• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because plants crave Brawndo
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      Have they started talking about watering crops with sports drinks yet?
      I believe California is contemplating that idea because of their water issues. They are waiting on Paul Pelosi to purchase his Gatorade stocks before announcing the move.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

I believe California is contemplating that idea because of their water issues. They are waiting on Paul Pelosi to purchase his Gatorade stocks before announcing the move.
        If only there was some very large body of water next to California that could provide what they need....

Comment

They haven't evolved to that extent, yet...

Yahoo is performing trials and recording results. They're getting very close.

Comment

But electrolytes are the thirst mutilator and what plants crave lol.

That movie is quickly turning from a ridiculous comedy to a somber black mirror episode.
            Last edited by ShoxRoxMySox; August 11, 2022, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Yeah, never mind that they receive room, board, world-class training, travel, nutrition, education, and a stipend...that's the big problem I have with this crap. If the argument was, "maybe some athletes generate more than what they're worth and should be paid for it," I would be fine with the whole NIL deal. It would make sense, especially for marquee players (FVV, Ron, Cle).

But that's not what it's about. It's gone beyond that.

All of these journalists who are somewhere to the left of Lenin are into capitalism for players, unironically. The whole argument falls apart when it comes to womens' sports and non-revenue sports, which are subsidized by football and/or mens' basketball.

You want players to earn their market value? Fine. But if that's the case you'll have to eliminate every non-revenue sport and/or women's sports in the process.

The system we had ten years ago benefitted student-athletes who may have never had the chance to get an education like they did, created pride within the universities, and was generally accepted by our culture. But no more. Because our cultural institutions have become Communist breeding grounds, we must raze everything.

Jay Bilas and his ilk can kick rocks.
              That was a great post, Kel!

Comment

• I stand by my belief that colleges pushing student into worthless degrees as opposed to much needed tech education and management is a big mistake and does nothing in the long run for those who don’t play professionally.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                  I stand by my belief that colleges pushing student into worthless degrees as opposed to much needed tech education and management is a big mistake and does nothing in the long run for those who don’t play professionally.
                  The unfortunate fact is that it is very difficult to be a D1 athlete AND major in something real like engineering, pre-med, accounting, etc. A few make it happen somehow, but not many. Those that do are hardcore masters of time management.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

The unfortunate fact is that it is very difficult to be a D1 athlete AND major in something real like engineering, pre-med, accounting, etc. A few make it happen somehow, but not many. Those that do are hardcore masters of time management.
                    Agree, but why can’t the first two years be learning a tech trade such as electrical, IT support, HVAC, aircraft avionics, or welding and the second two years focus on the business/management side of that trade? These jobs are in heavy demand and pay very well. Colleges have missed the boat by not doing this in fear of not being labeled academic enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

No, the first step if Gruesome Newsom allocating $5 billion from the "general fund" for "consultants" to study the issue for five years. See Bullet Train to Nowhere for references.

Comment

Agree, but why can’t the first two years be learning a tech trade such as electrical, IT support, HVAC, aircraft avionics, or welding and the second two years focus on the business/management side of that trade? These jobs are in heavy demand and pay very well. Colleges have missed the boat by not doing this in fear of not being labeled academic enough.
                        Have you talked to Gretchen Torline? As the basketball academic advisor, she should be able to control some of this, and advise the players toward the correct goals, I would think.

Comment

I stand by my belief that colleges pushing student into worthless degrees as opposed to much needed tech education and management is a big mistake and does nothing in the long run for those who don’t play professionally.
                          I can also tell you that as someone who has worked to attract students to universities, this is rampant. So many students who would be better off learning a trade or vocation end up studying business or social sciences or underwater basketweaving (there are a couple prominent WSU scholars - Gore and otherwise - who completely flamed out). And it's either subsidized by the federal government and/or placed as a bill on kids who don't know any better.
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I can also tell you that as someone who has worked to attract students to universities, this is rampant. So many students who would be better off learning a trade or vocation end up studying business or social sciences or underwater basketweaving (there are a couple prominent WSU scholars - Gore and otherwise - who completely flamed out). And it's either subsidized by the federal government and/or placed as a bill on kids who don't know any better.
                            It sounds like your moving away from asking questions on what’s best academically for student/athletes (which sure the questions that Shoxlax was asking) to grievances of non athletes. That’s why Gretchen Torline is key to stuedent athletes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

It sounds like your moving away from asking questions on what’s best academically for student/athletes (which sure the questions that Shoxlax was asking) to grievances of non athletes. That’s why Gretchen Torline is key to stuedent athletes.
                              True. I was moving from specifically talking about student-athletes to talking about students in general.

Broadly, it still applies. A basketball player who could become a great tradesman would do better to learn to weld, code, or build things than studying sociology.
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

True. I was moving from specifically talking about student-athletes to talking about students in general.

Broadly, it still applies. A basketball player who could become a great tradesman would do better to learn to weld, code, or build things than studying sociology.
                                Which is what I was hoping the relationship with WSU Tech would allow although WSU will have to make some adjustments in course and requirement order.

Comment

Working...
                                X