Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Carousel Spins Up again (USC and UCLA to Big 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
      I'm not sure the PAC has a leg to stand on here. They knew what their plan was. The MWC knew what their plan was. Legal on both sides knew what the plan was. I'm pretty sure my dogs knew what the plan was.

This wasn't some hidden clause in the contract that was overlooked or misunderstood. Sounds like the PAC knew they'd challenge it as soon as they started poaching, which is pretty shitty of them.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

It's about money bro; the P12 conference has a lot of it. Have you been paying attention? You sound jealous.

The conference brand means something. Why do you think all the podunk catholic schools shelled out 9 figures to keep the Big East name? I mean yeah... it was silly and slightly embarrassing for a non-power basketball conference to adorn themselves with a brand whose substance is nothing like what the name formally represented... but... it was better than creating a new name all things considered.
        The brand does mean a little something, despite it being built on the backs of schools no longer involved.

With that said, the projections I've been seeing for their media deal is $12M per school. I'm not sure if that's guaranteed no matter how many schools or based on eight. They also have money from the ten that left to pay the MWC exit fees for the schools joining, so it makes sense for the MWC schools who will make more money and travel will be similar to what they were already doing.

I found it funny that they weren't willing to pay much of anything for the AAC schools. Those schools would get maybe a couple million more per year, but would have to shell out over $25M to do so and up their travel budget. So their brand and leadership is still limited.

The American will no longer be challenged by the MWC in the conference pecking orders and will instead be challenged by the new PAC. Everyone loves to **** on the AAC, but it and the PAC will be on a similar level in the major sports rather you like it or not. We'll see where things continue to go, but the PAC will be a solid conference, but far from a power conference.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          These "commitments" mean absolutely nothing. Everything is fluid.
          Isn't THAT the truth.....

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            These "commitments" mean absolutely nothing. Everything is fluid.
            Yup. See today's news on UNLV QB who quit playing due to NIL issues.
            Last edited by BostonWu; 3 days ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

If this NIL thing is the way it's going to be, it needs to be under the umbrella of the athletic department. IMHO, it honestly also needs to be done fully contractually just like a pro sports team, since that is really what it is now. Maybe there should also be clauses in such contracts with penalties if the player wants to bail early, and also if the athletic department wants to "buy out' the contract. Might as well run it like pro contracts operate. Let's be honest, in football and men's basketball definitely, the education aspect isn't that important to most players.
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

If this NIL thing is the way it's going to be, it needs to be under the umbrella of the athletic department. IMHO, it honestly also needs to be done fully contractually just like a pro sports team, since that is really what it is now. Maybe there should also be clauses in such contracts with penalties if the player wants to bail early, and also if the athletic department wants to "buy out' the contract. Might as well run it like pro contracts operate. Let's be honest, in football and men's basketball definitely, the education aspect isn't that important to most players.
                You speak wisdom, and that's the way it will be heading (contracts, etc.). However, the University executives (both athletic and academic) are not willing to lift the curtain on the charade yet. Large Universities, and to a lesser extent, medium sized universities, are effectively minor league professional businesses. Some wealthy high schools/prep teams aren't far behind with various means of professional funding that follow the top athletes of all sports. It's laughable to call them amateur athletes.

I prefer pro sports that don't hide behind a false curtain, and contractually pay their employees to work/play the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

If I'm a UNLV fan, I grab a gaggle of boosters, show up at his front door and run his worthless ass out of town.

Comment

If I'm a UNLV fan, I grab a gaggle of boosters, show up at his front door and run his worthless ass out of town.
                    Why would a gaggle of boosters that lied to him about paying him show up at his front door? I think they should be knocking down their lawyer's door to make sure they don't get sued instead. He was promised $100k, and so far only received $3,000 for moving expenses.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Honestly, I don't care who is at fault in this story. I root for these stories with the hope it all gets exposed and blown up.

Comment

• Tons of chatter on Twitter about WSU and the PAC, FWIW.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Why would a gaggle of boosters that lied to him about paying him show up at his front door? I think they should be knocking down their lawyer's door to make sure they don't get sued instead. He was promised $100k, and so far only received $3,000 for moving expenses.
                          You're taking the child's side of the story of course. (a story I of course haven't read)

Run him out of town - crying to his bulldozing/helicoptoring mommy - all the way to the state line.

I don't know what annoys me more; the adult children or the child-worshipping "parents" (breeders).

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                            Tons of chatter on Twitter about WSU and the PAC, FWIW.
                            You dirty devil you...

Comment

You're taking the child's side of the story of course. (a story I of course haven't read)

I don't know what annoys me more; the adult children or the child-worshipping "parents" (breeders).
                              No, I'm siding with the contract. I hate NIL, but if someone guarantees $X to a player they better pay it. And by contract, a text message saying "You'll get $100k if you come here" is a contract. If he doesn't have at least that then eff him.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• For what it's worth.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X