The Annual HCIB WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for those at the games.

Has anyone ever seen IB go after a ref when the calls seemed to be different on different ends of the court?

There are some very successful "player's coaches". Lon Kruger is one that comes to mind, but Kruger at least had some emotion on the sidelines - and some enthusiasm. IB seems to be an observer instead of a leader during games. IB's in-game involvement seems to be at the level of Ricky Council's involvement on defense.

I don't think Kennedy is the guy to tutor IB into the role of a HC.

IB also needs to use some imagination and come up with a different way of running the offense. Marshall's offense works like a well-oiled machine when there's a PG who can get to the rim and stroke jumpers (Ragland, Hannah, Armstead, VanVleet - even Baker to some degree). It also needs an effective screener. The current roster has neither. Defenses don't even cover the corner 3 guys. They will let Porter shoot any time, any place. Council has no clue how to play D, and doesn't seem to be learning.

IB inherited a team that can't run the offense he inherited and doesn't seem to be able to find any other options on offense. Using TE as a decoy worked for one game, and probably pissed TE off.

I think we'll come out of this mess better than we came out of firing Gene Smithson, but not by much. I'm afraid we're going to have 3 or 4 years of IB doing his best Mike Cohen impersonation.

Comment

IB sitting on his hands when Porter went down and letting the game carry on for 2 possessions told me all I needed to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        IB sitting on his hands when Porter went down and letting the game carry on for 2 possessions told me all I needed to know.
        I am still baffled by that whole thing. I don't get it at all. That was bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

IB inherited a team that can't run the offense he inherited and doesn't seem to be able to find any other options on offense.
          Umm, he had a big part in recruiting those kids he "inherited"...

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Just speculation. I was surprised to see Coach Kennedy back for this season. I would be even more surprised if he returned next season (super nice guy, hope he stays).
            I've wondered about this as well. I am wondering how Kennedy is doing health wise and how much he has been able to assist with things. Doesn't seem as active on the bench this season.

Comment

Has anyone ever seen IB go after a ref when the calls seemed to be different on different ends of the court?

There are some very successful "player's coaches". Lon Kruger is one that comes to mind, but Kruger at least had some emotion on the sidelines - and some enthusiasm. IB seems to be an observer instead of a leader during games. IB's in-game involvement seems to be at the level of Ricky Council's involvement on defense.

IB also needs to use some imagination and come up with a different way of running the offense. Marshall's offense works like a well-oiled machine when there's a PG who can get to the rim and stroke jumpers (Ragland, Hannah, Armstead, VanVleet - even Baker to some degree). It also needs an effective screener. The current roster has neither. Defenses don't even cover the corner 3 guys. They will let Porter shoot any time, any place. Council has no clue how to play D, and doesn't seem to be learning.

IB inherited a team that can't run the offense he inherited and doesn't seem to be able to find any other options on offense. Using TE as a decoy worked for one game, and probably pissed TE off.

I think we'll come out of this mess better than we came out of firing Gene Smithson, but not by much. I'm afraid we're going to have 3 or 4 years of IB doing his best Mike Cohen impersonation.
              Yes, he'd probably be a great coach if we had 4* and 5* players.

Comment

He did and got T'ed up immediately. Haven't seen him go after them since.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  IB tried to call a time out .. the refs ignored him and then at that point the ball was turned over.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Umm, he had a big part in recruiting those kids he "inherited"...
                    Then I guess Marshall gets no credit for recruiting VanVleet or Baker since Dana Ford recruited VanVleet and Heiar found Baker.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

IB tried to call a time out .. the refs ignored him and then at that point the ball was turned over.
                      That may be true. I was at the game and watched him the whole time after CP went down. But he was catatonic after the play was finally stopped. How bout ripping the zebras a little? Just show something? Anything. I just don't get it.

Comment

Then I guess Marshall gets no credit for recruiting VanVleet or Baker since Dana Ford recruited VanVleet and Heiar found Baker.
                        Not that it matters, but I recall Jans finding Baker.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Jans heard all about Ron but didn’t pay much attention. He finally relented and watched him at state semis. Saw no other D1 coaches in the building. Told 3G that he had to go watch him play. 3G: “Evan and Perry are playing in state final…and you want me to go watch some kid from Scott City?”

Chris went to Heights game while Gregg went to Hutch to watch Scott City, praying that Ron would play well enough to not make Chris look like an idiot. Then Gregg texted: “We have to get this kid in our program.“ And that was before Ron hit a buzzer beater to win state.

The rest, as they say, is history.
                          78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I think Jans found Ron and Heiar found Rob. Let's keep the facts straight here buddy boy!

Comment

God I miss Rob Barker and Fred Van Feet

Comment

Could we bring HC3GM back if I commit to being the punching dummy!? Seriously, I'll sit there and take the wrath for the players so they don't have to.

Kick me in the nuts and call me Sally, Coach!! Whatever. Just come back!!!!
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X