Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Carousel Spins Up again (USC and UCLA to Big 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shock View Post

I don’t see Cal and Stanford abandoning p5 football. There will be a western conference or western expansion when either the B1G sees success or failure.
    They deliver too few eyeballs. I think were talking about P4 at this point. Maybe 3. ACC on the clock.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

They deliver too few eyeballs. I think were talking about P4 at this point. Maybe 3. ACC on the clock.
      California produces the best talent outside of Texas. B1G has sewn up the top schools in California but the SEC will need to respond in kind, especially if it becomes a P3 setup. Cal and Stanford are good academic brands with athletic brands that fit anywhere. A long shot that I think actually fits in the SEC is SDSU.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• My head has been swimming since the announcement. I really don't understand the B1G's obsession with the Irish. It ain't gonna happen unless the ACC folds. The ACC has them locked up for another decade. I also think its hard for the Big 12 and Pac to do much until the B1G and SEC acts, as there are several schools that would take a spot, but only if the SEC and B1G don't take them. If you're Oregon or Washington, you do nothing as the B1G didn't say no. The B1G simply said they are working Notre Dame first, and deciding on others later. If you're the Ducks or Huskies, you wait.

What does Az do? I honestly think they are hoping SEC. I'm not betting a nickel on what happens next, but my guess would be that there have been many conversations between the SEC and select ACC schools.

Any way you slice it, as it is right now, both the B1G and SEC have taken almost all of the available media money off the table. Regardless of the makeup of the future non B1G and SEC schools, future media deals will not give them enough money to compete with the new P-2.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
          My head has been swimming since the announcement. I really don't understand the B1G's obsession with the Irish. It ain't gonna happen unless the ACC folds. The ACC has them locked up for another decade. I also think its hard for the Big 12 and Pac to do much until the B1G and SEC acts, as there are several schools that would take a spot, but only if the SEC and B1G don't take them. If you're Oregon or Washington, you do nothing as the B1G didn't say no. The B1G simply said they are working Notre Dame first, and deciding on others later. If you're the Ducks or Huskies, you wait.

What does Az do? I honestly think they are hoping SEC. I'm not betting a nickel on what happens next, but my guess would be that there have been many conversations between the SEC and select ACC schools.

Any way you slice it, as it is right now, both the B1G and SEC have taken almost all of the available media money off the table. Regardless of the makeup of the future non B1G and SEC schools, future media deals will not give them enough money to compete with the new P-2.
          Those conferences want to make Div. 1 Football (not sure about basketball) the Minor Leagues. I question the fact that schools like Rutgers (several others too) want to go that far, or know what they are getting into. Along with requiring money, the new student-athlete will become more and more just athlete.

I would imagine that going to school and academics will be a lesser and lesser mission for the athletes at these institutions.

Comment

My head has been swimming since the announcement. I really don't understand the B1G's obsession with the Irish. It ain't gonna happen unless the ACC folds. The ACC has them locked up for another decade. I also think its hard for the Big 12 and Pac to do much until the B1G and SEC acts, as there are several schools that would take a spot, but only if the SEC and B1G don't take them. If you're Oregon or Washington, you do nothing as the B1G didn't say no. The B1G simply said they are working Notre Dame first, and deciding on others later.
            It may not happen with ND, but if not, that is arrogant and foolish on the part of the Irish. It already is impossible to schedule a consistent and productive fb season. With the super-conferences it will become even more so. If ND is required to actually produce without some special considerations, they're screwed as it relates to national championship playoffs.

Comment

• The B1G is waiting on Notre Dame, and rightfully so. They're the biggest piece out there to be had and the direction this is going along with the money may force ND to finally accept a football home with the B1G. That would give the B1G 17, with USC and UCLA. They then invite Stanford, who has had some solid football and definitely has the academic pedigree to join to get to 18, plus ND will push for them as maybe a condition of joining. They then go to 20 with Oregon and Washington.

The XII is already having talks, according to reports, with at least Arizona and possibly including Arizona State, Utah and Colorado. If they land those, they get to 16 and quite possibly stop there. They could go after Cal if the B1G doesn't and then turn their sites to USF to double up in FL which is flush with recruits. I'm not sure who they'd go after for 18, but I think USF would make more sense for them than Oregon State or Washington State. They could consider Colorado State if Colorado wouldn't completely throw a fit. I know CSU has at least been in some discussions in the past.

At that point, the PAC is either disbanded, or the few left over invite the best of the MWC and due to media partnerships they get most of who they want. The AAC would at that point have an opportunity to at least attract Air Force and CSU, if they're still available. And if it was wanted, we could just take the other two front range schools in New Mexico and Wyoming which would put the conference at 18, if USF were still here. If USF were gone, we probably end up adding Georgia State or something like that since they're in the Atlanta market, or double up in FL with FIU.

The thing that this all depends on is either the B1G accepting Oregon/Washington or Arizona and company jumping ship and not waiting to see if the PAC can hold it together with a couple of MWC adds, or staying at 10. That's a risky move for any of them at this point knowing that there are conferences with better media deals looking to extend a lifeline to them. I don't think any of them are turning down a XII offer unless they believe they have one from the B1G waiting for them like Oregon and Washington appear to have.

