Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-Game Thread: vs. Grand Canyon (11/21/22)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 assists.

IB continues to let chuckers chuck em up JUCO style. He has no resemblance of an offense at all.

3-1 is fool’s gold. No way this defense can hold up a bottom 300 offense.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• As long as Porter goes...this offense has a "chance" to be better than sub-300 as the season goes and these guys get used to each other. Better athletes this year...feels like just need some game time to blend.

Keep bringing the D...and let's see what happens to the offensive progression in December-January.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Fever calls 3-1 fools gold which I am inclined to agree. If I remove my memory of last year's coaching, I see some hope. But I can't remove that memory and while seeing some areas of improvement, ( ball movement, player motion and defense) I see poor rebounding against smaller less athletic teams, poor shot selection and absence of an interior game from our bigs. Those things do not equate to success.

Only one thing can fix those issues....coaching! So show us what you got HCIB.

Comment

• We’re not ready to play Memphis or Houston but I see improvement each game. The kids are starting to understand their roles, for the most part, and are passing up some of the bad shots they were taking the first 2 games. Still more to learn, but at least they seem to be learning.

Comment

• Wrong thread
            Last edited by WuShock Reaper; November 22, 2022, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• Didn't get to watch a ton of the game.

Winning feels a lot better than a loss, again. Xavier Bell showed some nice things...I'll be interested to see how we get him involved going forward.

That said, our best win so far is against a #89 KenPom team on the road without one of their best players in the lineup. So we're not world beaters, and our schedule is about to get a lot tougher. Most likely case is that we end up with 4-5 losses coming into conference play. And it will be tough when we have IPBC playing a lot of minutes against Houston and Memphis. The caliber of athletes and players on those teams is at another level compared to what we've played so far.

We get after it defensively pretty well, which, ironically, is a relative strength of IB teams so far. Our offense, however, is anemic.

This team seems to have better chemistry than last year's team, and they play hard, as many have noticed.

We seem destined to not make the NIT unless we reel off some impressive wins against Big 12/SEC foes and carry that improvement over to conference play.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• I am not a buyer yet and not likely to be any time soon. CP is still the only guy I feel good about although Walton continues to grow on me. We don't have any guys who can score down low with their backs to the basket and our perimeter shooting can't get much worse ( shooting guards are a combined 3-25 ). If we are going to win today our shooters including KP simply have to knock down some shots. With no low post game we can only score from deep or attacking the rim. Too much individual play with others standing around. I'll say SF today 62-57.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  5 assists.

IB continues to let chuckers chuck em up JUCO style. He has no resemblance of an offense at all.

3-1 is fool’s gold. No way this defense can hold up a bottom 100 offense.
                  FIFY. I know what you were trying to say, but a Bottom 300 offense covers everyone ranked 51-350. Just looking out for you, my friend.

78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

FIFY. I know what you were trying to say, but a Bottom 300 offense covers everyone ranked 51-350. Just looking out for you, my friend.
                    Haha, right now we’re at 186 in Torvik for offense and 140 in KenPom. So technically it’s bottom 200?

Not that it matters. We’re terrible on offense either way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Haha, right now we’re at 186 in Torvik for offense and 140 in KenPom. So technically it’s bottom 200?

Yea .. i was just looking this up .. we range from like 110-180 in offensive efficiency .. we have looked awful but we are still "above average" for the NCAA .. which just goes to show you how bad the average NCAA team is this year lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yea .. i was just looking this up .. we range from like 110-180 in offensive efficiency .. we have looked awful but we are still "above average" for the NCAA .. which just goes to show you how bad the average NCAA team is this year lol
                        Yes. "Top 150" is the actual accurate ranking.

And that also shocked me, because we've looked terrible on offense most of the time.

Comment

• I was at the game and was impressed by the support that Grand Canyon had there. The full (large) pep band, mascot, cheerleaders, dance team, and a enthusiastic section of students. They must have a bigger sports budget.

The other three schools had to borrow local high school pep bands.

Comment

• Nothing to do with the game but we were eating at Garazzos and Roy Williams got seated at the table next to ours. Wearing Carolina blow of course. Apparently was inducted into the Hall of Fame here in a ceremony

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker View Post
                              I was at the game and was impressed by the support that Grand Canyon had there. The full (large) pep band, mascot, cheerleaders, dance team, and a enthusiastic section of students. They must have a bigger sports budget.

The other three schools had to borrow local high school pep bands.
                              From what I understand, they also have a pretty sizable student base from here in the KC area as well. I attend a church with at least a few GCU students.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

I cannot imagine 150 worse offenses out there.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X