The Annual HCIB WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Fun side chat on this. Ole Good-man went off on Butler because they waited 22 days to fire Lavall Jordon because his buyout dropped significantly on April 1. He was completely ignoring the fact that ADs have a financial responsibility TO THEIR SCHOOLS. Not to a coach. His rants included pointing out that butler would struggle to hire a new coach after this. Well here we are ... All of two days later and they hired Thad Matta lol
    He is proven to be a know nothing idiot once again. Not surprised.

Comment

• So... If this season heads south early.... Ole Rick Pitino was basically cleared of all wrong doing by the NCAA today. Wonder if a move could be made there. No idea what Iona is paying him but wonder if we could get enough support with the new AD to make a move.

Comment

• I've always been leery of Pitino because of the stench that always follows, but that is a splash hire and he can recruit. If things continue to go south he's the type of guy that could come in and sell the school and conference to recruits and get things pointed in the right direction. The only question is how will he leave it when all is said and done and is that a gamble worth taking? Are there any other splash hires out there that come with less risk?

Not sure where Saal would stand on that one.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          I've always been leery of Pitino because of the stench that always follows, but that is a splash hire and he can recruit. If things continue to go south he's the type of guy that could come in and sell the school and conference to recruits and get things pointed in the right direction. The only question is how will he leave it when all is said and done and is that a gamble worth taking? Are there any other splash hires out there that come with less risk?

Not sure where Saal would stand on that one.
          Not to mention that Pitino is 70 years old. I would like for our next coach to stick around for another decade-plus. Especially in this new era of NIL, you have to have stability in the coaching staff., especially if The American's prestige is going to take a perceived hit here soon.
          78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Not to mention that Pitino is 70 years old. I would like for our next coach to stick around for another decade-plus. Especially in this new era of NIL, you have to have stability in the coaching staff., especially if The American's prestige is going to take a perceived hit here soon.
            I get that, but a quick fix to right the ship and allow Saal time to locate that younger, long-term guy isn't the worst case scenario. Not saying it's the best case scenario either.

Also didn't realize he was 70, but knew he was getting up there.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I get that, but a quick fix to right the ship and allow Saal time to locate that younger, long-term guy isn't the worst case scenario. Not saying it's the best case scenario either.

Also didn't realize he was 70, but knew he was getting up there.
              KS seems like a sharp enough guy that he won't need "years" to locate that long-term guy. It wouldn't surprise me if he is like Jim Schaus and has a short list of coaching hire possibilities for whenever the time comes (not just MBB but all sports).
              78-65

Comment

• This isn't an endorsement on Pitino, but fuq taking the high road. Nice guys finish last and in today's NIL landscape it's open season and no one knows what an infraction is these days. Just win baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

KS seems like a sharp enough guy that he won't need "years" to locate that long-term guy. It wouldn't surprise me if he is like Jim Schaus and has a short list of coaching hire possibilities for whenever the time comes (not just MBB but all sports).
                  If Steve Prohm does well over the next season or two at Murray State he could be on such a list. Kevin Saal hired him back to Murray State before taking the WSU job so he obviously likes him. Definitely not my first choice of replacement, but Prohm has been to the S16 before.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

If Steve Prohm does well over the next season or two at Murray State he could be on such a list. Kevin Saal hired him back to Murray State before taking the WSU job so he obviously likes him. Definitely not my first choice of replacement, but Prohm has been to the S16 before.
                    We won't find another GM, (not arguing whether that is best or not) but if we hire a new coach, he needs at least a little bit of Midwest, blue collar, "In Your Face" attitude here in this city. Mark Turgeon was a nice bridge, but not the long term fit for us. Steve Prohm isn't that kind of guy either . Ralph Miller was a good fit. Gene S. was a good fit. Chris Jans would have been a good fit. Forbes would have been a good fit.

Greg Heiar would be a nice fit now imo.

Comment

• 3G to return!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                        Greg Heiar would be a nice fit now imo.
                        From your typing/texting fingers to God's eyes.
                        78-65

Comment

• Once fADDB got billboarded, didn't that put Jans back in play? Sure he has a high profile gig now, but his family may want to come back to Wichita.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            Once fADDB got billboarded, didn't that put Jans back in play? Sure he has a high profile gig now, but his family may want to come back to Wichita.
                            I think you are correct to assume that. Thank you again Onegreatracer!!!!

Comment

• I'm still not sure we can pull Forbes from Wake, but it would be worth exploring when the time comes.

Heiar will have only had one year of D1 HC experience, but was also an assistant that was being groomed to lead and has had success at the JC level.

I'm still open to a guy like Adrian Griffin if he'd still be interested. I remember some don't like the idea because he hasn't been a HC, but he has years of NBA experience, and connections, and is considered a top NBA assistant and is from Wichita. I'd still be open to exploring that should the time come.