As far as KU/KSU goes, the BOR is not going to hold KU back if they received and invite/acceptance from the B1G. We know there have been talks in the past between them. KU is not attached to KSU in any way, especially with so much chaos going on. They're not going to prevent the flagship from being in one of the best conferences just because KSU would get left behind because none of the remaining power conferences are going to want them. There would also be no financial concerns for KU as the B1G media deal is ridiculous and would more than cover any increased costs. I also have no doubt that if we were required to go through the BOR when we were talking to the AAC, they would have shut it down simply because they don't really care enough about Wichita State and wouldn't see all of the good the move has done from the academic side and getting us into markets we recruit students as well as being associated with similar schools that the Valley was never going to offer us.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

My head has been swimming since the announcement. I really don't understand the B1G's obsession with the Irish. It ain't gonna happen unless the ACC folds. The ACC has them locked up for another decade. I also think its hard for the Big 12 and Pac to do much until the B1G and SEC acts, as there are several schools that would take a spot, but only if the SEC and B1G don't take them. If you're Oregon or Washington, you do nothing as the B1G didn't say no. The B1G simply said they are working Notre Dame first, and deciding on others later. If you're the Ducks or Huskies, you wait.

Won't the SEC and B1G eventually just swallow up all major schools, divide them East and West and then break away from the NCAA as we know it?
                Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  The B1G is waiting on Notre Dame, and rightfully so. They're the biggest piece out there to be had and the direction this is going along with the money may force ND to finally accept a football home with the B1G. That would give the B1G 17, with USC and UCLA. They then invite Stanford, who has had some solid football and definitely has the academic pedigree to join to get to 18, plus ND will push for them as maybe a condition of joining. They then go to 20 with Oregon and Washington.

The XII is already having talks, according to reports, with at least Arizona and possibly including Arizona State, Utah and Colorado. If they land those, they get to 16 and quite possibly stop there. They could go after Cal if the B1G doesn't and then turn their sites to USF to double up in FL which is flush with recruits. I'm not sure who they'd go after for 18, but I think USF would make more sense for them than Oregon State or Washington State. They could consider Colorado State if Colorado wouldn't completely throw a fit. I know CSU has at least been in some discussions in the past.

At that point, the PAC is either disbanded, or the few left over invite the best of the MWC and due to media partnerships they get most of who they want. The AAC would at that point have an opportunity to at least attract Air Force and CSU, if they're still available. And if it was wanted, we could just take the other two front range schools in New Mexico and Wyoming which would put the conference at 18, if USF were still here. If USF were gone, we probably end up adding Georgia State or something like that since they're in the Atlanta market, or double up in FL with FIU.

The thing that this all depends on is either the B1G accepting Oregon/Washington or Arizona and company jumping ship and not waiting to see if the PAC can hold it together with a couple of MWC adds, or staying at 10. That's a risky move for any of them at this point knowing that there are conferences with better media deals looking to extend a lifeline to them. I don't think any of them are turning down a XII offer unless they believe they have one from the B1G waiting for them like Oregon and Washington appear to have.

As far as KU/KSU goes, the BOR is not going to hold KU back if they received and invite/acceptance from the B1G. We know there have been talks in the past between them. KU is not attached to KSU in any way, especially with so much chaos going on. They're not going to prevent the flagship from being in one of the best conferences just because KSU would get left behind because none of the remaining power conferences are going to want them. There would also be no financial concerns for KU as the B1G media deal is ridiculous and would more than cover any increased costs. I also have no doubt that if we were required to go through the BOR when we were talking to the AAC, they would have shut it down simply because they don't really care enough about Wichita State and wouldn't see all of the good the move has done from the academic side and getting us into markets we recruit students as well as being associated with similar schools that the Valley was never going to offer us.
                  The B1G is not going to invite KU. They would already have done it and KU has sought it out and been re-buffed previously. B1G is football focused and KU has absolutely zero to add in that regard.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

The B1G is not going to invite KU. They would already have done it and KU has sought it out and been re-buffed previously. B1G is football focused and KU has absolutely zero to add in that regard.
                    I'm well aware, just saying that if KU had that opportunity, the BOR wouldn't hold them back because of KSU. Hell, all of my KU friends know it's the case and they're pretty much screwed in all of this. There's a belief with some that KU can't go anywhere without KSU and I was just calling BS on that. Sure, the BOR would love to keep them together, but there are options that if presented KSU would be left to fend for themselves.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                        Gas guzzler conference

Comment

• CCC = Coastal Chaos Conference

Comment

• OnlyCoasts

Comment

• The sprint center could capitalize on that
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

I've pointed this out several times, KU is a no go in the B1G or SEC. They are a football drain in a sparsely populated state. They approached the B1G the week OU and UT left the Big 12 and were quickly told no.

Kansas had their opportunity to become a football school five years ago. There was a $350 million plan to rebuild the entire football program. Boosters rejected it, inly goving enough ($50 mil) to redo baseball and volleyball and add a little indoor practice facility. In reality, they need to do about $400 million or more on football inmprovements to simply be in the lower half of B1G football facilities.

If KU gets any invites, it will be a package deal and I don"t know whom they tie to. Kansas weight room looks a lot like Chadron States, no where near B1G standards.
                                1176CSC-Weight-Training-Facility_web.jpgWeight_Room1_09012011.jpg
                                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X