Wichita State at Cincinnati Game Thread 2-17-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WUs Your Daddy II View Post

Despite the mixed metaphor there still haven’t been any examples provided.

Really not trying to take a side, I am just curious about in-game, strategic mistakes people are seeing that maybe I am missing.
    Look back in the thread. I gave you one.
    I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• There is individual talent on the team. There is energy but no synergy.
      Twelve assists tonight but only six from those not named Porter.
      Too much one on one basketball. I'm disappointed in the coaching.
      We were not well prepared. I'll keep watching until we lose our final
      game early in the AAC tournament and hope to still be around next season
      to bore you all with my lengthy unfashionable posts. Go WSU

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post

Look back in the thread. I gave you one.
        Yep, and it is valid. But one substitution seems hardly worth the “stupidest coach in history” moniker people are giving him.

I would just think that people who have such strong beliefs would have specific changes to the Xs and Os that they would like to see made.

For me, it seems like we just aren’t built for this conference. And yes, Pleasant and Grant are definitely guys that don’t seems to belong at this level, but everyone else is a Marshall guy—including an immobile 6’ 8,” 245 lb center.
        Last edited by WUs Your Daddy II; February 17, 2022, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• My only comment… in the pregame one announcer ssid Craig was an elite point guard.

I beg to differ.

Comment

• I think IB does his best. The problem is he really doesn't have the ability at this point to be a successful coach in this conference. He looks lost at times on the bench. My guess is we end the conference 5 and 10, maybe 6 and 9. That's just not acceptable. The players on this team are capable of winning games. The coaching staff is not.
            I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

I think IB does his best. The problem is he really doesn't have the ability at this point to be a successful coach in this conference. He looks lost at times on the bench. My guess is we end the conference 5 and 10, maybe 6 and 9. That's just not acceptable. The players on this team are capable of winning games. The coaching staff is not.

I love the way Ron Hunter is coaching at Tulane.

My hope is that IB can get a guy like Jalen Cook. For all his faults, Alterique Gilbert was crucial last year.

I will be going to Ft Worth. It should be interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by StunningSteve View Post

I love the way Ron Hunter is coaching at Tulane.

My hope is that IB can get a guy like Jalen Cook. For all his faults, Alterique Gilbert was crucial last year.

I will be going to Ft Worth. It should be interesting.
                We were in the running for Cook before fACGH left. He went to LSU. So did Cook.

Comment

• Originally posted by WUs Your Daddy II View Post

Yep, and it is valid. But one substitution seems hardly worth the “stupidest coach in history” moniker people are giving him.

I would just think that people who have such strong beliefs would have specific changes to the Xs and Os that they would like to see made.

For me, it seems like we just aren’t built for this conference. And yes, Pleasant and Grant are definitely guys that don’t seems to belong at this level, but everyone else is a Marshall guy—including an immobile 6’ 8,” 245 lb center.
                  He’s not the stupidest coach in history because Cohen and Thompson were more stupid. The man does not have his team ready to play because he is a players coach. He is a friend of the players and not an objective evaluator of their talent. He is nowhere near intense enough himself to instill the alertness, clarity, urgency, intensity, toughness, competitiveness, grittiness, killer instinct, determination and desire to push through to score more points than the other team every night. The origin of this ethic is inside the person and it flows to the players from practice day 1. It manifests itself on the sideline by someone appearing to not rest with the players or his assistants, the refs or anyone who stands as a barrier to winning the game. This transcends what you are looking for in game adjustments and strategies and Xs and Os. The players under Marshall said we won because practices were so grueling , exacting and tough between the players that by the time they played the games, life was easy. That was the “it” factor.

you can’t develop it. You have it or you don’t and everything else that constitutes good basketball coaching flows from this aptitude.
                  Last edited by Ashockalypse; February 17, 2022, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• WSU battled. Had they made a couple more of their open looks, taken away a couple of Cincy open looks, and not given up a couple of atomic bombs WSU would have been in a good position to steal a V. This happens - WSU will get them next time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                      He’s not the stupidest coach in history because Cohen and Thompson were more stupid. The man does not have his team ready to play because he is a players coach. He is a friend of the players and not an objective evaluator of their talent. He is nowhere near intense enough himself to instill the alertness, clarity, urgency, intensity, toughness, competitiveness, grittiness, killer instinct, determination and desire to push through to score more points than the other team every night. The origin of this ethic is inside the person and it flows to the players from practice day 1. It manifests itself on the sideline by someone appearing to not rest with the players or his assistants, the refs or anyone who stands as a barrier to winning the game. This transcends what you are looking for in game adjustments and strategies and Xs and Os. The players under Marshall said we won because practices were so grueling , exacting and tough between the players that by the time they played the games, life was easy. That was the “it” factor.

you can’t develop it. You have it or you don’t and everything else that constitutes good basketball coaching flows from this aptitude.
                      You can be a players' coach and also be a good coach. The two are not mutually exclusive. There are players' coaches who are successful across the country. You don't have to physically and mentally abuse players in order to be a good coach.

I'm not saying Isaac Brown is a good coach. But I'm saying your analysis as to why he isn't is incorrect.
                      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Porter had 9 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 block and 2 turnovers. He isn't perfect but we play far better with him than without.
                        And WSU got their a**es kicked too. How'd their guards do? I haven't looked at the box score, but what I saw of the game the Shocks sure weren't getting over powered down on the block, which is the endless drone on this board quite often (no post presence).

I've never said anywhere on this board he's a bad player. I've said what the team is missing this year vs. last is an all-conference (3rd team) point guard. Porter is not an all-conference point guard. That's just the truth. This years team has trouble running sets and running fast breaks. In spite of that the team has still lost several close and winnable games that last year were W's. I don't believe the difference between this year and last was covid. That's kind of missing and/or ignoring the obvious.

Porter came out of the gate weak in a big road game. For some reason he woke up when the game was out of hand. He's lucky that euro wasn't called a travel, right after he carried it, and his prayer was answered.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post

You can be a players' coach and also be a good coach. The two are not mutually exclusive. There are players' coaches who are successful across the country. You don't have to physically and mentally abuse players in order to be a good coach.

I'm not saying Isaac Brown is a good coach. But I'm saying your analysis as to why he isn't is incorrect.
                          Yes, they are mutually exclusive. But don’t mindlessly jump to extremes. Just because you’re not friends with the players doesn’t mean your mentally and physically abusive. Jeez, what kind of babies do we have growing up nowadays. It’s called Coaching and I got news for the snowflakes, the good coaches now are still in the middle of their players asses when they screw up- watch a game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post

Yes, they are mutually exclusive. But don’t mindlessly jump to extremes. Just because you’re not friends with the players doesn’t mean your mentally and physically abusive. Jeez, what kind of babies do we have growing up nowadays. It’s called Coaching and I got news for the snowflakes, the good coaches now are still in the middle of their players asses when they screw up- watch a game.
                            maybe his comment is to offer a comparison to the previous coaches' style....maybe?

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

maybe his comment is to offer a comparison to the previous coaches' style....maybe?
                              I guess you’ve bought into it as well. Go for it. Defame 3G at your pleasure. I guess you were there.

Comment

• I liked what IB said in the post game which was that there was a reason why teams are going off on three-pointers against us. It’s not some magical bit of bad luck. It’s because we’re not guarding out there. However, I don’t think he knows what to do to fix it.
                                Last edited by shock-it-to-me; February 18, 2022, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X