Wichita State Shockers vs. UNLV Game Thread 11-21-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I don't think you are saying this, but when 3 on 1 with a 4th trailing Shocker, even if the better play would have been a lob (although how many lob dunk passes have we seen screwed up by the Shockers this year), dunk to RC, there is no way they should have not executed 2 points. LIke I said earlier, all he had to do is return the pass to Grant, and it is a two point layup.

In my high school years, we didn't have anyone who could dunk the ball on our fast breaks (certainly not a lob dunk), and we still executed the 3 on 1 drills in practice, and usually in games.
    Yes, he could have returned the pass to Grant. He never should have needed too, though. As the superior ball handler in this situation Grant should’ve kept it until he either finished with a layup or dished to C4 (great nickname by the way SubGod).

If you’re passing more than once on a 2 on 1 break, which this essentially was, you aren’t doing it right.

I know the coaching staff and players have forgotten more about this stuff than I’ll ever know so I have complete faith they’ll get it ironed out sooner than later. Next time it happens it’ll be 2 for the shockers.

Comment

I don't think you are saying this, but when 3 on 1 with a 4th trailing Shocker, even if the better play would have been a lob (although how many lob dunk passes have we seen screwed up by the Shockers this year), dunk to RC, there is no way they should have not executed 2 points. LIke I said earlier, all he had to do is return the pass to Grant, and it is a two point layup.

In my high school years, we didn't have anyone who could dunk the ball on our fast breaks (certainly not a lob dunk), and we still executed the 3 on 1 drills in practice, and usually in games.
      I have a hard time with any guard that can't throw up a decent lob, especially from close range as this one would have been.

I was lucky enough to play in HS with some long and rangy athletes and there was plenty of dunking going on in practice and games. One of the guys even shattered a backboard during a gym class once.

Throwing a lob from half court or even the 3pt line is one thing, but Qua would have been tossing one up from inside/near the lane and there's really no reason to botch that, especially for a PG. And those things should be done in practice as well. I hate to bring up KU or Roy Williams, but I remember hearing that his KU teams would practice those in practice so they were easier to execute in games and those teams threw a lot of alley-oops. And if you're a team that wants to get out and run, it should be something those that handle the ball most can execute.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Yes, he could have returned the pass to Grant. He never should have needed too, though. As the superior ball handler in this situation Grant should’ve kept it until he either finished with a layup or dished to C4 (great nickname by the way SubGod).

If you’re passing more than once on a 2 on 1 break, which this essentially was, you aren’t doing it right.

I know the coaching staff and players have forgotten more about this stuff than I’ll ever know so I have complete faith they’ll get it ironed out sooner than later. Next time it happens it’ll be 2 for the shockers.
        Nah. Bull. There are no rules on passing twice. Good defenders make you do what you'd rather not do. McCabe was a good defender. Good players improvise all the time. Probably not a majority of the time, but two passes happen often..

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          I was lucky enough to play in HS with some long and rangy athletes and there was plenty of dunking going on in practice and games. One of the guys even shattered a backboard during a gym class once.
          I had completely forgotten you played with those guys

Comment

I have a hard time with any guard that can't throw up a decent lob, especially from close range as this one would have been.

Throwing a lob from half court or even the 3pt line is one thing, but Qua would have been tossing one up from inside/near the lane and there's really no reason to botch that, especially for a PG. And those things should be done in practice as well. I hate to bring up KU or Roy Williams, but I remember hearing that his KU teams would practice those in practice so they were easier to execute in games and those teams threw a lot of alley-oops. And if you're a team that wants to get out and run, it should be something those that handle the ball most can execute.
            Well, if you blame it on Qua, you wouldn't be a good coach. RC can dunk it easily on a lob pass, but not everyone can so a lob pass won't always work.(Pleasant, and probably Qua) I'm sure they brought it up, during film, but it still was an easy 2 points. We had some high All American's who couldn't dunk it on a fast break either.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

I had completely forgotten you played with those guys
              Those guys were a lot of fun to play with and even just to watch. Our starting PG was 6'1" and went on to play football at BCC. Our SG was 6'6" and our best all around player on both ends. Played D1 and spent some time in Europe. Our SF was 6'7" and a fantastic athlete. Went on to play baseball somewhere but had basketball offers. Our PF was 6'5" and Eddie Sutton said if he were two inches taller he would have taken him out of HS. Still tried to get him to transfer after a couple of years at Washburn. He played in Europe for a bit. Our starting C was 6'4" and played at Cowley. Everyone of those guys could dunk at any given time, the two wings were the most explosive.

A few of the guys on the bench went on to play basketball and/or football. This is bringing back memories. Those were good times up until I had health problems.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Question for anyone that can help. Trying to bring up the replay of the UNLV game on my computer, every time I do the "play" arrow appears then disappears (whether I before it vanishes or not) and I cannot get the game to play. This seems to be the case with all replays as I've tried a half dozen random other replays.

I've watched replays dozens of times prior with no issue, and just curious if anyone else has run into this and has a fix. I've tried clearing cache, restarting, logging out and back in, Chrome and Edge.....nothing seems to change the outcome (so far).

