No announcement yet.

AAC next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the AAC will be the top basketball conference behind the P5 and BE. MWC may have a better rating, but the AAC has a presence in the South and on the East coast. The MWC struggles for viewers with time zone issues. The AAC is likely to get better TV deals than the MWC because of that. That should make the AAC a better conference for membership even if the MWC rates better as a conference.

If the B12-2-2+4 raids the Pac-12 to go to 16 and the Pac-12 raids the MWC to restock, the MWC is basically dead as a conference. I think the Shox are in a good place Going to the BE is probably not an option. The AAC is the best place the Shox could realistically land. WSU has the resources to be a fairly regular tourney team in the AAC if the next hire is a good one and the donors throw in their support.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

North Texas - 65
      Oklahoma State - 59

North Texas punched its ticket to the NIT Final Four by winning in Overtime at Oklahoma State tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
        North Texas - 65
        Oklahoma State - 59

North Texas punched its ticket to the NIT Final Four by winning in Overtime at Oklahoma State tonight.
        They will have a new coach next year. Hope they maintain this level
        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Charlotte 49'ers punched its ticket to the CBI Championship by winning against Radford tonight.

Championship tomorrow on ESPN2:

Charlotte
          (21-14, 9-11 Conference USA)

versus

Eastern Kentucky
          (20-13, 12-6 ASUN)

Comment

Charlotte 49'ers win the 16-team CBI Championship tonight.

Eastern Kentucky = 68
            Charlotte = 71

Every little bit helps.

How have the last five champions fared during the next season:
            Year Winning Team Next Season
            2017 Wyoming 20 - 13
            2018 North Texas 21 - 12
            2019 South Florida 14 - 17
            2020 Canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
            2021 Pepperdine 7 - 25
            2022 UNC Wilmington 24 - 10

Comment

Future 2023-24 AAC Member, UAB punches it ticket to the NIT Final Four in Vegas.

UAB = 67
              (C-USA 27-9)

@ Vanderbilt = 59
              (SEC 22-14)

Comment

Someone posted this on the AAC board. It's this season's avg attendance numbers:

Charlotte…..2,985
                ECU……………4,178
                FAU…………….2,238
                Memphis….11,444
                North Tx…….3,609
                Rice…………….1,882
                SMU…………….3,916
                Tulane……..….1,188
                Tulsa…………….3,972
                UAB………………3,775
                UTSA…………….1,051
                WSU……………..7,137
                Temple and USF are missing for some reason. I checked a sampling of games for them and Temple was in the low 4000s, USF varied widely, but was usually in the mid-2000s, so I'll give them an optimistic 3000.

That number for Tulsa has to be at least double actual butts in seats, right?

Hopefully those numbers tick up next year, especially for the new members, but those are sobering (in a bad way) numbers. I know there's a lot of factors at play, and I'm not advocating for going back to the Valley, but the MVC obliterated those numbers for at least the mid-2000s up until we left.

I guess that's the price of being in a conference with schools who emphasize football. We need to get better so Memphis can become a rivalry.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                  Someone posted this on the AAC board. It's this season's avg attendance numbers:

Temple and USF are missing for some reason. I checked a sampling of games for them and Temple was in the low 4000s, USF varied widely, but was usually in the mid-2000s, so I'll give them an optimistic 3000.

That number for Tulsa has to be at least double actual butts in seats, right?

Hopefully those numbers tick up next year, especially for the new members, but those are sobering (in a bad way) numbers. I know there's a lot of factors at play, and I'm not advocating for going back to the Valley, but the MVC obliterated those numbers for at least the mid-2000s up until we left.

I guess that's the price of being in a conference with schools who emphasize football. We need to get better so Memphis can become a rivalry.
                  From the Mills interview u posted, HCPM seemed excited about WSU having 7,000 attendance. Imagine how excited he will be when it is sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

From the Mills interview u posted, HCPM seemed excited about WSU having 7,000 attendance. Imagine how excited he will be when it is sold out.
                    He was impressed with 7,000 on a super bowl Sunday when the Chiefs were playing

But earlier in the interview he mentioned playing in front of 10,300 (was a couple hundred short....but I will cut him slack)

So I think he is expecting to fill the arena. But he seems pretty smart. He knows he has to win (both the games and the fans). I think he will.
                    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Now up to :
                      2 NIT Final Four teams
                      1 CBI champ
                      1 Elite 8 team

and Memphis

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                        Now up to :
                        2 NIT Final Four teams
                        1 CBI champ
                        1 Elite 8 team

and Memphis
                        And a Mills coached Wichita St team

Comment

After last night I would say FAU might be the favorite to win the conference next year.

But I give it less than a 50% chance they keep Dusty May and half or more of their top players. I think the more realistic expectation is that after the dust settles (new coach, mostly new roster), they'll be bottom half of the league.

I sure hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Sucks losing Houston but I’m getting excited about this new crop of teams coming in. My opinion has changed a lot since they first announced the teams.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                              After last night I would say FAU might be the favorite to win the conference next year.

But I give it less than a 50% chance they keep Dusty May and half or more of their top players. I think the more realistic expectation is that after the dust settles (new coach, mostly new roster), they'll be bottom half of the league.

I sure hope I'm wrong.
                              I do think Dusty May will move on at some point but the only big openings at the moment are Texas, Penn State, and Call (lol). Of those jobs Penn State is the only possible match and it's one of the worst jobs in the Big 10. I could see him waiting for the next cycle and finding a better fit.

Comment

Texas is about to fall into the “Hire the Interim” blackhole.

Maybe he’s the right guy, maybe not.

If he isn’t, they probably already have their man lined up to take over.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X