Sports Daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Which is what I was hoping the relationship with WSU Tech would allow although WSU will have to make some adjustments in course and requirement order.
    I’m confused Shoxlax. Is this a solution for WSU athletes, but your above post is pointed toward all WSU students (and federal funds)? It sounded like that was where you were headed, especially since you are saying this on a basketball thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I’m confused Shoxlax. Is this a solution for WSU athletes, but your above post is pointed toward all WSU students (and federal funds)? It sounded like that was where you were headed, especially since you are saying this on a basketball thread.
      It should be a course of study option for all students but seems to me something similar at every university would benefit athletes who are getting degrees in areas that produce very few jobs.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

It should be a course of study option for all students but seems to me something similar at every university would benefit athletes who are getting degrees in areas that produce very few jobs.
        I agree with you.

I do think that Gretchen Torline wants the best for athletes, but she may not have thought of this pathway for the kids, or perhaps our athletes haven’t had interest in plumbing, welding, etc. The students/athletes, after all make the final decision on the education pathway they wish to take.

Comment

• Don't the athletes have to be enrolled in a 4 yr degree program? WSU Tech is considered a certificate program or 2 yr type of setup I believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
            Don't the athletes have to be enrolled in a 4 yr degree program? WSU Tech is considered a certificate program or 2 yr type of setup I believe.
            That was my thought. Would they be eligible per NCAA rules if they were taking those courses.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
              Don't the athletes have to be enrolled in a 4 yr degree program? WSU Tech is considered a certificate program or 2 yr type of setup I believe.
              That is correct you can get either a Certificate in certain skill or a 2-year Associate Degree where you take some general studies in addition to the technical certification you seek. The technical courses are identical and the students work together on those whether they are working for the Certificate or for the Associates Degree.

My grandson had 2 graduations this spring. One from Southeast High School and one from WSU Tech with a Certificate in Welding.

Whether or not some of their offerings could be incorporated into a 4-year degree program I don't know. But most of the WSU Tech students are not interested in 4-years of college at least at this point. If they have their Associates degree they would have 2 more years to finish up if they decided they want to go that route.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 12, 2022, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

That is correct you can get either a Certificate in certain skill or a 2-year Associate Degree where you take some general studies in addition to the technical certification you seek. The technical courses are identical and the students work together on those whether they are working for the Certificate or for the Associates Degree.

My grandson had 2 graduations this spring. One from Southeast High School and one from WSU Tech with a Certificate in Welding.

Whether or not some of their offerings could be incorporated into a 4-year degree program I don't know. But most of the WSU Tech students are not interested in 4-years of college at least at this point. If they have their Associates degree they would have 2 more years to finish up if they decided they want to go that route.
                Your last paragraph sums up the issue. Concurrent enrollment isn’t as easily accomplished as it sounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

That was my thought. Would they be eligible per NCAA rules if they were taking those courses.
                  It is all dependent on how bad the school wants to restructure its programs.

If you want a model look at Pitt State and how one can transition into a four year program easily.

Comment

• I love how SN morphs a thread from local radio sports talk to WSU athletes should be welders.

It’s awesome!

Comment

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                      I love how SN morphs a thread from local radio sports talk to WSU athletes should be welders.

It’s awesome!
                      Great song/timeless lyrics… and “welders” mention.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I love how SN morphs a thread from local radio sports talk to WSU athletes should be welders.

It’s awesome!
                        That subject needs to be moved to the 'Welders' forum!

Comment

It’s awesome!
                          To be fair .. we've had plenty of players that showed off their trade (masonry) skills on the court!

Comment

It’s awesome!
                            I will take full credit for the train being off the tracks.

Comment

• People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                                It looks like thermite welding, but one of those guys is obviously a plumber.
                                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X