Enjoy the ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enjoy the ride

The future is bright under PM. It's refreshing to have a coach who looks comfortable in his element. It's a huge upgrade over the incompetence we endured. He knows what the hell is doing and it shows on the court, during timeouts, cohesive coaching staff, media interactions (the coaches show is worth listening too), and recruiting. It's clearly a more entertaining product that is far from finished.

Do we have the roster in place to get to where we want to be? Every reasonable person knows the answer is no and 95% of this board understands it takes time to put the correct pieces together. I'm encouraged by the two recent top 150-200 recruits and it's only going to get better. It's the start of year 1 and we won't have the glaring roster issues going forward. If we do then it's reasonable to critique PM on the roster.

No doubt we will take some lumps this season. I expect to get thumped in the non-con and there might be multiple beat downs along with losing streaks. When that happens it's guaranteed that certain posters will be loud and clear with an "I TOLD YOU SO" validating message. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we are all fans that want the same results. My opinion is that those hung up on the current roster construction and execution of the game plan expected instant gratification through the portal.

To address the elephant, is PM responsible for Cortez and having no natural PGs? I think the argument can be made either way since no one knows the truth behind who's responsible for academic eligibility issues. PM can certainly be criticized for not recruiting a 2nd PG but that is an issue for the present and I'm not worried at all about this becoming a future issue.

I'm perfectly fine with PM building the foundation and culture this inaugural season. I don't believe we'll encounter major roster issues after this season. There is every indication that things will only get better from here on out. Unless he proves otherwise, I'm going to trust PM and the process.

Somehow "the process" has gotten a completely different meaning on this board.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
      PM can certainly be criticized for not recruiting a 2nd PG
      We know he was unable to sign a 2nd point guard, but do we know that he made no attempt to recruit a 2nd point guard?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

We know he was unable to sign a 2nd point guard, but do we know that he made no attempt to recruit a 2nd point guard?
        Recruit/bring in...doesn't really matter to me at this juncture. I'm more concerned about the long view.

Comment

Why would you come to a Shocker forum to specifically root against the Shockers having success? Some people...
          "Say it slowly and savor it..."
          Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

How quickly people forget that PM recruited and coached Max Abmas to All American status at ORU. We will be fine.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by wsushockerdude View Post
              Why would you come to a Shocker forum to specifically root against the Shockers having success? Some people...
              Who is doing that?
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I was absolutely thrilled to see all the adjustments that took place last night. We were really struggling with their hard hedges on high ball screens, coming in the 2nd half Mills seemed to completely scratch that from the offense and we pretty much ran dribble handoffs at will to get 4 or 15 switched onto whoever we wanted to use to attack them. That was what got Beverly going and helped us get some breathing room on the scoreboard. I think almost every player on the roster looks as good or better than I hoped - maybe not Kenny but he's more of a proven player than anyone else and I don't really doubt that he will come around.

Comment

Also - Mills has talked about how they chart all shots in practice, not necessarily to go all in on 3s and layups, but he wants guys to know where they are actually good at scoring on the floor and try to get to those types of shots. This has definitely shown up in the games IMO, sure there have been a few questionable shots, but there's always going to have to be in the college game with perimeter talent being inferior to the NBA. The encouraging part is the questionability of the bad shots that have been taken results from the timing of it in the shot clock or being well guarded - doesn't seem that anyone who has no business launching pull up jumpers is launching pull up jumpers, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                    How quickly people forget that PM recruited and coached Max Abmas to All American status at ORU. We will be fine.
                    And maybe the fact we waited for Abrams to make a decision where he was going may have caused a bit of a delay in finding a point. And Mills was already behind when he was hired.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                      That was all his assistants.

(Sarcasm)

Comment

Someone needs to be collecting screenshots of all the negative Nancys who have no ability to see the present / future because of their anger over the past….I mean hell, none of the people responsible for the past are still involved.

Most of those takes will look absolutely ridiculous in a couple years and I don’t think the board should let them off the hook.

I’d venture a guess that their grudge oriented views have hurt them both professionally and personally for most of their lives.

Comment

Maybe we should get “The Process” and his dad back!

Comment

Originally posted by Regul8te View Post
                            Someone needs to be collecting screenshots of all the negative Nancys who have no ability to see the present / future because of their anger over the past….I mean hell, none of the people responsible for the past are still involved.

Most of those takes will look absolutely ridiculous in a couple years and I don’t think the board should let them off the hook.

I’d venture a guess that their grudge oriented views have hurt them both professionally and personally for most of their lives.
                            So if it DOESN'T work out, should the board not let you and others off the hook for sunshine pumping? Kind of a hot take there, well really this whole post is a stretch.

There is a lot different viewpoints here and you are lumping everyone that isn't Rah Rah Rah into one category.
                            • There are definitely some people like you mention that are hung up that Marshall was fired and anything less than Marshall himself back on the sideline is not good enough.
                            • There are people that are upset Brown was not given more time and will go negative towards anything in the future
                            • There are people that realize Marshall dug his own grave (even if there might have been other options besides firing) and also realize that Brown needed to go but aren't sold on the fact that Mills is the right guy for WSU yet.
                            • Then there are people that wanted Brown gone so bad that any little positive thing about Mills validates that he's the perfect coach and no one should challenge that because they want to be right about firing Brown. They can't separate the firing decision and the hiring decision as two independent things.
                            • Then there are the true sunshine pumpers where we could literally hire a donkey to sit on the sidelines and they would swear they could see improvements.
                            Every single one of these groups will be wrong in some way shape or form. Its a freaking message board, people post takes and hot takes based on data available at any given point in time. That data will evolve and people evolving one way or the other is a GOOD thing .. not something to beat someone over the head with. Now if Mills takes us to multiple tourneys in the next 3 years and people are still holding onto their negative viewpoints because its not Marshall or whatever .. that's a different story.

Not even going to comment on the ridiculousness of the last statement

Comment

Instead of self imposed bans for bad predictions and such, we should normalize going to Walmart, buying a blue or red KU shirt, writing “shockernet made me do it” in sharpie front and back and wear it to the next white/black/yellow out.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                              X