No announcement yet.

Hinson to SIU being reported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen enough hate on the SIU board lately for us for me not to care. I like Hinson. He's a good guy. But I won't be crying tears into the Carbondale dam if they continue to fall deeper into Abyssville.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I don't see how they can go any farther down with this hire. They might be a middle of the pack team after a couple of years. They didn't have a chance in hell of being anything but a cellar dweller if Lowery had stayed.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
        I don't see how they can go any farther down with this hire. They might be a middle of the pack team after a couple of years. They didn't have a chance in hell of being anything but a cellar dweller if Lowery had stayed.
        SIU is starting to sound like WSU in the 90s. Will take more than a coach to fix it.
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I like Hinson, always did, even when he was at you know where. But yesterday SalukiTalk was about to melt down with the news. Haven't been there yet today to see if it has gotten better.

Comment

They weren't going to land any coach on the rise with where their program is. If they thought they had a chance at someone like that then they'd fooled themselves. Once Hinson gets things corrected they'll be in better shape for the next hire.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I like the hire. His results at MSU weren't far behind Turgeon / Marshall. One could argue that he didn't get the chance to coach his best team. He was able to recruit local talent and I always enjoyed the playing style his teams exhibited.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                They weren't going to land any coach on the rise with where their program is. If they thought they had a chance at someone like that then they'd fooled themselves. Once Hinson gets things corrected they'll be in better shape for the next hire.
                Did ya hear that, Barry?

Comment

One thing about Barry. He has a lot of experience working within a constrained budget from his MSU days. From what it sounds like that experience will come in handy at SIU.

Comment

Head coaching experience - check
                    Proven winner at the level where SIU competes - check
                    Willing to take on the horrible job at SIU - check

SIU wasn't going to be able to hire a solid assistant looking to move up. Those guys are looking for a better opportunity than the rebuilding job that's going to be needed in Carbondale. Tad Boyle's route through Northern Colorado is more attractive than trying to take a cellar-dweller in a very competetive conference and move them up. I don't think WSU had a shot at Turgeon except for the fact that he grew up in Kansas and thought he wanted to be close to his family.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Hinson was the best coach that they could afford and was willing to take the job. At least he should be able to keep his recruits from jumping ship each year and he won't be throwing his players under the bus after each loss and not giving them any credit after wins. I still look for it to take 2 or 3 years for him to clean up the mess Lowery made of SIU.

Comment

minimum of three years.

Comment

ST. LOUIS — During his nine seasons at Missouri State, Barry Hinson had his way with Southern Illinois. The Bears accounted for a quarter of the Salukis’ paltry 40 conference losses during that str…

Hinson was introduced Wednesday as the new men’s basketball coach at Southern Illinois, signing a five-year, nearly $1.5 million contract
                          I'm interpreting that to mean Barry is getting about 300k per year. If nothing else SIU's HC salary per win will go way down.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            http://cjonline.com/sports/2012-03-2...-salukis-coach

I'm interpreting that to mean Barry is getting about 300k per year. If nothing else SIU's HC salary per win will go way down.
                            First 2 years are 250k per year: http://mvc-sports.com/mbasketball/ne...ketball-coach/
                            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                            -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                              How much was Lowery making a year?

Comment

So he's getting a raise over what SWOMO paid
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X