As to the announcement of Shaq Morris playing for the After Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

It will be interesting to see how new ADKS deals with the Marshall situation. Will he reach out to Gregg and try to at least partially heal that relationship, although not sure that's possible. Frankly, I am surprised that Gregg is still in Wichita. Thought he might head back to the South Carolina area at some point (which may yet happen).
    The termination agreement probably prevents a lot of official contact like this. Lots of clauses in there.

Also as a new AD .. i wouldn't touch that with a 1000 ft pole. Way more important things to worry about right now than a former coach that can't be hired or involved in the program anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

The termination agreement probably prevents a lot of official contact like this. Lots of clauses in there.

Also as a new AD .. i wouldn't touch that with a 1000 ft pole. Way more important things to worry about right now than a former coach that can't be hired or involved in the program anymore.
      I agree. Certainly more important things to do.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        Even before that, he was arguably the most frustrating Shocker over the last 20 years. His motivation was lacking a lot of the time, which is why he was left off of a road trip and even mentioned by a couple of his teammates. I'm pretty sure it was also discussed online by many fans as there were times you could absolutely see it.

I'm not saying his time here was all bad by any means, but he had a number of issues.

I'm also not sure I'd go as far as say his truth has been corroborated. Most comments that have been made public have basically been that they believe him, but didn't actually see a punch. Though even his story changed from time to time as to when/where the alleged punch took place. That has raised at least some doubt amongst many. I don't think anyone doubts that there was verbal abuse, which on some level I'm sure he deserved, and some physicality. How much physicality will always be the question that not everyone will agree on.

He could have been punched. He could have just been smacked upside the head. He may have been pushed. I've seen nobody come out and say they physically witnessed the alleged incident with their own two eyes. Seems like the only ones who do know for certain are Shaq and 3G and they obviously don't agree on what it was.

All of that is why he's such a divisive add and controversial person. If there were hard proof and a team of witnesses, it wouldn't be what it is today. 3G also wouldn't have received his buyout. But because of how things played out, it's pretty much always going to be this way, right or wrong.

Plenty of people witnessed what happened and they almost all chose not to comment publicly. That doesn't change what happened and the fact that in today's society it can't happen.

Comment

The whole thing kind of reminds me of that movie Varsity Blues. They had a good thing going, the coaches coaching tactics were outdated, the players weren’t the biggest fans of the coach as a result (They also weren’t as big of fans of him as we were all led to believe), the coach was eventually forced out and disgraced

Comment

I wasn't going to go, but will watch on TV. Perhaps I will take a knee when he is on the court

Comment

Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Plenty of people witnessed what happened and they almost all chose not to comment publicly. That doesn't change what happened and the fact that in today's society it can't happen.
              Why wouldn't they describe exactly what they clearly saw from beginning to end? Would you think any less of Fred, Ron, or any other player if they told the whole truth openly? Did any of them know if Boatright was made aware of what they knew at that time?

I think many saw exactly what Shaq did to his teammate. Then it gets fuzzy on who saw what and where? On the court? In the tunnel?

What more damage could they possibly do to Marshall, unless it was worse and WSU might have not had to pay him a nickel. Oh, and Boatright get fired for cause in trying to cover it up and us not paying him a nickel.

In the Eagle's interview before the NCAA tourney game in Shaq's senior year, he said he and Marshall were good and understood each other or that he was good and at least hoped Marshall was.

Words have meaning.

Everything was left fuzzy and here we still are. The ping-pong ball is still being hit from side to side.

Comment

There was enough other evidence without the Shaq incident to get GM in trouble. The run in with the track athlete in the parking lot., choking an assistant and the blow up in Canada was a public embarrassment in itself. That one couldn't be covered up by DB. If we would have had a strong AD during the GM years this could have been avoided. Probably suspended for a short time and anger management classes, if he chose not to do it then it would have been someone else's problem. But then we probably don't have a final four appearance. Was it worth it?

Comment

I was not happy with the lack of transparency surrounding the Marshall invesigation, report and resolution although I think we mostly know the probable reasons for that. What did strke me, and a far as I can tell has not really changed much, is the general lack of public support for Coach Marshall by his former players. Now it could be most just saw no upside for getting involved. Or maybe that support was greater than I remember it was. But generally it seemed pretty tepid from my perspective. I wonder if Shaq really thought that going public in the manner he did 5 years after the fact was going to play out the way it did. Was he the real catalyst or just a pawn used by *******, Golden and others who hated Marshall and wanted him cancelled. Not sure they really achieved their goal as Coach Marshall ended up with a pretty sweet settlement and a pretty cushy lifestyle. With the way college basketball is these days Coach Marshall may even be thankful that he is done with it (although I certainly don't know that's the case).

