Enjoy the ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

To be fair, my reservations aren't with his on the court abilities. I think their is more than enough to work with there. My main reservations lie in whether he can get the level of dudes you need to compete in the AAC and the NCAA tourney. Unfortunately, that's not a question that can be answered mid year.
    I’ve heard from other coaches that theoretically, in a NIL world, wichita st should be thriving. We’ve got so much money here, and wichita st basketball is the only game in town. People need to get over themselves about Marshall and focus on the future. No points to be made anymore. That’s years past with a different regime.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I don't think I'm wrong though.
      You never are! You are a legend in your own mind.

Comment

Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post

You never are! You are a legend in your own mind.
        So you're saying the way politics has become so black and white has seeped into more people outside of politics than I believe? You believe that people as a whole cannot handle differing views in any aspect of life without becoming hostile?

If I'm wrong, heaven help us as there is no longer any hope for us.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I think where people are getting off is there are a few who never have anything positive to say or just ignore the positive and go out of their way to point out the negative; and there are people who never have anything negative to say or just ignore the negative and go out of their way to post the positive.

Both are fine in small doses. Both are toxic when they spam the board and demand everyone be ok with it.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

““Anybody can point out problems. Any idiot in the world can complain and identify things that are bad. But it’s a different level of person who can find solutions.”

HCPM via The Eagle 11/11/23

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

To be fair, my reservations aren't with his on the court abilities. I think their is more than enough to work with there. My main reservations lie in whether he can get the level of dudes you need to compete in the AAC and the NCAA tourney. Unfortunately, that's not a question that can be answered mid year.
              It's not whether you are wrong or right - you might end up being right, or even partially right. But you repeat various criticisms from the get-go over and over and over and over and over and over. That's why I liked Aargh's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                Maybe we should get “The Process” and his dad back!
                We have done nothing to deserve that!

Comment

Seems like some of the naysayers are clinching their butt cheeks right about now...

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                    Seems like some of the naysayers are clinching their butt cheeks right about now...
                    Yippers....
                    No point guard, we will all die!
                    Poor coach choice, why'd we hire him?
                    Rigdnal couldn't play much for swomo, can't do us any good.

And some who thought our savior would be KP, are starting to see he is an OK player, not great. Something the coaches need to work on for sure.

Seriously, this coaching staff is developing guys! If they can make these guys more cohesive, I believe this team will do better than any of us expected.

Comment

KenPom/Torvik Ratings of the D-1 teams we have beaten so far...

177/149, 153/198, 257/312

I'm certainly glad we are off to a 3-0 start, don't get me wrong. But the talent and depth is not great, and the lack of athleticism in our backcourt will likely hurt us, especially as we play a tougher non-con in December and during our conference season.

I'm not saying the sky is falling by any stretch; I enjoy the way this team plays and I think Paul Mills is getting more out of our guys, but I think we should hold the horses on our expectations for the team this season.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Yippers....
                        No point guard, we will all die!
                        Poor coach choice, why'd we hire him?
                        Rigdnal couldn't play much for swomo, can't do us any good.

And some who thought our savior would be KP, are starting to see he is an OK player, not great. Something the coaches need to work on for sure.

Seriously, this coaching staff is developing guys! If they can make these guys more cohesive, I believe this team will do better than any of us expected.
                        I'm liking what I see so far, but let's not get carried away.

We've beat 3 DI programs so far in Lipscomb, W Kentucky, and Coastal Carolina.

Lipscomb's only D1 win is over TNTC (who lost to Tennesse 80-42 and Murray St 78-72) and they lost to Drake 85-70.

W Kentucky is 2-1 with only D1 win over Murray St 86-81 (see above how strong they are).

We are Coastal Carolina's first D1 game. Their only other game was against D3 Piedmont who they beat 88-86.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                          KenPom/Torvik Ratings of the D-1 teams we have beaten so far...

177/149, 153/198, 257/312

I'm certainly glad we are off to a 3-0 start, don't get me wrong. But the talent and depth is not great, and the lack of athleticism in our backcourt will likely hurt us, especially as we play a tougher non-con in December and during our conference season.

I'm not saying the sky is falling by any stretch; I enjoy the way this team plays and I think Paul Mills is getting more out of our guys, but I think we should hold the horses on our expectations for the team this season.
                          I totally agree and that seems to be the consensus view on Shockernet. But the point of this thread is to support the process of building a solid foundation and we are very much early in that process. It will be interesting to se how the team holds up over the grind of the season and the tougher competition to come.

Comment

Good points sure...but we got a brand new coach with only 1 starter back from last season. Just getting all that up to speed in such a short amount of time to start the season is tough for any coach and player. Sure it may go south when the competition gets tougher but a 4-0 start while seeing some really positive player development is nothing short of positive.

Bigger crowds at Koch would not suck for this new group. Hoping more fans start showing up as the season progresses. Might even help add a few more games to the WIN column. As of today I'm not at all discouraged.

Go Shocks!!!
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Some encouraging things for me:

- 6 of our 7 rotation players are shooting 43% + from the field (3 over 50%)

- 3 rotation players shooting over 40% from 3 point (Dalen over 50%)

- 3 rotation players averaging 8+ rebs per game

- 5 of the 7 rotation players scoring 10+ pts per game

***disclaimer*** I understand it is a small sample size against weak competition and not likely to be sustained. But it is a pleasant start to the season given the expectations
                              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Not sure what part of my post makes you think I am being overly optimistic

"Seriously, this coaching staff is developing guys! If they can make these guys more cohesive, I believe this team will do better than any of us expected."

Comment

Working...
                                X