Wichita State Shockers vs. UNLV Game Thread 11-21-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little more upon reflection:

Hopefully I'm not the last one (I'm sure I'm ONE of the last ones though) to find the radio replays on Podcast. You really should listen to Tyson's interview after the game....the young man is an absolute JOY to listen to every single time he opens his mouth.

We've GOT to handle the ball better. We're just a terrible ball handling (dribbling) team and that's not going to hold up all season.

The small lineup is going to be a nightmare for most teams we play, especially defensively. When we want to heat up folks, they're gettin' heated up.

There was no foul on the UNLV guy at the end, but I understand their frustration at that point. Their assistant however needs a game or 2 off the bench as a reflection period. You CANNOT chase an official off the floor, and definitely not as an assistant. Really bad form.

One "play" that really bothered me was the last one. After Tyson made his 2nd FT for the lead, UNLV took the ball out and were able to get the ball to half court on the inbounds pass. We have to be better prepared, especially after a free throw. Not even sure we should have had anyone on the line after Tyson made his 1st. If he misses, it's still tied, and they have zero time outs. Half court prayer is about as good as it's going to get if you defend at all. That was a troubling sequence, given the timing and circumstances.

The reason for the slip at the end, and frankly all the slipping that occurred during the Event had to be due to the ice under the floor, didn't it? Guys were slipping on the floor from the first minute of the first game, right up to the last play of the last game. Can't be coincidental.

KP is really good and just going to get better and better with time and strength development.

I'd like to see an honest list of non-con games where WSU has been pushed in a game (or even lost) by a team that we didn't expect a lot from, and how they performed the rest of the season. In other words, all the UNLVs over the last 20 seasons that looked substantially better than expected against the Shocks, then ended up laying turds the rest of the year (has there been a team that DIDN'T follow that scenario?....VCU, whom we already knew was damned good just not Final 4 good.....)

RCIV seems to be the first person down the court more often than not, and by that I mean he's a cherry picker. I wonder if this is by design or not. I don't have a problem with it, necessarily, but if you're doing that on purpose, probably need to finish a higher % of breaks.

No Shocker event is complete without an Eddie Plopa sighting. Bring it back Eddie.....bring it back.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      One "play" that really bothered me was the last one. After Tyson made his 2nd FT for the lead, UNLV took the ball out and were able to get the ball to half court on the inbounds pass. We have to be better prepared, especially after a free throw. Not even sure we should have had anyone on the line after Tyson made his 1st. If he misses, it's still tied, and they have zero time outs. Half court prayer is about as good as it's going to get if you defend at all. That was a troubling sequence, given the timing and circumstances.
      I knew there was something I was forgetting. Inexcusable to allow them such an easy pass half the length of the floor.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Since we are discussing GM and IB, one thing I noticed this weekend in FLV was (what I feel) the growth of IB as the HC of the WSU program:

- He was calling TOs when things wern't going right
        - He was visibly frustrated and agitated with his players when he felt effort and execution was off
        - He was getting into it with the refs
        - He took control of the situation at the end of the UNLV game

IMO, it was beautiful to see.

Perhaps, after a full season into the HC gig, he is feeling more comfortable in the role and being able to express himself not just the "players guy". Hopefully he continues to breakout of his shell. Next season, we might not be able to recognize him from year one.
        The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
          Since we are discussing GM and IB, one thing I noticed this weekend in FLV was (what I feel) the growth of IB as the HC of the WSU program:

- He was calling TOs when things wern't going right
          - He was visibly frustrated and agitated with his players when he felt effort and execution was off
          - He was getting into it with the refs
          - He took control of the situation at the end of the UNLV game

IMO, it was beautiful to see.

Perhaps, after a full season into the HC gig, he is feeling more comfortable in the role and being able to express himself not just the "players guy". Hopefully he continues to breakout of his shell. Next season, we might not be able to recognize him from year one.
          I do have disagreements with IB, but this is definitely correct. He's becoming more confident and assertive as head coach, which was not needed in his prior role.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
            Jesus H Christ himself couldn’t live up to the pristine, mistake free college careers of “Ron, Fred, etc” from some people’s memories.
            Are you defending Ricky's decision making on a 3 on 1? That's certainly not his only bad decision but it is the most egregious and that is why I brought it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

I do have disagreements with IB, but this is definitely correct. He's becoming more confident and assertive as head coach, which was not needed in his prior role.
              Agreed.

Still need to see how he recruits and some other aspects, but this past weekend defiantly raised his stock.

I was (and still am a bit) hesitant giving the keys of the kingdom not only to someone with no HC experience, but someone who wasn't groomed for the job ("HC-in-waiting"). He's continuing to prove himself at every step.

I am rooting for him, because I've always enjoyed him as a person.
              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Are you defending Ricky's decision making on a 3 on 1? That's certainly not his only bad decision but it is the most egregious and that is why I brought it up.
                My biggest gripe with RC4 is his defensive play (or lack there of). He's young, so he still has plenty of time to learn and improve.

Side Note: If the could somehow figure out a way to give RC4 some of DD defensive effort/ability and, at the same time, give DD some of RC4 ability to split the lane and drive to the basket, they'd have two more all-conference players
                The Assman

Comment

No, I am taking issue with the idea that Fred, Ron, etc would have never missed that. I mean come on. It’s possible to say it was a bad play without bringing up those guys who, by the way, made plenty of mistakes during their tenure.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                    Jesus H Christ himself couldn’t live up to the pristine, mistake free college careers of “Ron, Fred, etc” from some people’s memories.
                    In everyone's defense, he had shaky handles and a questionable jumper.

