Wichita State: vs SMU (02/12/23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post

If Dexter got a 200k NIL (according to Kennedy) Pohto should garner at least that much from a power 5 school. There's no way we can compete with that even if we had a great coach.
    Dexter got that much? That's the amounts i was hearing for Council ...

Comment

• That was one of the strangest games I've seen in a very long time.

I don't know I've ever seen a team shoot 57% from the floor and 70+% from the line and still probably deserve to lose.

Not to beat a dead horse, but we're just a really poor ball handling team. Like historically bad dribbling. Every team we play has multiple players that can dribble better than our best player.

I legit felt bad for our guys having to suffer through that game, especially those that couldn't get a blow. I wanted to strangle Pooh when he put his hand up to come out...man Kenny's busting his ass all night and is dog tired, can you give him a 4 minute break just once?

Watching Rojas dismiss HCIB didn't work for me. I applaud his effort, especially of late, but he has to be better, for himself, the team, his coach and for life. That attitude isn't going to cut it in life young man.

25 turnovers. And man, all kinds! Charging, stepping out of bounds, bad passes, no recognition of defenders, trying to throw the ball to an official for reasons I can't explain, the same official blocking a pass that leads to a breakaway. And on and on and on and on......

Craig Porter deserves better. He's not perfect, but he's a gamer and his effort is always there. Jaykwon Walton is getting there. He's a superior athlete and getting better every game. He's becoming excellent (at least on ball) at defending if not elite. Needs to work on his jumper but the young man could be really special next year.

I love that Kenny is passing up the 3 and he's adapting to playing the role of a big man. He was outstanding against one of the better bigs in the league tonight. Still kind of a liability defensively but he is getting better.

Rojas sitting out I understand. You can't act like that. I hope they can repair it, for everyone's sake, but the problem is his and his alone.

I don't get Melvion getting all those minutes. He was abused defensively. He has no chance to stop players at this level. You just hope they miss. I get he's a shooter (how, I have no idea) but he played most if not all the OT and a bunch of the last 10 2nd half minutes. Bell played maybe 5 of those minutes? Don't get it.

I get Scott sitting. He was not good at all and his attitude was negative (more towards himself).

I'll have to watch again to see about Pierre. He didn't seem to be suffering the Rojas Syndrome. But I wasn't as locked in. I know he wasn't playing well, but I'm not as sour on his game as others are. I think you kind of have to live with some of the mistakes because there's so much upside and he possesses the athleticism to compete against almost anyone (unlike Melvion).

Abide is also a horrible liability defensively (he's SO lost out there) but you have to give him credit for better and more consistent effort tonight. Out of necessity, yeah, but still. That was a nice step forward for him, but he's going to HAVE to learn what to do on the defensive side or he's never really going to help us. And please, I'm begging, no more 360 layups.

I just don't understand why Gus doesn't play. I know he's kind of in a bad spot behind Walton mostly, but geez, we're bad, a lot....he can't see the floor when we're dog tired and others are permanently benched? Just don't get that one at all.

I can't begin to describe how poorly SMU played and coached and executed. Even the last possession....go for 2. If it goes to a 3rd OT we're toast. CP3 is gone and we have NO chance. NONE. And that's before Kenny and Jaykwon foul out (which would have been inevitable). We might have played with just 3 or 4 guys then. Go for the 2 or the foul.

The game was so poorly officiated it's not even worth rehashing.

Coach was incredibly grateful to me and my family after the game. Don't know how he does it sometimes.

I know it was Super Sunday, but the attendance was embarrassing. Especially the student sections which were all but empty. What the **** else do you have to do?

Regardless of what happens when the season is over, we're DEAD in the water with no PG. DEAD. We might as well be NMSU and suspend operations. It won't be worth playing the games with what we currently have to work with....

Pretty sure the better coach won. In fact I'm positive he did. Not sure what that says though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Are we just this dumb? I realize IB can’t coach but our players are freaking dumb.
        That’s a reflection of the coaching.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Serious question. After we’ve gotten burnt most of the year on late game pressing situations, has that even been addressed at practice?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            6 TO's from Porter, 6 from Walton, 5 from JP
            Against SMU. WSU's guards kept em in the game. Again...

Rojas should apologize to HCIB today and take it upon himself to run extra sprints at practice. And, oh yeah, keep his big ******* mouth shut. But he probably won't.
            Last edited by ShockingButTrue; February 13, 2023, 05:12 AM.

Comment

If Dexter got a 200k NIL (according to Kennedy) Pohto should garner at least that much from a power 5 school. There's no way we can compete with that even if we had a great coach.
              It'll take a while for that to sink in for a lot of us. Anyone who would think that the NIL is a secondary tool of 'enticement' is delusional. It ain't the Universities handing out that $$$. The players literally now have sponsors.

I seriously hope our next coach can entice a Walton or a Pohto, or get serious interest from a top 100 point guard.

Comment

Clanggggg!

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                  I’m sorry, I turned it off at the end of regulation… couldn’t handle it any longer. I’m turning into a bad fan.
                  Don't feel bad been a fan since 62-63 season and forgot about the game yesterday. Can't wait for this season to be over.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Clanggggg!
                    Ok, I kind of miss Shocktocles.

Well, no I don't. But Clanggggg will always be funny.
                    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• A majority of this board is still on the bargaining stage of grief. Even after a win. Root for the damn team for crying out loud.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                        A majority of this board is still on the bargaining stage of grief. Even after a win. Root for the damn team for crying out loud.
                        THANK YOU.....kids, after all.....

Better days ahead....

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Rojas should apologize to HCIB today and take it upon himself to run extra sprints at practice. And, oh yeah, keep his big ******* mouth shut. But he probably won't.
                          What happened between Rojas and IB?

Comment

• My friend that hosted out Super Bowl get together did put the game on while we were enjoying his golfing sim in the garage. It was mostly background noise. We did eventually go inside and had to watch the 2nd OT on a tablet while the Super Bowl was on the big TV.

We didn't deserve to win. We were lucky SMU sucks so much. But I always enjoy a win on some level, even though there's little to truly enjoy about the program right now and I still greatly look forward to change.

I knew attendance would be poor. I'm not sure if it was worse than I expected or if I didn't fully appreciate what it would look like on TV. By the end of the game it was even worse as I believe a number of people left early so they could get where they needed to be for the Super Bowl. I can't really blame them for leaving. One game yesterday meant a ton and the other was just a game in the process of getting to the end of the season.

This team has maybe one win left.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• We only have four good players and lost one early for some reason. Somehow we managed to win running on 3 cylinders yesterday as those three scored 70 points. Win one maybe two the rest of the way. If we don't keep JW and KP next season will be more like Louisville's this year.

Comment

• These kids have talent and play hard so what is the missing piece hmmm lets see?????
                                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                                X