Wichita State Triple Doubles = Rare Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State Triple Doubles = Rare Air

After today's game there have been 12 triple doubles in Shocker history by only 6 Shocker players. Fred's TD broke a 43 year streak without a TD. Another interesting thing is that Fred and Craig are the only 2 point guard who achieved that feat although I think Warren (Armstrong) Jabali could easily have played the point.

Points, Rebounds, Blocked Shots:

Gene Wiley 12 13 15 Purdue (12/11/1961)
    Gene Wiley 17 16 12 Santa Clara (12/21/1961)
    Gene Willey 22 23 10 Tulsa (1/18/1962)
    Gene Wiley 12 15 12 Louisville (1/27/1962)

Points, Rebounds, and Assists:

Dave Stallworth 19 12 10 Saint Louis (1/16/1965)

Warren Armstrong 18 12 10 So. Illinois (12/20/1965)
    Warren Armstrong 33 21 12 Arizona St. (12/11/1967)
    Warren Armstrong 29 13 10 Memphis (1/13/1968)
    Warren Armstrong 19 19 12 Loyola (2/26/1968)

Terry Benton 20 22 10 Tulsa (1/29/1972)

Fred VanVleet 10 10 11 Missouri St. (2/7/2015)

Craig Porter 15 10 10 Tulane (02/26/2023)

Comment

He's a pro. Could totally see him on some draft boards. He'll get an invite this summer nonetheless.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        After today's game there have been 12 triple doubles in Shocker history by only 6 Shocker players.
        It's mind boggling that X-man didn't achieve it.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

It's mind boggling that X-man didn't achieve it.
          Let me remind you of McDaniel's basketball philosophy:

Scoring - "I don't have time to share (assists) the ball, cause I'm going to lead the nation in scoring!"

Rebounding = "That's my ball and you can't have it!"

Defense (blocks) = "You won't want to ever bring that ball back into the paint!" (e.g., Jim Les, Bradley). McDaniel just didn't get the opportunity for blocks, because very few had the courage to bring it inside after their 1st encounter with the X-Man.

Did McDaniel lead the all-time record in double-doubles?

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post

Let me remind you of McDaniel's basketball philosophy:

Scoring - "I don't have time to share (assists) the ball, cause I'm going to lead the nation in scoring!"

Rebounding = "That's my ball and you can't have it!"

Defense (blocks) = "You won't want to ever bring that ball back into the paint!" (e.g., Jim Les, Bradley). McDaniel just didn't get the opportunity for blocks, because very few had the courage to bring it inside after their 1st encounter with the X-Man.

I could watch X-Man highlights all-day long; he was the recipient of many assists…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

X was mercurial his first 3 years. Was never the same after knee surgery/s (but still decent).

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post

I would be shocked if X was not the career leader in double-doubles and perhaps by a large margin. Although X only started 2 games his freshman year when he averaged 13.5 mpg, 5.8 ppg and 3.7 rpg, in his final 3 years he started all 89 games he played averaging 22.4 ppg and 14.1 rpg. However, I could not find that stat in the current media guide. Dave did average 10.5 rpg in his 3-year career that included 80 games so I doubt he would have more than X. Same could be said for Warren who played 78 games in his career. Antoine started 108 of the 112 games he played but was nowhere near the rebounder X was as Antoine's career rebounding average was 6.9 rpg with a high of 7.6 rpg his senior year. Cliff may have had more double-doubles than Antoine even as a 3-year player but his career averages where well below X's last 3 years and I doubt that he would have more double-doubles than X. Cleo Littleton's 4-year scoring and rebounding numbers were similar to Antoine.

However, the media guide does list a 20-20 club (points-rebounds). There have been 26 of the 20-20 double-doubles in school history by only 9 players. So not quite as rare as the triple-doubles but sill pretty rare.

