Gregg Marshall Reprimanded by MVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnnieBallgame View Post
    I like the idea of boycotting St. Louis for a year. What would happen if Koch Arena had a watch party(s), complete with SASO donations in lieu of expenditures on fuel, food, lodging, and tickets? Or perhaps we could donate to the Humane Society in honor of the Marshall's, or use donations for purchasing tickets that are commonly unused by corporate sponsors and give them to hell raising fans who have lost jobs...etc. If WSU sponsored an event, or encouraged watch parties at local establishments we could all tell the MVC to stick it and benefit our team without sharing with the other schools who piggyback and bring nothing to the table. Watkins and Elgin need to go
    I really like this idea a LOT! Charge a modest fee to get in, the gate revenue and concessions benefit US.

Comment

Originally posted by jay1jay View Post
      I completely understand why shock fans got GM's back and if he were our coach I would probably do the same. That being said GM reminds me a lot of a coach we have here in Nebraska - different sport and larger profile but similar. Both are extremely passionate, fans like them cause they win (although several don't think he wins enough and tire of Pelini's antics), and they both beat to their own drummer. The thing that I know you can't see is that the guy looks like a complete a** to everyone else. I know he might have been offered other jobs and probably will be gone after this year but I guarantee you his childish behavior has cost him jobs or some AD's won't even look at him, they don't want to deal with that ****. Good for you guys though, the longer you keep him the better you'll be. I don't think there are any coaches left that can instantly bring an all american with them :)

Save your fingers, I'm already sucking it, going to hell, eating sh*t, sCUm etc etc etc.

Good luck next week
      Fair enough. I just don't really care whether other teams/fans like our coach or not. In this day and age it's all about winning and that is what he is doing. I care more about the kids he brings in and that they value their education and graduate. Those are areas that are definately NOT a concern. No one can really say a bad thing about the players he has brought into the program. They stay out of trouble, are pretty respectful and do pretty well in class. I couldn't care less if people just think Marshall is an *** because he refuses to kiss up to anyone. He doesn't blow smoke up anyone's *** and that is a breath of fresh air.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
        Coach Marshall really gave Elgin the finger here - does anybody else read between the line and think this is foreshadowing Marshall not coming back?
        All I read was 3G being mad and deciding to risk suspension instead of just saying he was sorry and leaving it at that.

Comment

I completely understand why shock fans got GM's back and if he were our coach I would probably do the same. That being said GM reminds me a lot of a coach we have here in Nebraska - different sport and larger profile but similar. Both are extremely passionate, fans like them cause they win (although several don't think he wins enough and tire of Pelini's antics), and they both beat to their own drummer. The thing that I know you can't see is that the guy looks like a complete a** to everyone else. I know he might have been offered other jobs and probably will be gone after this year but I guarantee you his childish behavior has cost him jobs or some AD's won't even look at him, they don't want to deal with that ****. Good for you guys though, the longer you keep him the better you'll be. I don't think there are any coaches left that can instantly bring an all american with them :)

Save your fingers, I'm already sucking it, going to hell, eating sh*t, sCUm etc etc etc.

Good luck next week
          I don't see a problem with that.

I think you generally want your coach to be beloved by your fanbase and reviled by others.

I doubt Marshall's antics would cost him any jobs, though. He wins, he hasn't caused any scandals ... he's what, gotten a reprimand? That will hardly even register to schools that would try to sign him away. What you want from your coach is to win games, recruit good and ethical players that are both talented and graduate without getting arrested, get your fanbase energized, not let your program's reputation be tarnished, not oversee scandals, etc. I don't think a reprimand or being outspoken is going to factor in.

To flip your statement, "I completely understand why Creighton fans hate GM and if he were your coach I would probably do the same." As much as Shocker fans' perception is tainted by him being our coach, your perception is just as tainted by him being the coach of your rival school. Most Shocker fans think McDermott is a tool as well.
          Originally posted by BleacherReport
          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by benishock View Post
            I hope you're wrong SB, but you can't help but wonder.
            I hope I'm wrong also. But If you look at all that has happened, he got to be thinking he can't get a fair shake in this conference.

Comment

Other than this instance, please list the occasions of HCGM uncorking and looking like an ***? Please do not include the Matty P interview either. He has already been proven a douche wiper.

I will credit you for a very thoughtful, interesting perspective without flaming.

