Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full article on Yahoo:

https://news.yahoo.com/non-tradition...hssrp_catchall

“Who is the Boston Celtics’ point guard? Who is the Denver Nuggets’ point guard?” Mills asked rhetorically. “For me, it’s not a big deal. I don’t get caught up in, ‘You’re the 1, you’re the 2, you’re the 3, you’re the 4 and you’re the 5.’ It’s more about how do you play and what should the spacing look like, regardless of who has the basketball.”

After playing mostly off the ball to mixed results last season for the Shockers, incumbent guard Xavier Bell has shifted to more of a ball-handling role for the team in recent practices. The combo guard role is what he played his freshman year at Drexel when the team reached the NCAA Tournament.

The silver lining of Cortes’ absence is the additional repetitions in practice that secondary ball-handlers like Colby Rogers, a 6-foot-4 sharpshooter, and Miami transfer Harlond Beverly, a 6-foot-6 wing, will receive on the ball.

Another unique solution could be to involve Kenny Pohto, a 6-11 junior center, more in initiating the offense. Mills has studied the film of how the Swedish big man was unlocked in the second half of last season and became a play-making hub for the Shockers at the top of the key. More teams in the modern era of basketball are inverting their offenses and granting their big men the license to initiate the team’s offense around the perimeter. Pohto has the necessary skills to pull it off for the Shockers, Mills believes.

“I do get there’s a traditional way of looking at (positions), but the game has changed and there’s a lot of elements to it now,” Mills said. “Having guys that are versatile, that can step out and shoot the 3, can cut, can offensive rebound, can handle the ball. I mean, that’s Kenny. He can do all of those things. We definitely are going to want to use that skill set.”

In WSU’s first two team practices, Mills has constantly stressed the importance of spacing on offense. He frequently blew drills dead when players didn’t properly space the floor when running in transition. He wants players hugging the sidelines to try to create every inch of space for driving lanes. “The other thing I’ll tell you I think is important is how you keep score in practice,” Mills said. “So if you watch us scrimmage, we’re going to give extra points for an offensive rebound and take away points if you’re giving the ball up to the other team. So if you don’t value the basketball, then you’re going to hurt your team. We try to emphasize that you don’t want to help the other team more than ours.” That was a problem last season for the Shockers, which ranked No. 187 nationally in turnover rate. Outside of all-conference performer Craig Porter Jr., WSU’s collection of guards posted more turnovers (152) than assists (145) with the rest of the team doing the same — 322 turnovers to 273 assists. Mills will have target scores for every player with their assist-to-turnover ratio. “Everybody needs to be at least 1 to 1, I don’t care what your position is,” Mills said. “Then you try to challenge them. Good guards will be 2-to-1. Elite guards are going to be 3-to-1. You try to get them to realize there’s value there besides just scoring. In their minds right now, they’re thinking, ‘The more buckets I get, the more attractive I am.’ Well, that’s not always the case.”

Instead of bogging down the players with trying to install set plays, Mills has focused on teaching players the principles of the style of basketball he wants to play. “Once you get to the NCAA Tournament, even the conference tournament, teams are so good, coaches are so good that they’re going to take stuff away,” Mills said. “So if you’re predictable, teams are going to turn around and take that stuff away. I’ve been fortunate to be part of teams, whether at Baylor or ORU, that have advanced and when I go back and watch those teams, they are always way more organic. “The more their brains are moving, usually the slower their feet are. So the question is, ‘How can you be organic, but at the same time there’s some structure there?’ That’s the kind of stuff you’re up thinking about 24 hours a day.”

How well the Shocks adapt to this approach remains to be seen but I personally like this approach and they way Coach Mills thinks.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 19, 2023, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• Those of us in the "older fans" category are going to stroke out screaming things like:

"Stop shooting so many 3s!"

"Get the ball to a guard!"

"No! No! No! No!"

"Stop dribbling!"

Comment

• A few weeks ago I considered making a joke about using Pohto at PG because of his passing and assist numbers. Turns out it wouldn't have really been a joke. I saw some of this type of play watching the G-League games. I believe the announcers referred to it as something like a reverse pick and roll.

Mills' concept of teaching players HOW to play basketball instead of teaching a bunch of sets they have to memorize is interesting. I can see how that could work out well. I'm almost afraid to use these terms due to a previous coach. Mills seems to be a bit of a "let the dawgs be dawgs" kind of coach, but he's going to teach them how to be dawgs.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• You still need a good ball handler to bring the ball up under heavy pressure and XB didn’t give me the warm fuzzies last year with his ball handling skills

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Those of us in the "older fans" category are going to stroke out screaming things like:

"Stop shooting so many 3s!"

"Get the ball to a guard!"

"No! No! No! No!"

"Stop dribbling!"
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
              Article says Cortes has to finish his summer classes to be academically eligible and will not play in Greece. XB and maybe Rogers or Beverly will have more ball handling duty although his offense does not put a lot of emphasis on the PG role of initiating the offense.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

You still need a good ball handler to bring the ball up under heavy pressure and XB didn’t give me the warm fuzzies last year with his ball handling skills
                  That’s all in coaching. He looked good in the fast break drilled TE posted (at least I think it was Bell)

I like the idea of a Pohto point center. It would be a good way to stretch the defenses of American teams that are traditionally athletic.
                  Last edited by shock; July 27, 2023, 01:48 PM.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

You still need a good ball handler to bring the ball up under heavy pressure and XB didn’t give me the warm fuzzies last year with his ball handling skills
                    That's just plain reality. To quote HCPM: “Everybody needs to be at least 1 to 1, I don’t care what your position is,” Mills said. “Then you try to challenge them. Good guards will be 2-to-1. Elite guards are going to be 3-to-1."

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

That’s all in coaching. He looked good in the fast break drilled TE posted (at least I think it was Bell)

I like the idea of a Photo point center. It would be a good way to stretch the defenses of American teams that are traditionally athletic.
                      Everyone looks good with no defense. I’m not saying XB can’t dribble, but some guys make bad decisions with an elite defender in their jock.

Comment

Dribbling isn't the only option.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                            JFC. Is he trying to give TP a run for his money? This is his third team just in one offseason.
                            78-65

Comment

• Wth?? This kid needs some guidance. My goodness. Pick a lane man.

Comment

• Wasn't he supposed to be at UCF? What the hell happened there?
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X