Wichita State at Oklahoma State Game Thread 12-1-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
    maybe they were missing free throws at the end because they were getting tired from pressing.
    I think the guys played hard on the defensive end although not so much in the press. But certainly in the half court whether playing zone or man.

The 3 guys who went 2-5 from the line at the end of the game had been in the game for a good amount of time prior to that final minute.

Craig Porter played the final 9:00 minutes without a break. Dexter Dennis played the final 13:30 without a break and played a total of 17 minutes in the half. Ricky played the final 16:20 of the 2nd half. So they they may have well had tired legs, especially Dexter and Ricky.

Comment

• I thought we played 2 different zones but perhaps not

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I actually feel like Qua is better than many people, even though he has headscratching turnovers at times. I think we'll be VERY happy with him in February and beyond.

It would be nice to get CJ some minutes this month. There should be ample opportunity to do just that.
        Thank you for pushing back on the Qua narrative that is popping up. It reminds me of earlier in the year when it was flipped and Qua HAD to play over Porter. I vividly remember complaints about him getting stripped for layups in the exhibition. Both were overreactions.

There are ups and downs for each player throughout the season. This is something I wish more people would understand. It’s not possible to play an A+ every game of the year.

I won’t argue that Qua is in a little bit of a valley right now but defense is still really good and I don’t feel like he’s forcing things too much on offense. Six shots isn’t that many for a guy who is probably used to putting up no fewer than 10 a game.

I think you’re right, as the season goes on Qua will play a big role in the teams success.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
          I thought we played 2 different zones but perhaps not
          That half-court zone the Shocks play is a bit a an amoeba zone that changes shape depending on what the offense is doing. Plus if OSU got an offensive rebound or had an in bounds play on their baseline which happened a few times the Shocks would switch back to man.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

The Shockers went to a zone for the first time in the 2nd half with about 9:00 minutes remaining in the game. It appears they were in a somewhat soft 3/4 court zone press falling back into their 1-3-1 matchup zone in the half court after made Shocker baskets. Fortunately, that was about the time the Shocks started to make some baskets. I counted 7 (maybe 8) possessions when they went to this between the 9:00 minute mark and the 2:00 minute mark of the half. If there was a stoppage of play resulting in an OSU in bounds play or and OSU offensive rebound the Shocks would switch back to man.

During this time the Shocks only gave up one 3 pointer while in the zone. That was the Cowboys only field goal in the final 9:49 of the game as the Shocks held them to 6 points from that point on.

The Shock may have been tired from playing hard on defense but i would not attribute that to pressing as the press was more of a make them use some of the shot clock press. But the Shocks played hard defense in the half-court regardless of whether they were in a zone or man. I thought there help defense when they were in a man was pretty good.
            Thanks for checking and providing the information - much appreciated!
            Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

Thanks for checking and providing the information - much appreciated!
              I was kind of curious about that myself as I really didn't focus on that too much on the live stream.

Comment

• [QUOTE=TheShocktocles;n1320787]

It's not just Weber. It's most of the Northeast part of the state of Kansas. The fans up here are just terrible to live around.. Last week during the holidays I was told that Mark Turegon put WSU basketball on the map. Yikes!!! I didn't even respond to that craziness. I can't tell you how many times I have heard cat fans say we don't play anybody and that our league is weak.

I have KSU football tickets and heard all the crap about what a weak basketball conference the Shockers play in. When the conference realignment was announced, the same dufus said, "What a tough conference the Big XII is going to be in basketball!" I called him out and he said, well we're getting all of the best teams. I pointed out they weren't getting the current conference champions. Oh and I heard today the Shockers are 11-6 against the Big XII in the last several years......Drub the 'Cats.
                Robin Roberts: "My mother used to say, when you strut, you stumble."

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Thank you for pushing back on the Qua narrative that is popping up. It reminds me of earlier in the year when it was flipped and Qua HAD to play over Porter. I vividly remember complaints about him getting stripped for layups in the exhibition. Both were overreactions.

There are ups and downs for each player throughout the season. This is something I wish more people would understand. It’s not possible to play an A+ every game of the year.

I won’t argue that Qua is in a little bit of a valley right now but defense is still really good and I don’t feel like he’s forcing things too much on offense. Six shots isn’t that many for a guy who is probably used to putting up no fewer than 10 a game.

I think you’re right, as the season goes on Qua will play a big role in the teams success.
                  I think Qua might be our only player that can get to the rim whenever he wants. Sometimes he makes some bad decisions when he gets there, but he's in a transition period right now.

Comment

I actually feel like Qua is better than many people, even though he has headscratching turnovers at times. I think we'll be VERY happy with him in February and beyond.

It would be nice to get CJ some minutes this month. There should be ample opportunity to do just that.
                    I'm kind of a regular outlier on these sujects...I LOVE this kid...he will continue to grow and improve!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I think the guys played hard on the defensive end although not so much in the press.

I would guess and I totally believe that the "press" was almost exclusively designed to slow up OSU and limit the options they had once they got into their half court sets.

They were not a team you wanted to allow odd rushes and lob dunks (they missed a huge one actually in the half court late that was a killer and Cisse should have finished it) because that's what they are fully capable of doing.

Comment

I'm not hating on Qua. Just saying you could take five of his minutes and five of Ty's or so and get Chaunce close to ten a game and it wouldn't hurt the team. Qua has a better skillset than I'd anticipated but he also has to learn, which I'm sure he will, what he can and can't do against D1 teams. But again, Qua playing 15 and Ty only playing 27 or so a game isn't bad and could get Chaunce 8-10 per game and I think we'd be better for it in the long run.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I'm not hating on Qua. Just saying you could take five of his minutes and five of Ty's or so and get Chaunce close to ten a game and it wouldn't hurt the team. Qua has a better skillset than I'd anticipated but he also has to learn, which I'm sure he will, what he can and can't do against D1 teams. But again, Qua playing 15 and Ty only playing 27 or so a game isn't bad and could get Chaunce 8-10 per game and I think we'd be better for it in the long run.
                          I know this is kind of a cop out thing to say but don’t you think if Chaunce playing more minutes would help the team win games the coaching staff, who see him every day in practice, would give him more minutes?

I do want to see more of Chaunce. He showed some nice things in his limited minutes. I trust that the coaching staff wants to win first and foremost, especially in these big non-con games, and that they know which guys give us the best chance to do so.

Hopefully Chaunce’s chaunce is coming in this next string of games leading up to conference play.
                          Last edited by pie n eye; December 2, 2021, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I know this is kind of a cop out thing to say but don’t you think if Chaunce playing more minutes would help the team win games the coaching staff, who see him every day in practice, would give him more minutes?

I do want to see more of Chaunce. He showed some nice things in his limited minutes. I trust that the coaching staff wants to win first and foremost, especially in these big non-con games, and that they know which guys give us the best chance to do so.

Hopefully Chaune’s chaunce is coming in this next string of games leading up to conference play.
                            I get that, but it's also not completely uncommon for coaches to forget they have a bench. Sometimes they simply don't value what certain players bring to the table. We saw that with 3G even at times.

Chaunce is also one of the few guys on the team that can get inside a defense and create, as well as being one of, if not the, best athletes on the roster. It's not like I'm asking for him to get 20 a game. Plus the kid seems to be able to play some D.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Comment

• If Chaunce is going to get a chance, its the 3 games after KState

Comment

Working...
                                X