Xavier McDaniel - 9
                Terry Benton - 6
                Gene Wiley - 3
                Warren (Armstrong) Jabali - 3
                Dave Stallworth - 1
                Ron Washington -1
                Ron Harris - 1
                Robert Elmore - 1
                Troy Mack - 1

Gene, Warren and Dave are the only Shockers in the triple-double club and the 20-20 club. You hear a lot about Warren's career and Dave's career, deservedly so. You don't hear too much about Gene Wiley, other than from his teammates. Dave always spoke very highly of Gene and what he contributed to those Valley of Death teams.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 27, 2023, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  After today's game there have been 12 triple doubles in Shocker history by only 6 Shocker players. Fred's TD broke a 43 year streak without a TD. Another interesting thing is that Fred and Craig are the only 2 point guard who achieved that feat although I think Warren (Armstrong) Jabali could easily have played the point.

Points, Rebounds, Blocked Shots:

Gene Wiley 12 13 15 Purdue (12/11/1961)
                  Gene Wiley 17 16 12 Santa Clara (12/21/1961)
                  Gene Willey 22 23 10 Tulsa (1/18/1962)
                  Gene Wiley 12 15 12 Louisville (1/27/1962)

Points, Rebounds, and Assists:

Dave Stallworth 19 12 10 Saint Louis (1/16/1965)

Warren Armstrong 18 12 10 So. Illinois (12/20/1965)
                  Warren Armstrong 33 21 12 Arizona St. (12/11/1967)
                  Warren Armstrong 29 13 10 Memphis (1/13/1968)
                  Warren Armstrong 19 19 12 Loyola (2/26/1968)

Terry Benton 20 22 10 Tulsa (1/29/1972)

Fred VanVleet 10 10 11 Missouri St. (2/7/2015)

Craig Porter 15 10 10 Tulane (02/26/2023)
                  Was Dave the Rave's Triple Double made in his FINAL game as a Shocker? He wasn't eligible to play in 1965 (so he was ineligible after the semester break ended), and ended his college career following the first semester of the season because he came in as a mid-year eligibility in the 1960-1961 year. If so, that was an amazing way to end his career.

He was also ineligible for the 1965 F4 run that the Shockers made. With Dave, they may have been National Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Was Dave the Rave's Triple Double made in his FINAL game as a Shocker? He wasn't eligible to play in 1965 (so he was ineligible after the semester break ended), and ended his college career following the first semester of the season because he came in as a mid-year eligibility in the 1960-1961 year. If so, that was an amazing way to end his career.

He was also ineligible for the 1965 F4 run that the Shockers made. With Dave, they may have been National Champions.
                    No. Dave's final home game was January 30, 1965 against Louisville. BTW, Dave did not have a bad game on his senior day just missing a 2nd T-D. 40 points, 15 rebounds, 9 assists. And the perfect words: “It’s been my pleasure playing for you,” Dave said.

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                        X was mercurial his first 3 years. Was never the same after knee surgery/s (but still decent).
                        Aaaaa, didn't he get drafted in the first round and got high marks in his NBA rookie season? I seriously don't remember for sure, but I sure thought that was true.
                        Whoever criticized X for lack of assist, just didn't understand X's game. He played inside and if the team got the ball into him it was like putting money in the bank. And if someone missed a shot, he was there to fix that problem frequently.
                        Why make a pass outside when you know you'll score inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Aaaaa, didn't he get drafted in the first round and got high marks in his NBA rookie season? I seriously don't remember for sure, but I sure thought that was true.
                          Whoever criticized X for lack of assist, just didn't understand X's game. He played inside and if the team got the ball into him it was like putting money in the bank. And if someone missed a shot, he was there to fix that problem frequently.
                          Why make a pass outside when you know you'll score inside.
                          The knee injuries came later in his career; his first or second year, he even made the NBA All-Star game.
                          Assuming SBT is referring to NBA and not NCAA play, but not really sure what he’s talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

The knee injuries came later in his career; his first or second year, he even made the NBA All-Star game.
                            Assuming SBT is referring to NBA and not NCAA play, but not really sure what he’s talking about?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavier_McDaniel
                            NBA Career Stats
                            13,606 (15.6 ppg)
                            5,313 (6.1 rpg)
                            1,775 (2.0 apg)

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavier_McDaniel
                              Sounds closer to my memory, which isn't saying much.

Comment

Working...
                              X