Wichita State vs. JSU Game Thread 11-9-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
    The other thing I was thinking this morning: Are there some that still think we’re going to be worse on the front line this year than last? I seem to remember that being floated a lot in the preseason.

I disagree.
    Pohto is a HUGE positive surprise ...

Comment

• I thought the crowd cheering when Mo came out and Pohto went in was telling.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
        I thought the crowd cheering when Mo came out and Pohto went in was telling.
        Will be even more interesting if we get Tre King. Mo might see his minutes drastically diminished.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• If the entire conversation all year trends towards who is the better coach, IB loses every time. All I care about is how IB stacks up against opponents and his peers. He did a wonderful job last year considering the mess he was thrown into. He is now hired as our head coach, which means he wanted the job, so the gloves are off and criticism is fair game.

Doc and Kel are right, dribble drives and motion are the way kids get brought up now days, and frankly, it is probably hard to recruit to a place where old school X’s and O’s are the norm. Back to the basket low post players are a rare as a good Coldblooded post. The pick and pop has become the most complicated play ran.

Getting players who can breakdown other teams and then a few hardnosed garbage players inside who can rebound, catch the ball and dunk it when their man helps out, and play defense is what it takes to win games these days.

Bottom line is, I think we have the guys who can breakdown teams (I really do) but we need to understand what matchups dictate who does that. Constantly finding the weakness and exploiting it was not done well last night. That is where IB and his staff will need to earn their money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Will be even more interesting if we get Tre King. Mo might see his minutes drastically diminished.
            I didn't like it yesterday when IB was talking game planning, and Kenny Pohto being sick, so they had discussed ways to keep Mo out of foul trouble in their revised game plan. Mo isn't a shot blocker who can back off of players, and give them room. He needs to be able to be aggressive, and risk fouls to be effective in my opinion. I don't like Kenny P. being concerned about being aggressive either. He is still developing and lacks some upper body strength as a young Freshman. Tre King would help us a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
              One other note to complain about production ... how do you mess up a freaking banner drop?
              We had to laugh when that happened. Figured a play in game is only worth hanging one side of the banner.
              I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post

While we're at it can we get Gordon Hayward on our team to shoot it.
                He missed!

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock View Post

Fred also took a guarded fade away 3 (and missed) at the end of the Kentucky game a few years ago. IIRC Cle was standing wide open calling for the ball.

It was obvious what TE was going to - had he missed - we were headed to overtime with the momentum. If we were down by 1 - I would like to think he would have drove and tried to score and or gotten fouled.

I'll take the win.
                  Cle did not run the play and was freelancing! By the time he was “open”, Fred had to commit to the shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

He missed!
                    He did! I'd still like him on our team. Most people would miss a half court heave with no time left on the clock.
                    I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

You're the one who brought him up genius. Defending IB by referencing Fogler? You're full of ****.

I elucidated my point clearly, I must say. End of discussion.
                      May I suggest much less coffee. You're still wildly missing my point, but again, that's ok. Enjoy the season!

Comment

He did! I'd still like him on our team. Most people would miss a half court heave with no time left on the clock.
                        Hayward missed the important one before that when he took a weak fade away jumper from the baseline instead of attacking the rim. Not a winning play.

Comment

• I liked the way Etienne made the buzzer beating game winner and then just turned and walked away. No celebrati9on. No flexing.

Lots of complaints out here about the offense. No sets. Not getting the ball into the post, etc. This team does not have a PG. Etienne will be one in the NBA, but that's a different game. Last year Gilbert was a first-year PG. Porter missed so much practice that he didn't have time to learn a complicated offense.

We might have to get used to not seeing identifiable sets and seeing a lot of iso ball. We don't seem to have the personnel to run a complex offense. Grant and Porter are both used to being "the guy" instead of being the facilitator. Losing Sherfield was HUGE. That left a hole that hasn't been filled yet.

Comment

Unless of course they are a contestant in one of the timeout shooting contests at Koch. Seriously, how many of those have gone down in the last few years? It seems unusually frequent. The dude later in the game hit either 3 or 4 threes (and looked decent doing it even though he was wearing some kind of flip flop shoes) and was more than a threat to drill another 1/2 courter.

Comment

• Apparently we've had a mascot change

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X