Comment

Those guys were a lot of fun to play with and even just to watch. Our starting PG was 6'1" and went on to play football at BCC. Our SG was 6'6" and our best all around player on both ends. Played D1 and spent some time in Europe. Our SF was 6'7" and a fantastic athlete. Went on to play baseball somewhere but had basketball offers. Our PF was 6'5" and Eddie Sutton said if he were two inches taller he would have taken him out of HS. Still tried to get him to transfer after a couple of years at Washburn. He played in Europe for a bit. Our starting C was 6'4" and played at Cowley. Everyone of those guys could dunk at any given time, the two wings were the most explosive.

A few of the guys on the bench went on to play basketball and/or football. This is bringing back memories. Those were good times up until I had health problems.
                  aaaaaaaaa, we shoulda beat ur azz..........well, maybe not. Then y'all lost in the finals to Sumner?

Comment

Nah. Bull. There are no rules on passing twice. Good defenders make you do what you'd rather not do. McCabe was a good defender. Good players improvise all the time. Probably not a majority of the time, but two passes happen often..
                    I wouldn’t really call it a “rule” more just a best practice.

A defender should rarely, if ever, dictate the offense in a 2 on 1 fast break no matter how good they are. They’re at a disadvantage and, if ran correctly, should be forced to make a decision that will result in an easy bucket for the offense.

In the play we’re discussing the defender in no way forced Qua Grant to pass the ball when he did. It was a mistake by the offense.

Could Ricky have saved the opportunity by giving it back to Qua? Most definitely. But his job in that situation is to catch and finish. It’s Qua’s job to read the defense and make the right decision which he did not do in this particular instance.
                    Last edited by pie n eye; November 24, 2021, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      I've watched replays dozens of times prior with no issue, and just curious if anyone else has run into this and has a fix. I've tried clearing cache, restarting, logging out and back in, Chrome and Edge.....nothing seems to change the outcome (so far).
                      Is Cox your TV provider?

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        Question for anyone that can help. Trying to bring up the replay of the UNLV game on my computer, every time I do the "play" arrow appears then disappears (whether I before it vanishes or not) and I cannot get the game to play. This seems to be the case with all replays as I've tried a half dozen random other replays.

ESPN’s online experience is trash.

In my experience when something like that happens on the app it’s because my cable provider log in has expired. Is there an option on the website somewhere to select your provider?

If not, you might try logging in to your provider’s website then going to ESPN. If that doesn’t work

I hate ESPN.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

aaaaaaaaa, we shoulda beat ur azz..........well, maybe not. Then y'all lost in the finals to Sumner?
                          Yes we did. We were supposed to hold for the last shot but one guy tried to be a hero, got fouled, missed a FT and then stood there while his man hit a layup at the buzzer to beat us. That Sumner team had at least 2 D1 players as well. Jeff Hawkins who went to KU and Kellen Block who I believe ended up at Indiana State. That one still hurts. Sumner went on to win State and we took 3rd by doubling up our next opponent. I want to say our 3rd place final was 84-42 and we essentially didn't try to score most of the 4th quarter unless it was one of the little used seniors. We took our frustrations out on those poor saps. Could have easily put up 100 had we wanted to.

Though your guys always gave us trouble. Were always a tough ass physical team. I believe out PG broke his nose at your place that year.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

In my experience when something like that happens on the app it’s because my cable provider log in has expired. Is there an option on the website somewhere to select your provider?

If not, you might try logging in to your provider’s website then going to ESPN. If that doesn’t work

I hate ESPN.
                            This is exactly where I was headed. Try logging in/out of our provider's service, then log in/out of ESPN.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Yes we did. We were supposed to hold for the last shot but one guy tried to be a hero, got fouled, missed a FT and then stood there while his man hit a layup at the buzzer to beat us. That Sumner team had at least 2 D1 players as well. Jeff Hawkins who went to KU and Kellen Block who I believe ended up at Indiana State. That one still hurts. Sumner went on to win State and we took 3rd by doubling up our next opponent. I want to say our 3rd place final was 84-42 and we essentially didn't try to score most of the 4th quarter unless it was one of the little used seniors. We took our frustrations out on those poor saps. Could have easily put up 100 had we wanted to.

Though your guys always gave us trouble. Were always a tough ass physical team. I believe out PG broke his nose at your place that year.
                              last one, I promise.......we destroyed you in football at your place that year. I recall our fullback (ahem) going around left end and taking it 65 yards to the house sans one shoe

Comment

I hate ESPN.
                                I'm going to give that all a try. As a side note, until this experience, the connection between my cable provide (ATT Uverse) and ESPN would never work. ESPN simply wouldn't recognize my ATT log in, ever. Requests to both entities to address fell on deaf ears. Now with the latest issue, when asked by the ESPN site to identify my provider, it gave me a response that it recognized I was on my home connection and didn't need to actually log in the ATT account. I'm guessing the issue I thought they fixed just morphed into a new issue.

Thanks for the feedback though guys, I'll let you know if anything worked.

Comment

Working...
                                X