No announcement yet.

Fire the coaching staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn't spend a dime on WSU if Mark Turgeon was to be our head coach.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      I wouldn't spend a dime on WSU if Mark Turgeon was to be our head coach.
      Is there really anybody spending a dime on WSU?

Comment

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post

I would kill my brother-in-law for Mark Turgeon to be our head coach.
        Yikes, everyone cancel your family Thanksgiving and Christmas untill WSguy is identified.

Comment

• Are they fired yet? No? Fine, I’ll check back in April.

Comment

I wouldn't spend a dime on WSU if Mark Turgeon was to be our head coach.
            Why?

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

Why?
              I was ready for him to leave when he did. He came here hungry, but also limited what he thought he could do. I don't see him being hungry these days or having that fire that is needed to drive the program back up.

I thank him for his services, even though he left us with a bare cupboard, as he did help right the ship. We need more than that right now and we need someone who can bring the excitement back to Shocker basketball. He is not that guy. Hiring Turgeon would be trying to do just enough and doesn't show anything more than trying to stay out of the basement of the AAC. Turgeon isn't going to excite the fan base. It would be a lazy hire with limited upside. Wichita needs to bring in someone who can ignite the passion of Shocker Nation and take us back to where we belong.

I'm not spending money on WSU if WSU is only going to do the bare minimum. Hiring Turgeon would be a Boatright type of move. I don't care if Mark feels he made mistakes and took for granted what he had here. He was never meant to be our long-term solution and we were able to make a huge upgrade when he left. We need a coach for the future, not one to just keep us floating.

Maybe he's moved on from his at this level bullshit, but I'm not sure I ever will. I'm also not sure why anyone would be so welcoming of someone who thought so little of WSU while he was here to put a ceiling on things. I'm not sure he will ever truly believe that WSU can be more than what it was when he was here, even though Marshall proved that it could be.

Basically, I have no faith in him and as I said, I expect better from AD Saal than Turgeon. Especially since there are still a number of people who absolutely would not support him here. I know I'm not alone and I'm pretty certain there are people who are much more passionate with their dislike than me. I've seen it elsewhere.

To sum up, we deserve better.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Boyle leaving and Spinelli coming in was a big changed in atmosphere for the program. The relationships with the players took a whole new direction and not for the better. Spinella is known for his recruiting, but the existing players were not "his" players. Nevertheless, Spinella was Turgeon's pick and his responsibility.

Comment

• Yeah I kinda thought we were just talking about MT as an emergency stop gap. Not a permanent solution.

Comment

I was ready for him to leave when he did. He came here hungry, but also limited what he thought he could do. I don't see him being hungry these days or having that fire that is needed to drive the program back up.

I thank him for his services, even though he left us with a bare cupboard, as he did help right the ship. We need more than that right now and we need someone who can bring the excitement back to Shocker basketball. He is not that guy. Hiring Turgeon would be trying to do just enough and doesn't show anything more than trying to stay out of the basement of the AAC. Turgeon isn't going to excite the fan base. It would be a lazy hire with limited upside. Wichita needs to bring in someone who can ignite the passion of Shocker Nation and take us back to where we belong.

I'm not spending money on WSU if WSU is only going to do the bare minimum. Hiring Turgeon would be a Boatright type of move. I don't care if Mark feels he made mistakes and took for granted what he had here. He was never meant to be our long-term solution and we were able to make a huge upgrade when he left. We need a coach for the future, not one to just keep us floating.

Maybe he's moved on from his at this level bullshit, but I'm not sure I ever will. I'm also not sure why anyone would be so welcoming of someone who thought so little of WSU while he was here to put a ceiling on things. I'm not sure he will ever truly believe that WSU can be more than what it was when he was here, even though Marshall proved that it could be.

Basically, I have no faith in him and as I said, I expect better from AD Saal than Turgeon. Especially since there are still a number of people who absolutely would not support him here. I know I'm not alone and I'm pretty certain there are people who are much more passionate with their dislike than me. I've seen it elsewhere.

To sum up, we deserve better.
                    If we have to wait until the end of next season to make a big move at HC, who would you rather wait through that with? IB or MT. Personally, I don’t think MT has any problem jumping down a dudes throat and these guys need that.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I think some posters are holding MT to a different standard than other "older" coaches like Thad Motta and John Beilein. If I recall there was at least some enthusiasm for those names.

If MT interviews and is the AD believes he is up to the task of getting WSU back to the tournament, I am all for it. He is 57 and possibly has a lot of basketball coaching left, if he chooses.

While he said things like "at this level", he also said WSU was a major program in a mid-major league.

He took Texas A&M to four tournaments in four years. He took Maryland to the tournament 5 of the last 6 years and won the Big 10 in the covid year.

If he had never coached at WSU, but was interested, I don't think there is any doubt that many, many fans would welcome him with open arms.

But he does know Wichita, and WSU and knows what it can become. I just don't see too many negatives, and many, many positives. He would not be a "stop-gap."

Comment

• No MT.

Comment

• As someone that follows the Shockers from afar, I'm finally going to weigh in just a bit. Isaac Brown actually might not be doing that bad of a job. While he probably overachieved his first year, he fell way short last year. It looks, at least to me that he is settling in to becoming a pretty good coach. The Shockers are 4-2, the Richmond win is pretty good.

The Shockers may be a long way from Marshall or Turgeon expectations, but having watched several AAC games, the Shockers have the potential to realistically finish second behind Houston. This year is the year that you see what he can do; he's got his guys its his system and its his program to run. Last year, he was dealing with a bunch of Marshall's recruits. This is the year that will define him.

I understand the frustration, but look up north at Nebraska football and see what happens when coaching carousels begin. They often don't end well. I know everyone wants instant success, but that happens much less often than one would think.
                          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                            As someone that follows the Shockers from afar, I'm finally going to weigh in just a bit. Isaac Brown actually might not be doing that bad of a job. While he probably overachieved his first year, he fell way short last year. It looks, at least to me that he is settling in to becoming a pretty good coach. The Shockers are 4-2, the Richmond win is pretty good.

The Shockers may be a long way from Marshall or Turgeon expectations, but having watched several AAC games, the Shockers have the potential to realistically finish second behind Houston. This year is the year that you see what he can do; he's got his guys its his system and its his program to run. Last year, he was dealing with a bunch of Marshall's recruits. This is the year that will define him.

I understand the frustration, but look up north at Nebraska football and see what happens when coaching carousels begin. They often don't end well. I know everyone wants instant success, but that happens much less often than one would think.
                            You make some good points here. The results on paper aren’t bad. My biggest gripe has been the style of play. Our offense is hero ball and I don’t believe that will ever take us anywhere close to where we all want to go. That could change, but history tells us it won’t.

Comment

• To be successful you have to be better than your opponent in either talent, effort or execution or some combination thereof. As a fan, I can live with just winning the effort battle. As someone who loves the game and enjoys seeing the nuances of gameplay, it's difficult to see this bunch winning more than they lose. I would love to be wrong but I just don't think the talent is good enough to overcome the plan.

Comment

• No way this team can finish 2nd in the AAC. I hope I am wrong, but just don't see the consistency or development to do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X