No announcement yet.

2023 AfterShocks and TBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also something I just noticed. Single Session tickets have a BOGO offer .. all session does not .. So it costs half as much to buy them individually .. that's dumb

Comment

TBT - Wichita was expanded to 16 teams and promoted to a Super Regional. KU's alumni team has been assigned to Wichita.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

And there is going to be a "super regional" with 16 teams coming to Wichita. The AfterShocks will obviously headline one of the 8-team brackets. The Beakers will headline other bracket. Morris twins will coach and Keith Langford and Tyshawn (left his mark on AFH court) Taylor will be playing.
        78-65

Comment

Just got the TBT email. The BOGO offer is only until the 7th and only on single session tickets. Individual tickets add up to the same price as all session, so if you are going in pairs, it pays to just add all 7 sessions to your cart individually and get half off. Appears to be 15 games overall
          Last edited by Stickboy46; May 1, 2023, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Isn’t tyshawn Taylor the one who got caught nursing?
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
              Isn’t tyshawn Taylor the one who got caught nursing?
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

One of the big reasons TBT is so big in Wichita is certainly the collegiate success of the players and teams represented by the Aftershocks. Another one is the fact that this city loves the Shockers and has always supported them well. But I think as we move into the Paul Mills era, maybe the most significant reason for it is the fact that the team is one of the last tangible remnants of the Marshall-era Shockers.

I've been thinking back on this as we've moved to Isaac Brown and now Paul Mills. Mills could have success here, and we obviously all hope he does. If he can win a few conference titles, make a couple NCAA tournament runs, and field consistently competitive teams, maybe I won't feel this way. But I can't help but shake the belief that there's something about the Marshall-era Shockers that brought an electricity to this university's basketball fanbase that will never be replicated. Mainly because we had never seen this level of sustained success before (Marshall nearly doubled our NCAAT appearance count)

Think about it. If we were to make another Final Four or make a deep tourney run, it would still be very special. But it wouldn't feel the way that the 2013 Final Four felt. Or the 13-14 undefeated regular season. Or beating KU in Omaha. It was a different time in what feels like a completely different college basketball landscape.

I know that those times have passed and there's nothing anyone can do about it now, but I feel a sense of lament over things like not winning the Louisville game in 2013 or the Kentucky game in 2014, Fred's injury in 15-16 that led to our terrible seed, the UK game in 17, and the way the 17-18 season went (and ended). Then, once Marshall exited, it felt like a punch in the gut to know that the guy who so perfectly encapsulates this city and university would never get another shot to win here.

Anyways, not to take this thread to a melancholy place, but I've thought about this a lot lately. I hope the support for the Aftershocks continues to warrant hosting year in and year out. With that said, the WSU portion of the potential roster could get thin here in a couple of years.
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                    One of the big reasons TBT is so big in Wichita is certainly the collegiate success of the players and teams represented by the Aftershocks. Another one is the fact that this city loves the Shockers and has always supported them well. But I think as we move into the Paul Mills era, maybe the most significant reason for it is the fact that the team is one of the last tangible remnants of the Marshall-era Shockers.

I've been thinking back on this as we've moved to Isaac Brown and now Paul Mills. Mills could have success here, and we obviously all hope he does. If he can win a few conference titles, make a couple NCAA tournament runs, and field consistently competitive teams, maybe I won't feel this way. But I can't help but shake the belief that there's something about the Marshall-era Shockers that brought an electricity to this university's basketball fanbase that will never be replicated. Mainly because we had never seen this level of sustained success before (Marshall nearly doubled our NCAAT appearance count)

Think about it. If we were to make another Final Four or make a deep tourney run, it would still be very special. But it wouldn't feel the way that the 2013 Final Four felt. Or the 13-14 undefeated regular season. Or beating KU in Omaha. It was a different time in what feels like a completely different college basketball landscape.

I know that those times have passed and there's nothing anyone can do about it now, but I feel a sense of lament over things like not winning the Louisville game in 2013 or the Kentucky game in 2014, Fred's injury in 15-16 that led to our terrible seed, the UK game in 17, and the way the 17-18 season went (and ended). Then, once Marshall exited, it felt like a punch in the gut to know that the guy who so perfectly encapsulates this city and university would never get another shot to win here.

Anyways, not to take this thread to a melancholy place, but I've thought about this a lot lately. I hope the support for the Aftershocks continues to warrant hosting year in and year out. With that said, the WSU portion of the potential roster could get thin here in a couple of years.
                    100 percent agree. I hope Mills can bring back sustained success but I'm not sure if we'll ever replicate the early-mid 2010s. College landscape is completely different now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

It was a Golden Era indeed.

I still miss Marshall. But I started missing him the first season we entered the AAC...

We should all miss Ron and Fred just as much as 3G.

The AAC's loss of Cincy and backfilling with a bunch of no-name's hurts still.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

I still miss Marshall. But I started missing him the first season we entered the AAC...

Comment

Some of those no-names have a better on court product than Cincy does. They may lack name recognition, but they will get some of that as they increase their status and continue to play at a high level.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I miss Raquel Welch too!

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Some of those no-names have a better on court product than Cincy does. They may lack name recognition, but they will get some of that as they increase their status and continue to play at a high level.
                              Yea, we are bringing in 3 teams that had better years last year than Cincy.
                              Last edited by Stickboy46; May 17, 2023, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yea, we are brining in 3 teams that had better years last year than Cincy.
                                He's yankin' chains...

Comment

Working...
                                X