Society Needs to get a Grip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

You hit on the work ethic in another thread...that's a big issue.

I believe KS is focused on getting the department on the right track overall. It will take time...but there were/are many people within the athletic program who were/are not remotely earning their keep. And are probably still sucking on the teet.

There is no room for waste at this point. The athletic department is hemorrhaging funds as it is; we cannot afford to have employees who don't pull their weight and make things worse.

We can't afford to have Devon Smiths within the athletic department anymore (yes, I went there...he was notorious for his laziness).
    So perfect. And again, I'm not advocating a purge of staff, but expectations must be laid out and there must be accountability. And that "big time" balance I touched on ....... you can't look at Alabama and say "I'm going to be like that" and then only be like that in spending. You have to have "doers" and the smaller you are, the greater the percentage of "doers" you must employ. It is beyond disappointing how many things just one lowly person (me) can point to, just in the last few years, that required going through so many hoops to finally get to someone that would "do".

I am praying that ADKS will bring that to the forefront.

Comment

We can't afford to have Devon Smiths within the athletic department anymore (yes, I went there...he was notorious for his laziness).
      Truer words are rarely spoken. Why 3G kept him around so long, I have no clue.

78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Truer words are rarely spoken. Why 3G kept him around so long, I have no clue.
        I thought he was hired to be the team babysitter? He crafted his trade at Louisville under Patino. Probably developed the 'Babysitting Blues'...

Sorry, I'm in one of those moods (underrated movie and scene)...

"Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues".

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

The athletic department has many issues, some of which are their fault and more that are the changing times. It's tough to balance being "big time" with being responsible and reasonable. In my mind, that's something they've struggled with for a very long time, mostly unsuccessfully.
          Are you saying that our eyes are bigger than our stomachs at times? Will the fans accept an athletic program this is responsible and reasonable if it does not meet their desires to be "big time"?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Are you saying that our eyes are bigger than our stomachs at times? Will the fans accept an athletic program this is responsible and reasonable if it does not meet their desires to be "big time"?
            I think he is saying that wsu doesn’t have the budget that other high caliber programs do so they have to be smarter with their resources in order to keep the program at the level we are now accustomed to it being at.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Surprised to read this about Devon. He was one of the nicest people in my limited interactions with him. I recall he went out of his way to extend gratitude to us fans that were waiting in the cold outside the arena one time. Seems there was another time after a big win some of us greeted the players as they were exiting the bus back to Koch and Devon made sure to encourage us to interact with the players and make us feel welcome.

I know it's been said plenty of times that nice guys aren't typically high performers, but it sure seemed Devon was a pretty good ambassador for our program. I made sure to grab his signature for a Final 4 poster. I've been reading the board for a dozen years or so and don't recall seeing anything about his professional life in anything other than a positive light.
              Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post

Surprised to read this about Devon. He was one of the nicest people in my limited interactions with him. I recall he went out of his way to extend gratitude to us fans that were waiting in the cold outside the arena one time. Seems there was another time after a big win some of us greeted the players as they were exiting the bus back to Koch and Devon made sure to encourage us to interact with the players and make us feel welcome.

I know it's been said plenty of times that nice guys aren't typically high performers, but it sure seemed Devon was a pretty good ambassador for our program. I made sure to grab his signature for a Final 4 poster. I've been reading the board for a dozen years or so and don't recall seeing anything about his professional life in anything other than a positive light.
                It just wasn't written, LOL.

Comment

Working...
                X