Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barkeep1967 View Post
    Good for you guys for us not so much.
    I don't really see the downside of this hire. The only knock on Hinson is that his teams haven't been able to quite make it over the top, but they are always solid. Right now that is exactly was SIU needs. With a new arena to pay for and season ticket holders bailing, SIU needs someone who can make the program respectable and can't really afford to take chances on a guy who might be great, but might be a bust. Hinson will win games. He may or may not win championships, but the school can decide if he is the long term answer at a latter date. In the meantime, he appears to be the key to getting respectable enough that a good coach would be interested down the road.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
      What happened with Bruce Weber?
      He said no thank you

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        I think SIU may also have been somewhat financially constrained in terms of the kind of pay package they could put toghether, although I guess that remains to be seen. Barry is used to being paid on the cheap.

I don't know if Barry is the best hire for SIU. He is probably the safe hire. Great guy. Good personality.

If I was SIU I probably would have tried something like Jim Schause did at Ohio. A well-respected, experienced assistant fron a successful program.

In any case, I wish Barry well if he is, in fact, the guy. We need SIU to be much better than they have been in recent years.
        I wouldn't be happy if WSU had an opening and we hired him here.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
          I don't really see the downside of this hire. The only knock on Hinson is that his teams haven't been able to quite make it over the top, but they are always solid. Right now that is exactly was SIU needs. With a new arena to pay for and season ticket holders bailing, SIU needs someone who can make the program respectable and can't really afford to take chances on a guy who might be great, but might be a bust. Hinson will win games. He may or may not win championships, but the school can decide if he is the long term answer at a latter date. In the meantime, he appears to be the key to getting respectable enough that a good coach would be interested down the road.
          Great so the goal is I hope he is good enough we can hire somebody better later ? FML

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
            I wouldn't be happy if WSU had an opening and we hired him here.
            I agree, but comparing where SIU is right now to where WSU is right now is apples to oranges, especially financially.

Comment

Yesterday, making sure the post game meal at the Final Four was catered correctly. Today, head basketball coach in our awesome conference. Fantastic.

Comment

Pretty pathetic hire and very reflective of the financial health of SIU's athletic department.

Everyone knows what Barry's ceiling is, and it's low enough for ex-Shocker Matt Schultz to bump his noggin on it when he stands up.

Comment

Can't wait to see the little stomper back on the sidelines. This is a great hire... for WSU.

It makes SIU competitive which will be good for league rpi, but not too good to be a serious threat every year.
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by barkeep1967 View Post
                    Great so the goal is I hope he is good enough we can hire somebody better later ? FML
                    No exactly. Hinson is a good enough coach that he may be the long term answer. I have a lot of respect for him. It is hard to guarantee that a coach will win championships, but what SIU really cannot afford is a repeat of what happened with Lowery. I don't see the bottom dropping out with Hinson the way it did with Lowery, and if you can be consistently good you are always a contender.

You just had a coach with a huge price tag that couldn't consistently win games, although does have an NCAA run to his credit. Hinson is the exact opposite of that. After living through Lowery, I would think that SIU might appreciate a guy who consistently wins.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

The big question is, how's the BBQ in Carbondale?

And I really like Coach Hinson. He's a stand up guy, and was always a class act. I wish him and the Salukis well.

Comment

Who would have been within reason on SIU fan's short list that would have been better than Barry?
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Good hire for SIU and good for Henson. He was always a coach that was easy to like.

I loved how he stuck up for Perez during Perez' spat with Smithson, but did it in a way that was not too disrespectful of Smithson.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            Who would have been within reason on SIU fan's short list that would have been better than Barry?
                            Any SWAC coach. Seriously, if Barry was some sort of long term answer, don't you think a team, and I mean ANY team, would have looked at him? He's literally packing the bus for KU road trips!

Comment

If you don't think Barry learned anything in the last few years with Bill Self, you're kidding yourself.

Barry will be a better coach and he was FAR from a bad coach at SWOMO.

Even packing the luggage for Coach Self would make him better.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                                If you don't think Barry learned anything in the last few years with Bill Self, you're kidding yourself.

Barry will be a better coach and he was FAR from a bad coach at SWOMO.

Even packing the luggage for Coach Self would make him better.
                                So who looked at him before SIU? If your assertion is correct, that packing the luggage equates to learning from Bill Self and becoming a better coach, presumably there are tons of schools kicking down Barry's door. After all, he's been "learning" since 2008.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't think Hinson was necessarily a bad coach at MSU. However, it makes your conference look like total **** when one of the schools hires another team's bellhop. I mean not even an assistant coach. Up until last year, his job title was "director of external relations."

Comment

Working...
                                X