Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much time should HCIB get to right the ship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Cut loose Kennedy and bring back Greg Heier as top assistant. Maybe that would alleviate some issues and help stabilize the program in the short term.
    I have been thinking about this. Is Coach Lou the only other coach that can make a game plan? Waterman seems to be only a recruiter, maybe the coach that tries to calm guys down when they get to the bench. I'm not sure if Kennedy does anything. It seemed like GM had multiple good assistants at a time to help him with game plans and in-game adjustments.

Comment

• I love Chris Jans more than anybody but has anyone watched NM State this year? They are so much more talented than anyone else in their conference, that they can play somewhat poorly and still win. I didn’t think they were that good against Grand Canyon, who is very solid, and still won by double digits.

The point being, until we get better, bigger, smarter players there is zero margin of error. Our athleticism and playing hard only goes so far. Proshox is right-our roster now wouldn’t even win the Valley. I know IB does understand Xs and Os, however I said his two biggest challenges would be conveyance to his team effectively and recruiting better than most of the other schools in the league. The latter can hide a bunch of flaws.

I remember the legendary Artie Dillon telling me at the gym while he was tossing around barbells, his opinion on Roy Williams being overrated as a coach. He said, “Let’s give him the West High girls and a level playing field and see how he does”. That comment has stuck with me for years.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Just means he is feeling the pressure and it is getting to him. This season is over unless they can pull a miracle in the conference tournament.
        A miracle in the AAC tourney would be to win a game.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          I remember the legendary Artie Dillon telling me at the gym while he was tossing around barbells, his opinion on Roy Williams being overrated as a coach. He said, “Let’s give him the West High girls and a level playing field and see how he does”. That comment has stuck with me for years.
          Artie Dillon helped me get started lifting weights when I was in middle school. RIP.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I love Chris Jans more than anybody but has anyone watched NM State this year? They are so much more talented than anyone else in their conference, that they can play somewhat poorly and still win. I didn’t think they were that good against Grand Canyon, who is very solid, and still won by double digits.

The point being, until we get better, bigger, smarter players there is zero margin of error. Our athleticism and playing hard only goes so far. Proshox is right-our roster now wouldn’t even win the Valley. I know IB does understand Xs and Os, however I said his two biggest challenges would be conveyance to his team effectively and recruiting better than most of the other schools in the league. The latter can hide a bunch of flaws.

Artie was one of my favorite coaches at South in the day.

Comment

My daughter was repeatedly and unsuccessfully recruited by the West High girls coach - she'd never touched a basketball, wore thick glasses and was a band/drama nerd, but she was also 5'8" and both her eyes pointed forward so maybe they thought they could build a team around her. Even Roy couldn't fix that mess.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

Artie was one of my favorite coaches at South in the day.
                Totally forgot about Coach Dillon. I remember walking into the weight room while he and Lawrence Pete ( I think he was a senior at the time) were working out and thinking to myself they could lift the entire building. Guys were absolutely huge.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Totally forgot about Coach Dillon. I remember walking into the weight room while he and Lawrence Pete ( I think he was a senior at the time) were working out and thinking to myself they could lift the entire building. Guys were absolutely huge.
                  Coach Dillon was always giving Ricky Ross a hard time about filling out that lanky body.

Comment

I love Chris Jans more than anybody but has anyone watched NM State this year? They are so much more talented than anyone else in their conference, that they can play somewhat poorly and still win. I didn’t think they were that good against Grand Canyon, who is very solid, and still won by double digits.

This cannot be emphasized enough.

There is plenty of criticism to go around re: in-game decisions/not holding guys accountable. But if you took any roster we had from 2012-2018 and threw them in this year, we'd be looking forward to March Madness and looking at what seed we might be getting.

It's part of his (and his staff's) job, too. They need to get out and recruit better players. If it doesn't start with this next class, the IB era will be over as soon as it started. But even Gregg Marshall couldn't take this team to the tournament. Some of our starters this season wouldn't even see the floor from 2012-2018.

Again, personnel is part of the job description. And it's not an area IB and staff have done well so far.

Comment

This has always been the flaw when evaluating someone's coaching ability. Give them all the same talent and let's see what happens. When you are at KU and burger boys just show up because, how hard is that? All things considered, the value of a coach is as much related to recruiting ability as Xs and Os. Gotta have it all. Just ask Memphis fans.

Comment

• We are 10-8. In 5 of those (8) games (not even counting Arizona who we should have beaten in the end) we were leading. In several of the five, we were leading by significant numbers but couldn't build the lead further, and ended up losing by playing a really bad second half, and/or end of the game. Thus, with the law of averages, we should be at least 13-5. Talent is great, and with more talent, maybe we win a couple more (and we might have lost with more talent too), but Talent isn't the reason for those losses. Our guards are a talented group that should be able to play with most anyone.

Comment

• We aren’t as talented as we have been but we have enough talent to have won all the games we had double digit leads. IB wouldn’t have taken some of our most talented teams to the tournament and that is further pretending that he would intersect with that talent as a head coach in the first place.

Comment

• I remember somebody, maybe Barry Switzer or Bob Stoops, say that Bill Snyder could beat you with his players or yours. Even Bill had multiple players in the NFL….but he found them when no one else could.

Comment

• Thing that really sucks is my daughter who's a freshman in High School has already had contact with a coach on the bowling team. I was REALLY hoping for that so I could make weekend visits (we're from Iowa) so I could attend multiple games. Not so sure I'm wanting to do that right now!

Comment

I remember somebody, maybe Barry Switzer or Bob Stoops, say that Bill Snyder could beat you with his players or yours. Even Bill had multiple players in the NFL….but he found them when no one else could.
                                I know that quote has been used to reference Bob Knight. He could beat you with his five, then take your five and beat his five.

No one ever clarified if they meant he would beat you in a game of basketball or physically beat you.

Comment

Working...
                                X