Pelini is way less composed during a game than HCGM. More like Frank Martin to me.
              Last edited by shoxlax; March 6, 2012, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I hope I'm wrong also. But If you look at all that has happened, he got to be thinking he can't get a fair shake in this conference.
                Conference USA/Mountain West. Think of the road trips, baby.

Comment

Good luck next week
                  The difference between that guy in Nebraska and that guy down here is the guy down here actually WINS basketball games. You can say he acts like an *** all you want. He's an emotional guy. When I get pissed off, I'm an emotional person. So he said "strange things" happened the other day in the heat of the moment. Reprimand him. Slap him on the wrist. Give him more motivation.

Other coaches in this league can be cute and nice and can have fun coaching in the CIT or getting a nice break after the Valley Tournament because they aren't doing anything. I'll take a passionate coach who wins basketball games. As an outsider, you see all the "negative" things Marshall does. What you don't see reported on the conference message boards or by your media are things Marshall says and does that are good. You have no clue who that "***" is. You'd probably regret it if you actually met him.

I think Marshall likes to embrace the hate and us Shocker fans embrace the hate. We don't care. We like being hated. Being hated usually means you aren't sucking it up and teetering on obscurity.
                  Last edited by Shockitude; March 6, 2012, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Coach Marshall really gave Elgin the finger here - does anybody else read between the line and think this is foreshadowing Marshall not coming back?
                    I've got as much insight into mind reading HCGM as you do, so here my take.

I'm more a glass 1/2 full guy, how about he knows WSU in on the verge of joining a new BB conference so he could care less about the MVC office.

I can dream can't I.

Comment

Originally posted by TheYeti View Post
                      I can see your point. If there were no or darned few yellow shirts in the stands, our coaches and players would know why. Could be a rallying point and help them play with a bit of a nasty attitude. I like it. I'll renew season tickets of course, but I can skip the MVC tournament. I'm on board!
                      That's because you live west of "the end of the world," so you're looking for any reason not to make that horrid drive.
                      lol

Comment

jay1jay,
                        Sometimes it is necessary to set a backfire in order to put out a fire! Wichita is a town of honest, hardworking folk, who will fight back when they are knocked down. We've had some good times, and some bad times but we never, ever quit. I can understand why you might have the opinion you have, but your perspective really doesn't matter to us. Just like I'm sure most of the NU fans don't care that I think Bo Pelini looks like he is pouting and going to throw a temper tantrum. FWIW, Bill Cowher often had the same expression. Frank Martin at KSU looks like a stark raving lunatic, Bob Knight often had the appearance of being out of control. The "fire" of a self-made coach is often the very reason for the success. IMHO Gregg Marshall's fire is the reason for much of his success, and why this town admires him. He is most definitely not perfect, but he is one of us and we love him.

Good luck in NCAA Tourney, y'all need to win a couple this time around!

Comment

By the way, headbutting your son and berating him like a little puppy on national tv is a perfectly acceptable form of behavior and clearly means you're NOT an ***. Sure funny how things can erupt when you're emotional, not winning (in this case, getting your *** kicked), and things don't seem to be going your way.

The difference is Marshall gets extra flack for it because he's dressed in black and gold and says things like they are, not pretty boying them up and bending over for everybody within the sound of his voice.

Comment

You know, I am actually in favor of BracketBusters due to easy scheduling a higher RPI game. But this might just be the impetus to go ahead and pull out of BracketBuster ... JUST TO PISS OFF ELGIN.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                              That's because you live west of "the end of the world," so you're looking for any reason not to make that horrid drive.
                              lol
                              OK ya got me there. If the Earth were to get an enema, this is probably where the hose goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                You know, I am actually in favor of BracketBusters due to easy scheduling a higher RPI game. But this might just be the impetus to go ahead and pull out of BracketBuster ... JUST TO PISS OFF ELGIN.
                                Im pretty sure we cant unless the University would be willing to incure some major major fines and/or lawsuits. Im pretty sure both the conference and ESPN could sue us for breach of contract. Not to mention we would get no tv time on ESPN throughout the year. Participating in bracketbusters is something we (and the other teams in the conference) have to fulfill in order to get Valley games broadcast on ESPN. If we threatened that, Elgin would probably just say no ESPN games for you...pretty sure he told Missouri State the same thing when they expressed a desire to not participate and he'd probably also say see you in court, which, no offense meant, the conference would most likely win. So..yeah...that wouldnt work. Sorry, just saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X