In any case, what's done is done. What will boycotting the AfterShocks and the TBT now accomplish? Anything positive? OTOH, I am not sure why Shaq thinks it is a good idea to be a part of the AfterShocks and what he hopes to accomplish with that. Will fans soften on him if he plays great and leads the AfterShocks to a TBT Championship?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    I was not happy with the lack of transparency surrounding the Marshall invesigation, report and resolution although I think we mostly know the probable reasons for that. What did strke me, and a far as I can tell has not really changed much, is the general lack of public support for Coach Marshall by his former players. Now it could be most just saw no upside for getting involved. Or maybe that support was greater than I remember it was. But generally it seemed pretty tepid from my perspective. I wonder if Shaq really thought that going public in the manner he did 5 years after the fact was going to play out the way it did. Was he the real catalyst or just a pawn used by *******, Golden and others who hated Marshall and wanted him cancelled. Not sure they really achieved their goal as Coach Marshall ended up with a pretty sweet settlement and a pretty cushy lifestyle. With the way college basketball is these days Coach Marshall may even be thankful that he is done with it (although I certainly don't know that's the case).

In any case, what's done is done. What will boycotting the AfterShocks and the TBT now accomplish? Anything positive? OTOH, I am not sure why Shaq thinks it is a good idea to be a part of the AfterShocks and what he hopes to accomplish with that. Will fans soften on him if he plays great and leads the AfterShocks to a TBT Championship?
                    There was lots of support from his players pre 2016 era. Wiggins, Cle, Ragland, Armstead, CJ, Ramon, Stutz, and maybe a couple of others made comments in his favor on social media. Of course none of them seem to count as he turned into an ogre immediately after all of them left.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

There was lots of support from his players pre 2016 era. Wiggins, Cle, Ragland, Armstead, CJ, Ramon, Stutz, and maybe a couple of others made comments in his favor on social media. Of course none of them seem to count as he turned into an ogre immediately after all of them left.
                      For as frustrating as he could be to watch last season, I
                      also held a lot of respect for Tyson, who backed Gregg on a couple different occasions.

78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

For as frustrating as he could be to watch last season, I
                        also held a lot of respect for Tyson, who backed Gregg on a couple different occasions.
                        Good comment and actually Trey Wade did too.

Comment

Some interesting points brought up in the last few posts that actually bring a different perspective than the typical back-and-forth regarding Marshall.

I think the most notable pre-2016 player that spoke out against Marshall was David Kyles, but I could be missing something. Basketball culture, and as a result, basketball players, has changed since the class of 2012 came out of high school, and mostly not for the better.

The one thing that continues to bug me is Fred not giving much, if any, public credit to Marshall. Marshall has always been effusive with his praise for Fred (sans the agent payment thing, which is part of the rift between the two as I understand it)…why can’t Fred ever acknowledge what Marshall did for him and his teammates? He speaks about Wichita State but rarely about Marshall.
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                            Some interesting points brought up in the last few posts that actually bring a different perspective than the typical back-and-forth regarding Marshall.

I think the most notable pre-2016 player that spoke out against Marshall was David Kyles, but I could be missing something. Basketball culture, and as a result, basketball players, has changed since the class of 2012 came out of high school, and mostly not for the better.

The one thing that continues to bug me is Fred not giving much, if any, public credit to Marshall. Marshall has always been effusive with his praise for Fred (sans the agent payment thing, which is part of the rift between the two as I understand it)…why can’t Fred ever acknowledge what Marshall did for him and his teammates? He speaks about Wichita State but rarely about Marshall.
                            There seems to be an easy and logical answer to your question. I don't think you'd like that answer. Fred is a man of extraordinary integrity. Perhaps he lives by the old guideline that if you can't say something good, sometimes it's best not to say anything. Sometimes silence is very loud.

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

There seems to be an easy and logical answer to your question. I don't think you'd like that answer. Fred is a man of extraordinary integrity. Perhaps he lives by the old guideline that if you can't say something good, sometimes it's best not to say anything. Sometimes silence is very loud.
                              It’s amazing how close someone can get to the truth and yet miss by so much.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

This is the truth.

Comment

Working...
                                X