WICHITA STATE (7-1) at MISSOURI (6-2) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

Especially with the luxury of replay. No way that was flagrant. It's not our fault Grill sucks at dunking. They should have given the flagrant to the rim. That really hurt us badly.
    I think they only made 1 FT and then didn't make anything with the possession ..so while it was a horrible flagrant call, It really didn't hurt us that much. It was a foul, and they were going to shoot 2 either way.

Comment

• If I would known our situation what I see now preseason, and you told me that we would be 7-2 now, would I be Shocked and Happy. YES,!!! AND YES!!!
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
        Tough sports day yesterday in the Bluz household. Tough to make those threes on tired legs at the end of the game. I think our guys can handle the physicality, but that was just too much for only seven guys.

I’m hopeful Cortes gets cleared to play this next semester if for no other reason than we need all hands on deck (and most definitely a PG). But I’m sensing that many on this board are setting us (themselves) up for disappointment. I’m sure he’s going to have up and down games once he gets on the court and Shockernet is going to have a field day with that!
        Some of the history aficionados might know but didn’t Stallworth only play 1/2 a semester his last year and might have cost us a serious opportunity at a National Championship when not available during the second half of the season?
        If Cortes is cleared to play the 2nd half of the season then wont he also be required to end his career at the end of the fall semester in a few years?
        Isn’t it better to have him eligible to end his career in March rather than December ?

Comment

• Originally posted by WINGdingBALLfling View Post
          That Mizzou team was as close to kryptonite for our current roster makeup as you can get. Experienced club that can apply extreme ball pressure with solid shot blockers patrolling the paint. Would love to play them again in a month, I would like our chances. Biggest take away was our guys didn't back down after a horrid start and still seem to be trending in the right direction. Overall it was a fun trip out to Columbia.

Also, I need to see a replay of the flagrant foul because it looked to me that Grill just tried to dunk it too hard. Then on the double tech, I wasn't sure what happened but when they announced it on the PA I figured it was going to be on Quincy Acy/ MU head coach. They had a nice long stare down near half court. Acy brought some fire to the bench that some might think Mills is missing lol.
          Your description of Mizzou matches Memphis fairly well also. If we want to generate the program rebuilding and ticket-selling momentum we all want to see, we probably need to either A) beat one of K-State/KU and/or B) challenge for 2nd or 3rd in the conference with a win or two against FAU/Memphis. Not saying that can't or won't happen, but most of the success of this season hinges on being able to beat a veteran, athletic team, that knows how to create turnovers. Hope they can figure it out. IB never could the last two seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post

Some of the history aficionados might know but didn’t Stallworth only play 1/2 a semester his last year and might have cost us a serious opportunity at a National Championship when not available during the second half of the season?
            If Cortes is cleared to play the 2nd half of the season then wont he also be required to end his career at the end of the fall semester in a few years?
            Isn’t it better to have him eligible to end his career in March rather than December ?
            The rules have changed since Stallworth played. Now if a player plays any part of a season it counts as the whole season.

I think Baker fell into that category. He sat until the MVC tourney, which was second semester, but that second semester only year for him was his entire Fr season.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

The rules have changed since Stallworth played. Now if a player plays any part of a season it counts as the whole season.

I think Baker fell into that category. He sat until the MVC tourney, which was second semester, but that second semester only year for him was his entire Fr season.
              And what a postseason he had!
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

And what a postseason he had!
                I was just thinking about that the other day. Ron came back really late. Like just in time for post-season. That magical run to Atlanta doesn't happen without him. Or any of the other guys as well, obviously. But he had already had a red-shirt season, correct? I don't think he could have gotten another year if he had sat out the rest of the season unless there was a special exception for a medical redshirt as well. What was his injury that year? Was it foot related?

Comment

• Can anyone confirm if the refs for our game jumped on a plane right after, heading for Green Bay?

I mean, the similarities are striking.

Phantom flagrant - questionable personal foul on the Mahomes run late
                  Swallowing the whistle on behalf of Mizzou's defense - Ignoring the mugging of MVS late

Comment

• An observation and a question:

1) As one of the dads used to holler during my son's high school games: "Too much damn dribbling!"
                    2) Why do you have the shortest guy on the team throwing the ball in when he can't seem to get it over whoever is guarding the in-bounds?
                    Last edited by Husker4Shockers; December 4, 2023, 07:15 PM.
                    "Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Husker4Shockers View Post
                      An observation and a question:

1) As one of the dad's used to holler during my son's high school games: "Too much damn dribbling!"
                      2) Why do you have the shortest guy on the team throwing the ball in when he can't seem to get it over whoever is guarding the in-bounds?
                      I think the same way. Bell is not a very good passer anyway and he's thrown away several balls from the inbounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post

Your description of Mizzou matches Memphis fairly well also. If we want to generate the program rebuilding and ticket-selling momentum we all want to see, we probably need to either A) beat one of K-State/KU and/or B) challenge for 2nd or 3rd in the conference with a win or two against FAU/Memphis. Not saying that can't or won't happen, but most of the success of this season hinges on being able to beat a veteran, athletic team, that knows how to create turnovers. Hope they can figure it out. IB never could the last two seasons.
                        honestly, I want the in over Memphis as bad as I do KU. Despise the few fans I’ve met, the overall vibe of the program with Penny. It’s killed me that they’ve ran the table on us since we joined the AAC.

i want mills to put that to a bloody end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                          I came away feeling better about the team and direction of the program than before the game. They were undermanned. They were in a tough environment and not getting a lot of breaks (#roadgamesarehard). They have some glaring weaknesses.

But they never folded. They just kept plugging away.

Keep at it.
                          Great assessment...they were in it until the end and they ARE undermanned.

Face it, this is a mildly undertalented, patchwork, put together late team with not much room for error.If people believe this is a tourney team, they are delusional. BUT they are working to rebuild a culture(I really hate that word) that should show great results NEXT year.

That said...miracles DO happen!

Comment

• What is a concern is with only seven playing and no PG we will become easier and easier to scout. Cortes really needs to become eligible or the bottom could fall out by January.

Comment

• This game went about how I anticipated it would go. Way too many TO's but credit Mizzou's defense and style of play. I was impressed with how the Shox never gave up and kept fighting to keep it close most of the way and claw their way back in to it. Another good rebounding game. That is all effort and this team does not lack in the effort department.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I'll 100% give you the bench involvement. Team is definitely jelling better too .. But Mills is definitely subdued even more than IB. Like I said, that's not a bad thing though.
                                You must be blind if you think he is more subdued than IB.

Comment

Working...
                                X