Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forevershockerfan
    replied
    I'm wondering if HCPM places the weak 141st rating that KenPom gave us in magnified form in the Shocker locker room to light a fire to demand and earn much more respect than that?

Leave a comment:

• Jhook89
    replied
    Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

That sentence is about as nonsensical as it gets around here.
    Pohto is the best player returning from last years team. He has been in the neighborhood as good as Nurger was up to this point. I liked Nurger. Solid piece that could have started on certain teams over the last 10-15 years. I never stated Nurger was bad. I never stated Pohto couldn’t improve. I stated our predicted position in the pole was reasonable, because our best returning player has looked similar to a solid player we had 6 years ago. Nothing nonsensical about it. It seems you created some narrative in your head and ran with it. Believe whatever you’d like.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerExpress
    replied
    Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
    5-8 are clustered together on points. Seems like fairly reasonable prediction. Our best returning player Pohto is about as good as Nurger, who couldn’t start for us 5 years ago.
    That sentence is about as nonsensical as it gets around here.

Leave a comment:

• shockerfan
    replied
    I like Kenpom. And I love math/statistics. However, I don't think there is a formula out there that could predict this team right now. WAY too many variables. I will wait and see how it plays out for a few weeks before I worry too much about it.

Leave a comment:

• WuShock16
    replied
    KenPom is understandably missing the final two games in Myrtle Beach. Let's say for fits and giggles that we split those two games, making us 2-1 in Myrtle Beach. That would put us at 9-2 going into KC games.

Lord help this board if we go from 9-2 to 9-9. We have been pissy enough over the last 3+ years. Let's not keep adding to it.
    Last edited by WuShock16; October 16, 2023, 03:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• shockrah
    replied
    Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Wichita State basketball coach Paul Mills, a KenPom ‘addict,’ reacts to WSU prediction

College basketball statistician Ken Pomeroy released his annual preseason rankings on Sunday, revealing the Shockers as the No. 141 team in the country — their lowest starting point to a season in the 14-year run on KenPom.

WSU entered last season ranked No. 83 in KenPom’s preseason rankings and finished the season ranked No. 102, the second straight season where the Shockers slid backward from their preseason projection.

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy

Pomeroy’s system projects Wichita State to finish with a 14-15 record in the 2023-24 season with an 8-10 mark in American Athletic Conference play. The Shockers, who were picked eighth by coaches in the preseason poll, are pegged as the ninth-best team in the American behind Memphis (No. 32), Florida Atlantic (No. 37), North Texas (No. 87), UAB (No. 90), SMU (No. 92), Tulane (No. 95), South Florida (No. 127) and East Carolina (No. 130).

Mills enjoyed poking fun at the KenPom preseason rankings, but his fandom of KenPom during the season is no joke. He considers himself an “addict” to the website that shows where teams rank in different analytical categories, both nationally and in their conference.

The two categories Mills will be checking the most this season? Rebounding percentage and turnover percentage. Last year’s WSU team clocked in at No. 187 nationally in turnover percentage on offense and No. 166 nationally in defensive rebounding percentage.

Thanks '72-
    Non-Eagle link:

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Wichita State basketball coach Paul Mills, a KenPom ‘addict,’ reacts to WSU prediction

College basketball statistician Ken Pomeroy released his annual preseason rankings on Sunday, revealing the Shockers as the No. 141 team in the country — their lowest starting point to a season in the 14-year run on KenPom.

WSU entered last season ranked No. 83 in KenPom’s preseason rankings and finished the season ranked No. 102, the second straight season where the Shockers slid backward from their preseason projection.

Pomeroy’s system projects Wichita State to finish with a 14-15 record in the 2023-24 season with an 8-10 mark in American Athletic Conference play. The Shockers, who were picked eighth by coaches in the preseason poll, are pegged as the ninth-best team in the American behind Memphis (No. 32), Florida Atlantic (No. 37), North Texas (No. 87), UAB (No. 90), SMU (No. 92), Tulane (No. 95), South Florida (No. 127) and East Carolina (No. 130).

Mills enjoyed poking fun at the KenPom preseason rankings, but his fandom of KenPom during the season is no joke. He considers himself an “addict” to the website that shows where teams rank in different analytical categories, both nationally and in their conference.

The two categories Mills will be checking the most this season? Rebounding percentage and turnover percentage. Last year’s WSU team clocked in at No. 187 nationally in turnover percentage on offense and No. 166 nationally in defensive rebounding percentage.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 21, 2023, 07:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    5-8 are clustered together on points. Seems like fairly reasonable prediction. Our best returning player Pohto is about as good as Nurger, who couldn’t start for us 5 years ago.
    I don't recall any opposing coaching calling Nurger perhaps the best returning center in the league

Leave a comment:

• pogo
    replied
    What system of metrics do you use do make that observation

Leave a comment:

• AZ Shocker
    replied
    He do make some nice passes that's fer sure.

Leave a comment:

• forevershockerfan
    replied
    What I do like about K. Pohto so far is his ability to pass for assists while also keeping his turnovers to a mild roar. It was huge to me that he returned as a Shocker and he is only a Junior. If he returns next Season, his loyalty to our Program is not so common these days. As he was making his final choice for this Season, he continued participating as a Shocker while other Shockers moved on.

Leave a comment:

• Jhook89
    replied

Leave a comment:

• asiseeit
    replied
    Personally, I like the tough schedule. I want to play the best teams the most and I would bet that the players and coaches feel the same way.

Leave a comment:

• forevershockerfan
    replied
    It appears SN prognostications and publications are predicting anywhere from a Shocker 3rd to 8th finish in this here AAC. Our Conference Schedule is not our friend.. Hopefully, our Non-Con Schedule will prepare our Shocks to find team unity and success for the challenges to follow.

KP, Germany, and Colby should lead the way with some good help from Beverly. Our bench and rebounding should be improved. The next 5 players that could make a dent on whether we finish third or 8th seems to be Cortes, Bell, Abbide, DR, and Ballard. We should go 9 deep without skipping a beat. Too early to state facts or bet the farm, but my opinions have always been free and sometimes unsolicited. Before we know it, another exciting Season of Shocker Hoops will begin.
    Last edited by forevershockerfan; October 9, 2023, 10:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pinstripers
    replied
    Schedule does us no favors.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X