Society Needs to get a Grip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I'm not interested, nor was my intent, to offend or get into a fight. My comment may not have been separated properly and for that I apologize. I was not disparaging the gay community. But the fact is that there is a portion of our society that is basically singularly focused on having as much sex as possible with as many different people as possible often times in group like settings, and this primarily occurs within the gay (male) community, especially in larger cities where there is a larger gay community. If you are heterosexual and engage in the same type of reckless behavior (multiple sex partners with people you do not know in a shared environment) then you also are putting yourself in increasingly dangerous situations. The difference is that there aren't those kind of situations available in the same numbers as there are in same sex (mostly male) circles. My comment doesn't disparage the entire gay community anymore than a few redneck asshole klan members somehow disparage all white folks. While my details may have left something to be desired in the details and presentation, my point is valid. Common sense is overlooked and we focus on the nonsensical (for instance, being offended by words in a forum).
    I am not trying to get into a fight either. I wasn't talking about your comments about CNN, MP, or whatever, just the statement I quoted where you said gay and bisexual men are essentially people who exist with the one goal of ****ing anything they can get their dick into which is usually another man's ass. The way it was written, it reads that you were talking about all gay and bisexual men (which to me, is an ignorant thing to say), but if you meant to say that there is a small subset of people who have a lot of sex (which I agree, does carry risks) then that changes the context significantly. That's why I asked what you meant. I hope that makes sense and clears things up.

Anyway, I am not upset about this and hope you aren't either. I wish you a great day and week ahead Doc.

Comment

Clear bag policy is in the same category as taking our shoes off at the airport. It’s an overreaction to as singular incident. If we really wanted to deter terrorists, we would have full strip searches everywhere we go but that’s not happening. If someone really wanted to commit a major crime, they just don’t carry their weapon in a bag,

Comment

Much like the TSA, it's more about security theater than actual security.

Not like sporting venues were having an epidemic of violence and bombings or whatever. Old policies really were pretty sufficient and those could have been tweaked, but they've gone way overboard, much like TSA, with requirements that do nothing for safety and are more of an irritant than anything.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

When I get home from work tonight, I’m going to put my AR15 in my pants and see if my wife notices anything different.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
              When I get home from work tonight, I’m going to put my AR15 in my pants and see if my wife notices anything different.
              just make sure you have the clear pants on

Comment

Take ANY year prior to the 9/11 attack in 2001. Count up all the fans that entered every single pro basketball game, pro football game, pro baseball game, NCAA D1 basketball game, NCAA D1 football game, and NCAA D1 baseball game in that year.

Now divide the total number of people shot by a gun while INSIDE the arena/stadium that year by the number from above.

Hint: Don't get mad at your calculator if it can't divide by zero -- that's not it's fault.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

If I remember right, security/metal detectors have to do with a gun law passed a few years ago. Something to the effect of WSU can’t ban guns from Koch Arena if they don’t have those or something similar.

Clear bags are just so administrations can be sure they maximize your concession dollars as far as I’m concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                    If I remember right, security/metal detectors have to do with a gun law passed a few years ago. Something to the effect of WSU can’t ban guns from Koch Arena if they don’t have those or something similar.

Clear bags are just so administrations can be sure they maximize your concession dollars as far as I’m concerned.
                    The metal detectors are required if they want CKA to be gun free. The State decided that public spaces such as this have to have ample security measures in place in order to restrict individuals from carrying to protect themselves. That's a rule I actually support in this regard. This is why students can carry to any classroom on campus if they choose to, as WSU isn't going to invest in the tech or manpower to make every building on campus gun free.

But you're pretty much right about the bags. It really doesn't do much of anything for safety.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Our policies only keep the good guys from having guns in the arena. The arena is open all day, with little to no security. If a bad guy wanted to hide them for later retrieval, easily accomplished.
                      Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

This probably belongs in a different topic but one of the things ADKS has mentioned several times is fan engagement and experience. One of the things I would guess most of us have missed for quite a while is fan appreciation and giving the fans what they want. Look, I'm a free market guy and I completely understand who butters the bread for athletics. If we can fill CKA to the rafters with $40 tickets after a $2K-$150K SASO donation to obtain the right to buy the $40 tickets, so be it. But that's not where we are today. While I really don't care about $6 pop and $10 beers, I know some do. And I'm not advocating free concessions. I'm just hoping they will allow a few options to bring in new people (which every program needs).

Something like the seats behind the band on game day for $5. Perhaps mini Shocker water bottles (6oz or so) for $2 with half going to SASO. Mini popcorn for $2 (or even bring a pre purchased Shocker paper bag like lunch bag size to get filled for $2). Doesn't (and shouldn't be) need to be everything, but just a few options so that a young person, couple or family can attend without spending an entire day's wages (or more) for tickets and a snack. Plus the added benefit of, hopefully, bringing in some new blood.

And if that's NOT what the fans want, and I'm wrong, I hope they will listen to the fans and give them what they want.

Comment

This probably belongs in a different topic but one of the things ADKS has mentioned several times is fan engagement and experience. One of the things I would guess most of us have missed for quite a while is fan appreciation and giving the fans what they want. Look, I'm a free market guy and I completely understand who butters the bread for athletics. If we can fill CKA to the rafters with $40 tickets after a $2K-$150K SASO donation to obtain the right to buy the $40 tickets, so be it. But that's not where we are today. While I really don't care about $6 pop and $10 beers, I know some do. And I'm not advocating free concessions. I'm just hoping they will allow a few options to bring in new people (which every program needs).

Something like the seats behind the band on game day for $5. Perhaps mini Shocker water bottles (6oz or so) for $2 with half going to SASO. Mini popcorn for $2 (or even bring a pre purchased Shocker paper bag like lunch bag size to get filled for $2). Doesn't (and shouldn't be) need to be everything, but just a few options so that a young person, couple or family can attend without spending an entire day's wages (or more) for tickets and a snack. Plus the added benefit of, hopefully, bringing in some new blood.

And if that's NOT what the fans want, and I'm wrong, I hope they will listen to the fans and give them what they want.
                          Ok, this post definitely needs moved to the Politics forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post

Ok, this post definitely needs moved to the Politics forum!

Comment

Didn’t the Falcons do something similar?
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I didn’t even know Heights had home games.

Comment

Working...
                                X