No announcement yet.

Wichita State: vs SMU (02/12/23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of us that didn't tune in, what happened with Rojas?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      Serious question. After we’ve gotten burnt most of the year on late game pressing situations, has that even been addressed at practice?
      Of course they practice against a press, since day 1. And they will continue to practice it the same as they did day 1. Throw the ball in the corner and draw a double team, then find the open man 15-25 foot away. We're doing it right, just got to do it better.

Sorry, that is a guess at what IB would say if asked that question. My take is that insanity is doing something twice or more and expecting different results. Kind of like running a football in the A gap on every play of a game.

Comment

• I would argue that inbounding in the deep corner is the WRONG thing to do. The end baseline and side baseline restricts any player when doubled and often leads to a turnover. Certainly has for us. Guy passing in bounds can run the entire baseline. Get the ball in the middle or relatively close on either side. Bring KP up to the free throw line as an option feeding him high and break a player long on both sides.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
          I would argue that inbounding in the deep corner is the WRONG thing to do. The end baseline and side baseline restricts any player when doubled and often leads to a turnover. C.
          Ya think? I think that is taught at the 4th and 5th grade levels. All traps are set in the corners for that reason. All double teams not in a corner are called double teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
            For those of us that didn't tune in, what happened with Rojas?
            Rojas was just being James.
            Did some of his usual dumb shiit and then waved of IB when he jumped him about it. The sooner he rides off into the sunset, the better.
            Alabama knew what they were doing when they told him, 'Don't go away mad, just go away.'

That is all.
            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              By the end of the game it was even worse as I believe a number of people left early so they could get where they needed to be for the Super Bowl. I can't really blame them for leaving. One game yesterday meant a ton and the other was just a game in the process of getting to the end of the season.

This team has maybe one win left.

I don't get people leaving, at least not in mass. Pro sports is just meh (to me at least). There just can't be a lot of emotional attachment to guys making millions that don't know you or care one iota about you. That's just me. Yes, a lot left with a minute to go (can't fault them for thinking the game was over) and more after regulation and then the 1st overtime. To watch a team in Missouri play? Everyone's got the game on their phone at this point. If you're already at the game....why not stay? The game was entertaining if not a little maddening.

I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Comment

• It was honestly a pretty fun game to watch. I lost hope with a couple minutes to go, thinking I was seeing a repeat of a repeat of a repeat ... but then got fired completely up when CPjr went insane mode.
                Last edited by Kung Wu; February 14, 2023, 10:26 AM.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I don't get people leaving, at least not in mass. Pro sports is just meh (to me at least). There just can't be a lot of emotional attachment to guys making millions that don't know you or care one iota about you. That's just me. Yes, a lot left with a minute to go (can't fault them for thinking the game was over) and more after regulation and then the 1st overtime. To watch a team in Missouri play? Everyone's got the game on their phone at this point. If you're already at the game....why not stay? The game was entertaining if not a little maddening.

I don't know, maybe it's just me.
                  As opposed to the emotional connection of the rent a teen college basketball atmosphere with players that don't know or care one iota about me?

Didn't you recently say you're a long time Bengals football fan? But you live in Kansas? How is that different from a team a couple minutes into Missouri that has long been the professional team of Kansas, Nebraska and at least western Iowa? I love you Doc, but I get so tired of that tired line of thinking. Like residents of states that don't have a professional team aren't allowed to watch and enjoy the sport and support the nearest team to them.

It's also difficult to have much emotional investment in a program that's fallen hard the last couple of years. Those people could stay and watch a close game between two bad teams or get where they needed to be to watch the two best teams in the NFL go at it, one being the local favorite. It's really not a difficult decision. And watching on your phone is not anywhere near the same as watching on a legit TV with your friends and family without the distractions of bad basketball going on around you.

Not saying the WSU game wasn't entertaining. But there's still a big difference between two bad basketball teams playing for nothing and the two best NFL teams playing for the ultimate prize.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• In case anyone is wondering, Sports Daily dedicated about 5 or 6 minutes to WSU today.

Look, I get the team isn’t very good. But man, it would be nice to at least have a little more coverage from the main local radio network. For me, it’s part of how I get my Shocker fix and it sucks right now.

Talk Angry hasn’t been updated for six months. Lol.
                    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                      In case anyone is wondering, Sports Daily dedicated about 5 or 6 minutes to WSU today.

Look, I get the team isn’t very good. But man, it would be nice to at least have a little more coverage from the main local radio network. For me, it’s part of how I get my Shocker fix and it sucks right now.

Talk Angry hasn’t been updated for six months. Lol.
                      They're getting the coverage they deserve.

Comment

They're getting the coverage they deserve.
                        Do WSU fans support their team no matter what? Or are we just bandwagon t-shirt fans when the team is doing well?

I ask that question because of the inconsistency of our application of fandom standards. Are we really better than fanbases we malign? Half of this board would rather root for the other team so we can get a coach fired.

Comment

Do WSU fans support their team no matter what?
                          No. Most of us are highly educated basketball fans not blind lemmings.

Comment

No. Most of us are highly educated basketball fans not blind lemmings.
                            So you’ve cheered for the other team because you want our coach to be fired? Probably a yes.

You can support the team, cheer for them, and still want change. Not that hard.

I have been sufficiently vocal about believing that IB is not the best option and should be let go. But I root for our team each game. If you don’t, I’m not sure why you are on a WSU message board or even purporting to be a WSU fan.

Comment

Do WSU fans support their team no matter what? Or are we just bandwagon t-shirt fans when the team is doing well?

I ask that question because of the inconsistency of our application of fandom standards. Are we really better than fanbases we malign? Half of this board would rather root for the other team so we can get a coach fired.
                              Half the board isn't rooting for the other team so we can fire the coach. Half the board just expects us to lose to the other team and fire the coach.

Can you blame fans for being down considering the trajectory of the program the last couple of years? Can you blame fans for wanting to see change so the program they love so much can be restored? Can you blame fans for expecting losses and for the team to fall apart in late game situations? Can you blame fans for disconnecting emotionally to the program after what we've seen the last couple of years? Can you blame fans for hoping a coaching change is made in the near future?

I don't think the fandom is really in question. The programs ability certainly is. And the fear of if it can recover is a legit fear amongst many which is why they want change to happen soon.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

So you’ve cheered for the other team because you want our coach to be fired? Probably a yes.

You can support the team, cheer for them, and still want change. Not that hard.

I have been sufficiently vocal about believing that IB is not the best option and should be let go. But I root for our team each game. If you don’t, I’m not sure why you are on a WSU message board or even purporting to be a WSU fan.
                                Wow talk about misinformation.

Comment

Working...
                                X