No announcement yet.

Society Needs to get a Grip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come on, everyone knows he meant Florida College. Or was it Air Force?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

just make sure you have the clear pants on
      I am disappointed to report that my wife just laughed and said she should turn me in for having an unregistered SBR.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Didn’t the Falcons do something similar?
        Is Friends that in need?
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

ATLANTA FALCONS YOU LOT OF DEGENERATES
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

ATLANTA FALCONS YOU LOT OF DEGENERATES
            I DON'T WATCH HOCKEY!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I DON'T WATCH HOCKEY!
              YOU SHOULD. THE CLEVELAND INDIANS ARE GREAT.

Comment

YOU SHOULD. THE CLEVELAND INDIANS ARE GREAT.
                That's racist.

Comment

What are the pros and cons?
                  Increase in concessions
                  While this may have started as anti-terrorism initiative, I guarantee this is the primary reason arenas adopt and keep this over patron complaints. The only thing most stadiums can do to earn more money is to renovate and add more seats, or sell more concessions. Concessions are way easier, and way highe rmargin. An MLB team is likely to see up to $90M-$100M in concessions each year over 81 games. I'd estimate a consistently selling out WSU would get $4M a year from men's basketball alone (though it would only take away a portion of that, maybe $1M). When numbers reach the 7, 8, or 9 digit mark you aren't going to see many businesses voluntarily cutting their profits.

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                    While this may have started as anti-terrorism initiative, I guarantee this is the primary reason arenas adopt and keep this over patron complaints. The only thing most stadiums can do to earn more money is to renovate and add more seats, or sell more concessions. Concessions are way easier, and way highe rmargin. An MLB team is likely to see up to $90M-$100M in concessions each year over 81 games. I'd estimate a consistently selling out WSU would get $4M a year from men's basketball alone (though it would only take away a portion of that, maybe $1M). When numbers reach the 7, 8, or 9 digit mark you aren't going to see many businesses voluntarily cutting their profits.
                    Probably so, but if a place gets too cheeky they will see ticket and concession sales decline dramatically.

Which is betta: 10,000 fans x $1.50 soda pop or 1,000 fans x $10 soda pop?

Comment

Probably so, but if a place gets too cheeky they will see ticket and concession sales decline dramatically.

Which is betta: 10,000 fans x $1.50 soda pop or 1,000 fans x $10 soda pop?
                      I’ve advocated that math for many years and generally everybody comes out happy with it. But alas, the greedy dopes don’t get it. It’s exactly what’s gonna doom the Wind Surge too.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I’ve advocated that math for many years and generally everybody comes out happy with it. But alas, the greedy dopes don’t get it. It’s exactly what’s gonna doom the Wind Surge too.
                        Even if it was break even it's obvious which is better. Instead of an extreme example lets say it's:

4,000 fans x $2 soda vs 2,000 fans x $4 soda

Even though the margins on soda look eye-popping on the $4 soda, and their costs were lower, they are missing the fact that they made 2,000 more fans happy and comfortable. That's 2,000 fans walking away with a more satisfied experience. A decent chunk of those 2,000 additional sales are people buying a now-affordable soda for their 10, 8 and 6-year old kids, building young memories and a future recurring revenue Shocker fan base.

I just think our athletic department has fallen into the common trap of maximizing short term profits, instead of playing the long game.
                        Last edited by Kung Wu; August 3, 2022, 04:32 PM.

Comment

The athletic department has also lacked any reasonable leadership for quite some time.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

or they could run alternating specials every game. One game could be $2 sodas, the next game $2 popcorn. Get people to the concession stand and they will spend money.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              The athletic department has also lacked any reasonable leadership for quite some time.
                              The athletic department has many issues, some of which are their fault and more that are the changing times. It's tough to balance being "big time" with being responsible and reasonable. In my mind, that's something they've struggled with for a very long time, mostly unsuccessfully.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

The athletic department has many issues, some of which are their fault and more that are the changing times. It's tough to balance being "big time" with being responsible and reasonable. In my mind, that's something they've struggled with for a very long time, mostly unsuccessfully.
                                You hit on the work ethic in another thread...that's a big issue.

I believe KS is focused on getting the department on the right track overall. It will take time...but there were/are many people within the athletic program who were/are not remotely earning their keep. And are probably still sucking on the teet.

There is no room for waste at this point. The athletic department is hemorrhaging funds as it is; we cannot afford to have employees who don't pull their weight and make things worse.

We can't afford to have Devon Smiths within the athletic department anymore (yes, I went there...he was notorious for his laziness).
                                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                                X