We missed the Jans boat thanks to the moron that used to sit in the top spot of the athletic department. I almost said led, but he didn't lead anyone anywhere but down.

Below are some interesting names that appear to be on the hot seat at their current schools. Coaches getting fired seem to be an odd hire on the surface, but sometimes location matters, as does resources and expectations and conference affiliations. Just because I list them, doesn't mean I'm endorsing them. They're just names that are recognized.

Jeff Capel (Pitt) - He's had some success in the past, though he's also had his share of struggles.

Bobby Hurley (Arizona St) - Was killing it at Buffalo but has struggled with ASU. Definitely has a name the average fan would probably recognize and some fire. Does he need to be on the east coast to succeed?

Kevin Keatts (NC State) - Was once viewed as a can't miss but has struggled at NC State, though a lot of people struggle there.

Jerod Haase (Stanford) - Another guy that was hot at a lower level and seemed to be the next big thing, but he's run into some struggles lately. KU connections are a negative.

Mark Fox (Cal) - Was once a name that I believe people floated around here should we lose Marshall years ago. Went to Georgia and had mixed levels of success and failure and hasn't done much at Cal.

Josh Pastner (Georgia Tech) - Another one of those guys who was seen as the next big thing and was seen as a major recruiter, but has struggled at Tech.

Mike Brey (Notre Dame) - His seat may not be as hot as some others, but it seems like his time at ND may be nearing the end. The guy has had some great success there though. Maybe a fresh start is needed.

Brad Brownell (Clemson) - Another one of those guys that was considered a great hire when it was made, but he's kind of been like Fox at Georgia. Up and down with nothing really spectacular. Maybe he needs a true basketball school to revive his career.

Then we have some potential younger options that are considered up and coming types.

Bob Richey (Furman) - He has a history on this board.

Andy Toole (Robert Morris) - Strong northeastern ties but is seen as a guy ready to make that step to a higher level.

Jordan Mincy (Jacksonville) - Was previously an assistant at Florida. Has been an assistant at a lot of schools in the southeast.

Luke Murray (UConn) - Currently an assistant at UConn and has previously worked under Sean Miller and Chris Mack. Said to be a good recruiter.

Brian Michaelson (Gonzaga) - He's been an assistant with Few for nearly a decade and has been said to be a key recruiter.

Ulric Maligi (Kansas State) - Associate HC at KSU and has spent years recruiting Texas for aTm, SMU, Tech and SFA. Said to be a tremendous leader.

Jamion Christian (Unemployed) - Has been a head coach since he was 29 at Mount St. Mary's, Siena and George Washington, where he was let go after last season. He was also an assistant for Shaka when they beat us in the tournament.

Richie Riley (South Alabama) - He may be the most successful coach USA has ever had.

Darris Nichols (Radford) - Was an assistant under Mike White at both Louisiana Tech and Florida before landing the head job at Radford. Too soon to see how he does as the head guy, but was the most successful first year coach Radford has seen in nearly 30 years. Not sure that says much about Radford.

Jeremy Ballard (FIU) - Strong ties to the SE, he's found some success at a school not known for it.

Austin Claunch (Nicholls State) - Was an assistant under Richie Riley before Riley left for USA. Claunch was promoted and has had some success.

Joel Justus (Arizona St) - Currently an assistant to Hurley, he spent a number of years as an assistant at Kentucky where he undoubtedly knows Saal.

Christian Webster (Virginia Tech) - Was an assistant to Buzz Williams and has remained there under Mike Young. Also a Harvard grad and helped lead them as a player to their first NCAA appearance in over 60 years.

Joe Krabbenhoft (Wisconsin) - Been an assistant with Wisconsin since '16. Alleged to be an important piece in player development with the Badgers as well as a key recruiter.

Mike Morrell (UNC Asheville) - Longtime assistant to Shaka and seen as a high level recruiter. Has seen some success in his short time at Asheville.

Ali Farokhmanesh (Colorado St) - We know who he is. He's a young fiery assistant with the Rams.

Bryan Mullins (SIU) - Another name we know and I think most of us respect. Was seen as an important piece to what Moser did at Loyola. Hasn't been great at SIU, but that's a school with major funding issues and has struggled for some time now. He is a fiery, hard nosed competitor which could play here.

Jai Lucas (Kentucky) - Spent some time as an assistant at Texas. Former Burger Boy. Highly thought of.

I'm done looking at names and lists that pop up about coaching for now. A few of these I may look more into later. Especially the head coaches.

I know some are not too keen on hiring assistants, but as I've said before, some are groomed for head jobs and are seen as head coaches and some are just really good assistants.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                Once fADDB got billboarded, didn't that put Jans back in play? Sure he has a high profile gig now, but his family may want to come back to Wichita.
                                One would hope, but I'm not sure he'd do that right now. Had we pulled him in before he got a "big" job, I think we'd land and keep him. I'm not sure we pull him away from a "big" job that he just started.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X