SOURCES: Brown out at Wichita State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

I would think it 'funny' that the brilliant hoops minds here perhaps helped undermined a growing coach and ended with a lesser one....sometimes karma shows up.

But, no...I WANT WSU to hire a great coach...kind of enjoying the angst among the great unwashed, though........
    A growing coach??? Pretty flat and stagnant record throughout the year if you look at the results.

Comment

I would think it 'funny' that the brilliant hoops minds here perhaps helped undermined a growing coach and ended with a lesser one....sometimes karma shows up.

But, no...I WANT WSU to hire a great coach...kind of enjoying the angst among the great unwashed, though........
      I think we know what you're getting at, so why don't you just say it?
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post

A lesser coach then Isaac Brown!? I really don't think that is possible. How in the world are there people who actually defend him!?
        I was all for ditching him and still support that decision, but we could do worse. I don't think we will though.

Comment

Some are so delusional and butt hurt. WSU is not a program where u come grow at. Sorry, we are not Illinois State.

There was no growth anyway. WSU finished exactly where Parrish and Norlander predicted in the preseason. They even said that HCIB actually needed to exceed expectation or this program would be in trouble. It didn’t happen.

Comment

• WSU's best win of the season was against a mediocre Tulane team that couldn't even make the NIT. Other than that game, WSU exclusively beat teams below them in predictive metrics.

Those results are not worthy of another season.

Comment

it would be funny to me if the next coach is less appealing than IB....
              That would not be funny in the least bit.

Comment

• Let’s not forget how coaching change compares to last two:

Mark Turgeon to Gregg Marshall: Left a core of contributors one year removed from a Sweet 16 and achieved a Top 10 Ranking that year.

Gregg Marshall to Isaac Brown: Left a deep and experienced team and strong recruiting class that went 23-8 and likely would have been an NCAA Tournament team with a strong performance in AAC Tourney.

Isaac Brown to new coach:

Comment

• I'm happy that Isaac Brown was shown the door, but anyone who does not think the team was improving (at a level greater than an average team improves throughout the season) from about early January to the end of the season either did not watch the games or is such a world class hater that they can't bring themselves to see the truth.

There are a few games down the stretch that we lost to very quality opponents that would have been much closer had the dropoff from our starting 5 to our next 3 not been so severe. And depth is a problem WSU has had since Marshall's last two years when players started transferring out in droves.

Every head coach learns on the job. If they didn't, they'd never improve. Isaac Brown started pretty low--clearly lower than we'd want. But Isaac Brown is probably going to end up as the head coach at a caliber of school where we are currently looking at pulling our next head coach.
                  The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

I think we know what you're getting at, so why don't you just say it?
                    I guess I'm missing what he's getting at..

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post

I guess I'm missing what he's getting at..
                      The insinuation was that it’s a racial issue.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
                        I'm happy that Isaac Brown was shown the door, but anyone who does not think the team was improving (at a level greater than an average team improves throughout the season) from about early January to the end of the season either did not watch the games or is such a world class hater that they can't bring themselves to see the truth.

There are a few games down the stretch that we lost to very quality opponents that would have been much closer had the dropoff from our starting 5 to our next 3 not been so severe. And depth is a problem WSU has had since Marshall's last two years when players started transferring out in droves.

Every head coach learns on the job. If they didn't, they'd never improve. Isaac Brown started pretty low--clearly lower than we'd want. But Isaac Brown is probably going to end up as the head coach at a caliber of school where we are currently looking at pulling our next head coach.
                        Yes, the improved. But are folks really celebrating an 8-7 record over the last 15 games? The is definitely improvement over that first part of the season. And since maybe we all can agree that that is improvement, that is why IB is no longer coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

The insinuation was that it’s a racial issue.
                          I guess that his problem then.

Comment

Well, they both beg definition....'karma' here is the crowd that dismissed Brown early and often, and yet there is NO GUARANTEE that someone better will show up....and the 'great unwashed 'is a term loosely for experts in a field they have no expertise in, or power or influence....I'm in that group as well....
                            There are never guarantees someone better will show up. But you see someone not succeeding and make a change.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
                              I'm happy that Isaac Brown was shown the door, but anyone who does not think the team was improving (at a level greater than an average team improves throughout the season) from about early January to the end of the season either did not watch the games or is such a world class hater that they can't bring themselves to see the truth.

Well said. For further perspective, WSU is about to hire a Coach who competed against the #1 ranked Cougars of Houston this year and lost 83-45. We all want and deserve a Coach who can at least compete with the Houston's of College Basketball, which is something even GGG struggled with his last couple of years.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Well said. For further perspective, WSU is about to hire a Coach who competed against the #1 ranked Cougars of Houston this year and lost 83-45. We all want and deserve a Coach who can at least compete with the Houston's of College Basketball, which is something even GGG struggled with his last couple of years.
                                In the end what is the difference between his L to Houston and WSU's 2 L's this season to Houston?

Comment

Working...
                                X