No announcement yet.

Wichita State at Houston Game Thread 1-8-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricky is a good player. He just needs to be reigned in. He makes bone headed plays when allowed to handle the ball too much, sorta like McDuffie. We have several guys that would be better if we ran a system and the coach held them accountable.

Comment

• Originally posted by bleednblackngold View Post

Refs are human dude. They make mistakes and good coaches let them know when they do in a way to get their point across. Have you ever played or coached sports? Just curious?
      It's ironic that the guy who complains the most about foul calls on here, doesn't think a coach should during a game.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Imagine if RCIV had a staff to teach him defense

He has the athleticism to be 1st Team
        The Assman

Comment

• When a team has been on a losing streak you are looking for signs of progress.

The offense has implemented a few new wrinkles… for instance the dribble hand-off weave action that forces the defense to move and make some decisions.

The game was an improvement from the second half of UNT and the full forty against Memphis. We still need more passing and less pounding the ball, but I recognize passing isn’t in the DNA of any of our players.

Dex showed signs of his spring basketball form. Hopefully his offensive improvement will continue.

Tyson actually swung the ball well when we didn’t have him bring the ball up the court. The wrinkle of him starting on-ball didn’t seem to work in this game.

Porter is one three point make/game and 2 assists a game from being a superstar player. He can do a lot at a high level.

Pohto had some good inside touches including finishing a set play and getting fouled. He needs to continue to gain confidence.

Monzy continues to have great highlights. He is a box-out or two away from earning 25+ minutes per game.

Ricky has tools, but he makes Duke Tshomba look like an All-American Defender.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
            Imagine if RCIV had a staff to teach him defense

He has the athleticism to be 1st Team
            Ricky is the only guy not playing good defense. Defense is one thing the Shockers do well across the board. We either have remarkable individual defenders or a coaching staff that can coach defense. I will go with the coaching staff on this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
              Ricky is a good player. He just needs to be reigned in. He makes bone headed plays when allowed to handle the ball too much, sorta like McDuffie. We have several guys that would be better if we ran a system and the coach held them accountable.
              Understatement of the Century!

Comment

• I wonder if there’s an example of a coach with no system and no culture who woke up mid season and mid coaching stint and flipped it all around.

Comment

• If you want to over analyze a single play that perfectly illustrates everyone’s concerns about the effectiveness of these coaches to lead us to where we want them to be is the last azz pass by TE to Porter after Houston just scored ending the 9-0 run.
                  In that moment, how in the heck can you be that careless? That’s not being overly aggressive and making an error. That was not recognizing the importance of that moment in the game.
                  Starring down and throwing careless lob pass to the player everyone on the court knew he was going to pass when no one was guarding him and totally could have gotten closer to be easy hand or better pass. There are so many things wrong with that pass on so many levels that I could write a complete article seriously questioning the state of the program with the current coaches moving forward based on that pass alone.
                  There are plenty of other topics on here dealing with IB or the AD overall so I won’t go into all that, But, until IB and company prove otherwise my next great hope is he can land more Pohto’s than Pleasants because expecting incremental progress with this current collection of coaches and athletes seems like an exercise in futility or an excuse for excessive drinking.
                  If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                    I wonder if there’s an example of a coach with no system and no culture who woke up mid season and mid coaching stint and flipped it all around.
                    Our culture is “letting dawgs be dawgs” and Coach is a really nice guy.

Comment

• IB actually complained in postgame that we "got off to a slow start at the start of both halves".

There is a saying that apparently IB has never heard: If you continue to do things the way you always have, you will continue to get what you have always got.

Why the hell is JP starting??? He brings no energy, he can't jump, he looks like a plow horse plodding up and down the court. His +/- for the year is probably the worst on the team. (that is where +/- is valuable by the way -- over the long haul) We have a guy, Monzy, that brings energy and is better in practically every analytic category, but IB keeps going with JP.

Comment

• We played in spurts today which is better than last week. We played good D first half, not so in second half. We were getting beat off the dribble continuously that’s why I thought we’d play some zone especially with Udeze being in foul trouble. Porter played one of his better games and Dennis hit some 3s. Photo had some nice minutes but other than that it was a struggle. Etiennes cross court pass, atomic bomb put the nail in the coffin when we cut it to 6. .500 year in league play might be a stretch…

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxFan7 View Post
                          If you want to over analyze a single play that perfectly illustrates everyone’s concerns about the effectiveness of these coaches to lead us to where we want them to be is the last azz pass by TE to Porter after Houston just scored ending the 9-0 run.
                          In that moment, how in the heck can you be that careless? That’s not being overly aggressive and making an error. That was not recognizing the importance of that moment in the game.
                          Starring down and throwing careless lob pass to the player everyone on the court knew he was going to pass when no one was guarding him and totally could have gotten closer to be easy hand or better pass. There are so many things wrong with that pass on so many levels that I could write a complete article seriously questioning the state of the program with the current coaches moving forward based on that pass alone.
                          There are plenty of other topics on here dealing with IB or the AD overall so I won’t go into all that, But, until IB and company prove otherwise my next great hope is he can land more Pohto’s than Pleasants because expecting incremental progress with this current collection of coaches and athletes seems like an exercise in futility or an excuse for excessive drinking.
                          I have started to notice a little bickering going on lately. That play was a good example, after TE finishes fouling on the layup after that pass, it appeared to me he was getting on to CP. I have to wonder if team chemistry is starting go south.

Comment

• We go on a run cut it to 6. There is a time out.

Apparently IB decides to do a little coaching and he comes up with lets have TE get the ball out of bounds since he has hardly touched it during the 9-0 run. Never mind that maybe that is why we had a 9-0 run.

Of course he promptly throws it and the game away, fouls the guy and then is yapping at Porter when he helps him up.

Thank you IB

But he is not done. Now he decides to start substituting for the group that got us back in the game. Including bringing back JP. Houston blows the game back out of reach.

I think IB deserves a participation ribbon for his effort. I mean he tried right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                              We go on a run cut it to 6. There is a time out.

Apparently IB decides to do a little coaching and he comes up with lets have TE get the ball out of bounds since he has hardly touched it during the 9-0 run. Never mind that maybe that is why we had a 9-0 run.

Of course he promptly throws it and the game away, fouls the guy and then is yapping at Porter when he helps him up.

Thank you IB

But he is not done. Now he decides to start substituting for the group that got us back in the game. Including bringing back JP. Houston blows the game back out of reach.

I think IB deserves a participation ribbon for his effort. I mean he tried right?
                              Monzy was on his way to a double double with 9 and 8 rebounds. Any idea why he didn't play the final 10 minutes?

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Monzy was on his way to a double double with 9 and 8 rebounds. Any idea why he didn't play the final 10 minutes?
                                IB doesn't know how to effectively use his bench
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X