Comment

• Finally was able to watch a replay of the UNLV game. I thought the Shocks played better than I thought I would see based on the reading the board. Although I totally understand where most of the negative comments come from.

I thought the Shocks ball movement and organization on offense was the best this year so far. Clearly, out bodies are outrunning our brains on our fast break opportunities but hopefully they will get that worked out.

While he did not have a big stat line I thought Craig Porter had a very good floor game and did good job running the show. Qua Grant not so much. Qua struggled in this one.

Really liked what I saw from Kenny Pohto this weekend. Hopefully, now that the lid is off the basket for him we will get more consistently see him stretch the floor. He certainly needs to get stronger and I am not sure if he ever will be real explosive but he actually plays pretty good defense and clearly has a pretty good feel for the game. Would love to see him develop a hook shot to use in the lane.

Mo is Mo. WYSIWYG. I think if Mo made it a priority he could probably lead this team in assists. Her certainly has a lot of opportunities for kick outs that go by the wayside.

Dexter was a non-entity on offense but his defense means he is staying on the floor a lot.

Joe continues to fly under the radar. Maybe he won't hurt the team much but he may not help a lot either. Only played 10 minutes.

RCIV giveth and RCIV taketh away. Had is good moments and pretty much offset them all with not so good moments. But the talent is their if he can figure out how to harness that talent and use it to its greatest effect.

Monzy only played 12 minutes. I think he deserves more. Small sample size but Monzy leads the Shocks in 3 point % at 57.1% on 4-7 and is 4-4 from the line and how di you measure the effort he gives. I think Monzy also leads the Shocks in rates of assists at 4.5 per 40 minutes and in assists to turnover ration at 2.33. Granted all these numbers are based on small sample sizes. Looks like he also 2nd on the team in the rate of rebounds at 9.0 per 40 minutes behind Mo's 11.2 per 40 minutes.

Tyson. Not good in the 1st half. Very good in the 2nd half. I had 4 of his 17 shots as poor shots. Mostly in the 1st half. One of those he had a wide open look, passed on it, and then took a couple of dribbles allowing a strong contest by the defender on a mid-range shot.

Two plays late in the game that really hurt. Tyson's failure to block out leading to the go ahead put back by UNLV with 6 seconds t play and then allowing he inbounds pass to a wide open player at half court as the clock wound down. Getting the call on the UNLV player forcing Tyson out of bounds on the sideline was a stroke of good fortune. I think it was the right call but you don't always get that call in that situation. Then the UNLV play who took the inbounds pass after the go ahead free throw by Tyson slipping on the left wing prevented UNLV from getting a final shot to win the game.

We need to continue to play fast but we also need to not be in a hurry and play under control. If that is how we are going run fast breaks I think would just soon the guys pull up for a 3-pointer on those. We would not have to make very many to improve our fast break efficiency.

I think we have the talent to be a decent team although the addition of Mr. Tre King would be a big help. However, you do have to like the grit of this team. They aren't easily discouraged.

I acknowledge I am late to the party and this is kind of a redundant post since most of this has already been covered in this thread.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 23, 2021, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• I still say that this 3-1 was an easy 2 points, and Ricky showed his usual tunnel vision and drew a charge call. He thinks he should be the catalyst on many plays, and it hurts his play. Hopefully, RC’s light goes on, and he sees the big picture. However, right now, he doesn’t see it. He wants to be the main man too much, and it hurts the team. I don’t think he wants to be selfish, but his wanting to be, and seeing himself as a Lebron James figure, results in bad, and ultimately selfish decisions.

Comment

I still say that this 3-1 was an easy 2 points, and Ricky showed his usual tunnel vision and drew a charge call. He thinks he should be the catalyst on many plays, and it hurts his play. Hopefully, RC’s light goes on, and he sees the big picture. However, right now, he doesn’t see it. He wants to be the main man too much, and it hurts the team. I don’t think he wants to be selfish, but his wanting to be, and seeing himself as a Lebron James figure, results in bad, and ultimately selfish decisions.
                          LeBron James knows what to do with the ball in transition,
                          I guarantee you that.

If Ricky played like LeBron nobody would complain about his selfishness on the court because LeBron has elite court vision, BBIQ and is a phenomenal and willing passer.

Comment

• You’re not listening. Ricky wants to be a Lebron, and sees himself as a Lebron. Ricky is NO Lebron. He needs to change that and see the reality. Then he will be better off.

i don't. think he’s selfish but he doesn’t see the way things are.

Comment

• I think one of the problems is that this is stuff these younger players could get away with in high school and no defense AAU ball. Now they have to understand that adjustments are in order and the level of athlete and athleticism they are up against now requires some finesse and refined skill in addition to athleticism. Hopefully, that will come sooner than later. But we will see.

Comment

• My knock on RC4 isn't offense it is defense. As far as being selfish he isn't that
                                much different than a couple others. Thus far offensively compared to TE he is
                                shooting .476 to TE's .338 and from deep .375 to TE's .333 and he is more
                                valuable on the boards. Neither playing great D. The whole team needs to move
                                without the ball better, see their teammates/floor better, and find them with good
                                passes for high % shots. Our assists per game is pretty poor.

Comment

Working...
                                X