• Show
Clear All

• shockrah
    replied
    Taylor's story on preseason AAC poll:

Leave a comment:

• asiseeit
    replied
    QB has to turn into a healthy beast. KP has to adapt to the PF position. I think Beverly could be a stud, we'll see. Obviously, Rogers has to be deadly and Cortez must take care of the ball and be a darn good facilitator/quarterback. One or two other upside surprises and we could finish third to fifth. No, I haven't forgot Germany. Counting on solid play from him. I don't think Ricks was a good fit and won't be missed. Abidde remains a big ?

Leave a comment:

• Signman
    replied
    T-Page for American Athletic Conference - Customizable College Basketball Tempo Free Stats - T-Rank (barttorvik.com)

Bart Torvik has us as 4th but home and away will likely change that.

Leave a comment:

• Kung Wu
    replied
    We play the top two conference contenders twice. And then we play Tulane, third place contender once ... at THEIR place. And then the 4th place contender UAB once ... at THEIR place. That's 6 freakin' tough outs and we're just getting started.

There is no breathing room other than at the very beginning. After that we are in a protracted 4 month war trying to execute an assault on a fixed position while having to dance like M.C. Hammer in an open mine field with no hope for resupplies of ammunition.

This could be an MVC style slaughter. The entire conference is so freakin' even -- in a macroeconomic sense -- as nearly everybody we face is in the top 50%. At least according to this preseason projection: https://theresourcenexus.com/college...ball-rankings/

WSU is project number 100 on that list.

Just look at our schedule ...

Lipscomb - 122

Western Kentucky - bottom 50%
    Friends - DII
    Coastal Carolina - bottom 50%

Liberty/Furman - 141/157
    Random top 50 team in Myrtle Beach Invitational

Richmond - 153
    Missouri - 50
    South Dakota State - 178
    Kansas State - 42
    Kansas - 1

North Texas - 101
    Temple - 185
    Memphis - 35
    Florida Atlantic - 16
    South Florida - 140
    East Carolina - 128
    SMU - 90
    Tulsa - 138
    Memphis - 35
    UTSA - 187
    Florida Atlantic - 16
    East Carolina - 128
    Charlotte - 162
    Tulsa - 138
    Temple - 185
    UAB - 106
    Rice - 129
    Tulane - 81

We have 3 cracks against Top 20 teams, and then 7 cracks against projected tournament teams. So that's the upside. Wish it weren't a rebuilding year when we had this schedule though.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerFever
    replied
    There is no chance ECU finishes 5th. If they do, then this league is Valley-level trash.

Leave a comment:

• WuShock16
    replied
    For God’s sake, can we beat Memphis for once? I’m kinda sick of getting pummeled by those jackholes.

Leave a comment:

• shockerfan
    replied
    Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
    History tells me that WSU basketball has a proud tradition. We have a lot of fan support. We don't tolerate losing <ahem!> very well. I would say the collective willpower and knowledge of the game of the fans in Wichita is far greater than some and/or many of the teams picked ahead of Wichita State. So looking at the HCPM resume, what you're telling me, is that he will coach these players quite possibly up to the level that would have been done under a Mike Cohen, Randy Smithson, or even Scott Thompson team?

Well, most of that has little to zero to do with how many games this team will win THIS year, especially the fan and tradition stuff.

Now, long term I expect to be winning sooner rather than later.

Leave a comment:

• JVShocker
    replied
    History tells me that WSU basketball has a proud tradition. We have a lot of fan support. We don't tolerate losing <ahem!> very well. I would say the collective willpower and knowledge of the game of the fans in Wichita is far greater than some and/or many of the teams picked ahead of Wichita State. So looking at the HCPM resume, what you're telling me, is that he will coach these players quite possibly up to the level that would have been done under a Mike Cohen, Randy Smithson, or even Scott Thompson team?

Leave a comment:

• shockerfan
    replied
    Yeah ECU surprises me a little. But everyone else I would have a hard time arguing we will be better than right now. I think 6th is our pre-season ceiling.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    I think that's a fair spot for the Shox. I'm a bit surprised by ECU. I know they should continue to improve, but 5 seems a bit high

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    AAC Coaches Pick Shockers to Finish 8th

American Athletic Conference Preseason Coaches Poll:
    First-Place votes in parenthesis
    1. Florida Atlantic (11) 167
    2. Memphis (3) 159
    3. Tulane 142
    4. UAB 128
    5. East Carolina 105
    6. North Texas 100
    7. SMU 97
    8. Wichita State 90
    9. South Florida 62
    10. Tulsa 59
    11. Rice 56
    12. Temple 49
    13. Charlotte 46
    14. UTSA 14
    Pretty modest expectations for the Shocks.

Leave a comment:

• forevershockerfan
    replied
    Here is a safe prediction. The Shockers will improve upon their dismal 3pt. shooting of 30.9 % which was 11th in AAC and 335th in the Country last Season. Our best team ranking was our rebounding margin which was 4th and 117th . This stat should also be improved.

I remember going to watch a Mark Hutton versus Cortez match up at Friends U. when East played Heights. Hutton was really impressive that night but I kept saying "who is #44 for East?" It was Adrian Griffin who really played well that night.

Leave a comment:

• pinstripers
    replied
    Not Cortez Barnes

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    Looks like Barnes knew it was going in the moment Rogers shot it. Either that or Barnes needs to go to the hoop for a board.
    I assume you mean Bijan Cortes. Depends on what HCPN wants in that situation. Could be he wants Cortez getting back on defense as his first priority, although he was exactly busting a gut to do so.

Leave a comment:

• Aargh
    replied
    Not quite ready to make a thread for Rogers, but Eldridge says he can be an on-ball player. Looks like Barnes knew it was going in the moment Rogers shot it. Either that or Barnes needs to go to the hoop for a board.

Edit: Dang! My bad - very, very bad. I meant Cortes. I knew that when I was writing the post. I have no idea how the name slipped that badly when I typed it.

I'm not a twitter user and have no idea how this link is going to work

https://twitter.com/tayloreldridge/s...0b3u9yWoA&s=08
    Last edited by Aargh; October 2, 2023, 11:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X