SAINT LOUIS (4-1) vs. WICHITA STATE (4-1) Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

It is a mildly sarcastic/tongue in cheek reference to a small handful of people who, in addition to being unnamed members of this fine forum, are personal friends who, along with me, discuss various goings on both Shocker and not Shocker related, utilizing technology outside of, again, this fine forum.

These unnamed individuals/posters are as intelligent, connected and thoughtful as Shocker fans get.

Although on second thought, that might not be saying very much.

As for specifics, I don't like to speak for others, but suffice it to say so far I am the most pessimistic of the group.
    Am I elite? Because I recently turned 40. Forty! FORTY!
    78-65

Comment

• Late watch due to travel.

Good:
      Offense going through Pohto
      Rogers’ shooting
      Ridgnal’s block (goaltend my heinie)

Questionable:
      Beating press against decent pressing team. Bilikens’ press was weak.
      Bell decision making

Big improvement from Liberty.

Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
        Late watch due to travel.

Good:
        Offense going through Pohto
        Rogers’ shooting
        Ridgnal’s block (goaltend my heinie)

Questionable:
        Beating press against decent pressing team. Bilikens’ press was weak.
        Bell decision making

Big improvement from Liberty.
        Help a brother out!

Where are you able to watch the replay? I just went on ESPN and they list about 138 games from Sunday but not ours. What am I missing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Dude View Post
          Great quote from HCPM in TE''s article," you're not going anywhere unless your foot is on the gas".
          Brilliant

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

It is a mildly sarcastic/tongue in cheek reference to a small handful of people who, in addition to being unnamed members of this fine forum, are personal friends who, along with me, discuss various goings on both Shocker and not Shocker related, utilizing technology outside of, again, this fine forum.

These unnamed individuals/posters are as intelligent, connected and thoughtful as Shocker fans get.

Although on second thought, that might not be saying very much.

As for specifics, I don't like to speak for others, but suffice it to say so far I am the most pessimistic of the group.
            Haha. That response is called a Shockernet Curly Shuffle. Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

Help a brother out!

Where are you able to watch the replay? I just went on ESPN and they list about 138 games from Sunday but not ours. What am I missing?
              Not sure. It was on TV so they black those out for a bit. Might check again. I had it on Youtube TV.
              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

Help a brother out!

It is now available on the ESPN2 replay site.

Comment

• Great. Thanks.

Comment

• Eldridge's post tourney observations:
                    Here are four different things coach Paul Mills hopes the Shockers can take away from their showing in South Carolina.

Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockrah View Post
                      Eldridge's post tourney observations:
                      https://news.yahoo.com/4-lessons-myr...ycsrp_catchall
                      Thought this was an interesting stat

"four-minute stretch in the second half when Liberty put the game away with a 19-2 run. The ball zipped around the perimeter for Liberty, which made 24 passes in the eight possessions during the run. WSU was on the other end of the spectrum, as it made six total passes during that same span and had a possession that featured 28 dribbles and no passes, which predictably ended with a badly-missed shot."

Four minute stretch where we passed the ball only 6 times ...

Otherwise a lot of good nuggets in there. Hope HCPM can drive those home and we see more of STL and less of Liberty going forward. The team that played STL can do some damage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Four minute stretch where we passed the ball only 6 times ...
                        Need to go Norman Dale on their asses
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I have avoided SN for a bit after this game but I’ll post my observations now.

They are still learning. They are not spacing and rotating the way they need to. Joy gets it but the core players are being more obstinate. At one point when St. Louis was coming back in the second, maybe with 3 to go, PM stopped them and made them space with no motion.

He is still coaching but it looks like he wanted to make some points on film. Almost every possession in the second there were 4 players on the same side of the court because they either don’t know, can’t remember, or don’t want to run the motion. When they do, KP opens up for a bunny, lanes open up for drives, and players end up in position for a drive and dish. But that doesn’t happen when they all run into each other at the 35’ line on the sideline.

Their defense lacks any where they need to communicate with each other, so maybe there’s some chemistry issues there as well.

What we are seeing is on the players, NOT PM or the staff. In fact, I am seeing more coaching from the entire bench, together as a unit, than since maybe the 11-13 years. This staff is pretty darn good. Ain’t no Donnie’s on this bench.

Bell doesn’t have the court vision to drive and dish, which is why he just drives. That will develop as the game slows down for him. Would be a very good back up/ 6th man.

KPs footwork is immaculate. A lot of his issues are effort, both from him and his teammates. Should get better as the year progresses and he gets used to the 4 and his responsibilities. It’s a shame his career was under terrible coaching for so long. He has yet to glimpse his ceiling.

DR is decent, but more Ramon than Cle. We are seeing his ceiling, I think.

QB is decent but needs meat on his bones.

Joy is extremely gifted. Built like Tekele but game like David Kyles. High motor, but very very raw. Would have been a red shirt if we have a deeper bench. Make me wonder how raw YB is.

We have the lowest level of walk-ons we have had since before Cam.

Also, I think it gets worse as they get tired, which means they are still having to think instead of react, which is also an indicator that they are still learning.

Every single player on this team is a project and needs intense coaching. It’s going to take a LOT of time before they are at AAC level. If they were to magically learn the system tomorrow and play like they have been playing together under mills their entire career, they would be “3rd in the AAC” level.

Im excited for the future, but don’t pretend that this was a turn key program. It was at one time, but that sailed around 2018.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Youttube replay of the St. Louis game

Comment

Working...
                              X