The Annual HCIB WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

Then I guess Marshall gets no credit for recruiting VanVleet or Baker since Dana Ford recruited VanVleet and Heiar found Baker.
    I am not following the logic in this statement. Are you saying that the players left when IB took over were completely foreign to him and he had no idea about their skill sets?

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

That may be true. I was at the game and watched him the whole time after CP went down. But he was catatonic after the play was finally stopped. How bout ripping the zebras a little? Just show something? Anything. I just don't get it.
      stick is IB’s excuse puppet. Don’t mind him.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        Could we bring HC3GM back if I commit to being the punching dummy!? Seriously, I'll sit there and take the wrath for the players so they don't have to.

Kick me in the nuts and call me Sally, Coach!! Whatever. Just come back!!!!
        I just like the condition of you being the coaching dummy...period.

Comment

Doc, I totally agree about Greg Heiar. Fantastic coach and his ability to develop guard skills unmatched here. Reference the credit Ron and Fred gave him for improving their ball handling, passing and overall guard play.

Comment

I think the talk of IB being like Cohen is a little overblown. Cohen never had a winning record nevermind a 25-10 record. Cohen never had a winning conference record nevermind a conference championship.

Are there things that I wish were different, yes. Is he the best coach ever? No. Do I wish there was a little more fire on the sideline, sure. But come on we act as if he was 10-25 and not 25-10.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Jans heard all about Ron but didn’t pay much attention. He finally relented and watched him at state semis. Saw no other D1 coaches in the building. Told 3G that he had to go watch him play. 3G: “Evan and Perry are playing in state final…and you want me to go watch some kid from Scott City?”

Chris went to Heights game while Gregg went to Hutch to watch Scott City, praying that Ron would play well enough to not make Chris look like an idiot. Then Gregg texted: “We have to get this kid in our program.“ And that was before Ron hit a buzzer beater to win state.

The rest, as they say, is history.
              A friend of mine coached that state semi game...told me later that Ron was the best player he had ever coached against, and he coached versus many D-1 players....

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

A friend of mine coached that state semi game...told me later that Ron was the best player he had ever coached against, and he coached versus many D-1 players....
                My brother was officiating in that State tournament. I don't recall him officiating Scott City, but he did see them play and he was very impressed with Ron. He text me after he saw him to ask what I knew about him and that he saw Jans there and figured it must be for him. He also mentioned how the opponent was trying to push Ron further and further off the 3pt line and he'd just pull up from 30 and drain the next shot. If I remember correctly, he said the kid guarding him looked at his coach like am I supposed to guard him out there? I believe thr kid got pulled and they may have started picking him up at half court.

I really wish I'd traveled with him as I would do from time to time if I wasn't working. Would have loved to have seen that.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by jdmee View Post
                  I think the talk of IB being like Cohen is a little overblown. Cohen never had a winning record nevermind a 25-10 record. Cohen never had a winning conference record nevermind a conference championship.

Are there things that I wish were different, yes. Is he the best coach ever? No. Do I wish there was a little more fire on the sideline, sure. But come on we act as if he was 10-25 and not 25-10.
                  Agreed but there is a vast area between Cohen and 3G, the lower 3/4ths of which we do not want to be in, that the recent trajectory could reach if not stemmed. We learned through many coaches: Harry Miller at the end, Cohen, Thompson, when you lack an offensive scheme so that you either end up with a dribble-to-get-open offense, or a stand still offense, or a 35 ft. perimeter passing outfit, you will never be successful and will always frustrate fans and fail your own players. It’s called a SYSTEM.

Comment

To say nothing about the complete out of control off the court felonious activities of several members of that team. Total embarrassment.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

To say nothing about the complete out of control off the court felonious activities of several members of that team. Total embarrassment.
                      Glad I'm not a jayhawk fan.
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I've completely wiped that from my memory. Remind me, what went down?

Comment

But Cohen did have the trifecta! Does anyone remember those 3 wins that were the highlight of his career?

Comment

Originally posted by Topshock View Post

But Cohen did have the trifecta! Does anyone remember those 3 wins that were the highlight of his career?
                            Pokes and Tide for sure. 3rd team is escaping me.

Didn't he have some sideline ailment like crutches or neck brace or something?

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Pokes and Tide for sure. 3rd team is escaping me.

Didn't he have some sideline ailment like crutches or neck brace or something?
                              I forgot the injury, lol. I looked it up and it was Delaware State. I think they were pretty good that year. We ended the season losing 8 of 10 games and the "90's" were off and running.

Comment

I seem to recall somehow beating Notre Dame during the dark ages of the 90s

Comment

Working...
                                X