No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. JSU Game Thread 11-9-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved what I saw from Pohto. But none of us should have been surprised. We were warned how good he is several times leading up to this season.

We looked MUCH better rebounding and against a good rebounding team. I'm encouraged.

It's frustrating to see Udeze complain EVERY TIME to the refs after a missed shot. Just play better, Mo.

We could really use the Georgetown transfer. I don't like that this is going to hinge on an NCAA ruling.

JSU is a good team. They have a good chance of winning their league and going to the tournament. We shouldn't hang our heads for barely beating them the first game of the season.

Anyone claiming HCIB is a softy or a "nice guy" should listen to his post game comments. The first half offense sucked, he laid down the law, and the team responded. The man is in control of his team.
    Last edited by Rocky Mountain Shock; November 10, 2021, 11:30 AM.
    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• For 99.9 percent of college BB players, Tyson's shot was horrible..

For Tyson, it was not.

Evidenced by the fact he did not run all up and down the court waving for fans to encourage his greatness.

When you got it, FLAUNT IT!

But you damn well better make it.

Comment

• Through two games Anton Grady is averaging 1.5 blocked shots.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
          Loved what I saw from Pohto. But none of us should have been surprised. We were warned how good he is several times leading up to this season.

We lucked MUCH better rebounding and against a good rebounding team. I'm encouraged.

It's frustrating to see Udeze complain EVERY TIME to the refs after a missed shot. Just play better, Mo.

We could really use the Georgetown transfer. I don't like that this is going to hinge on an NCAA ruling.

JSU is a good team. They have a good chance of winning their league and going to the tournament. We shouldn't hang our heads for barely beating them the first game of the season.

Anyone claiming HCIB is a softy or a "nice guy" should listen to his post game comments. The first half offense sucked, he laid down the law, and the team responded. The man is in control of his team.
          It's likely because I wasn't able to get tickets last year and I didn't get to see any games in person but HCIB shows much more emotion on the sideline that i expected considering all the comments around him on here. Saw several times where a player made a bonehead play or missed an easy rebound or defensive swap and he throw his hands up in disgust then run down the bench to get a sub in to pull that player. It was very 3G-esque.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Apparently we've had a mascot change
            That is hilarious, and to change the Twitter name is even better.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

That is hilarious, and to change the Twitter name is even better.
              They should have @ Espn and Sportscenter also.

Comment

• Comment

• Last year we didn’t get the benefit of tune up games against South Alabama and Tarleton before playing Missouri and Oklahoma State. I think we’ll see the importance of those type of games this year because I expect the team to look improved next week in Las Vegas.

The offense was admittedly rough for large stretches of the game but it was the first game of the year against a salty, veteran squad. The offense is almost always behind the defense early in the year. Yes, even when Marshall was the coach. It’s still obvious we have the pieces to be a good offensive team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Apparently we've had a mascot change
                    Unbeelieveable…

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

Hayward missed the important one before that when he took a weak fade away jumper from the baseline instead of attacking the rim. Not a winning play.
                      My original point was if we have Brad Stevens drawing up plays I'd like to have Gordon Hayward to execute them. It's cool if you disagree and think Hayward wouldn't be a good addition to our team.
                      I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

May I suggest much less coffee. You're still wildly missing my point, but again, that's ok. Enjoy the season!
                        It's mutual.

NAMSTE (that's for you-know-who)

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                          Yeah, but can he coach like Fogler did back in the day with Smithson's players?

That's the question our more -ahem- 'high brow' posters want to know.

Comment

• NM

Comment

• There was a lot of Craig Porter angst after the exhibition game.

Fast forward one week and he was arguably our best option at point yesterday (although I don’t think Grant was terrible and expect him to play better soon). Zero turnovers, no strips at the top of the key for atomic bombs. He was aggressive off the bounce, attempted 5 shots and led the team in rebounding. He did a little bit of everything by adding a block and a steal.

I do think Grant played better defense in general. There were a couple times Porter let his guy get by him too easily at the end of the shot clock which caused a breakdown that led to either an easy bucket or an offensive rebound.

Point guard is still a work in progress and I think it was perhaps a mistake to start Grant over Porter after one game. I still think Grant gives us a higher ceiling in some ways in the long run but it’s really nice to have Craig around while Grant continues to make the adjustment to D1.

Comment

• I spent a lot of time doing this last year but here I am again.

First off, I’m not breaking any news here but I just want to echo that Kenny Pohto (who I’ve seen compared to Anton Grady) looks incredible and my early hot take is that I wouldn’t be surprised to see him start this year. I don’t think that is likely but it says a lot about how good he’s looked two games into his freshman year.

That being said, I’m here to defend Mo again.

Take away the four turnovers (and the second three ball that might as well have been one) and he actually had a nice game. 5 boards (3 offensive), 3 BLOCKS, 2 steals and 5 points on 50% shooting in only 22 minutes.

Unlike with Porter, I’m not surprised by Mo’s turnovers. It’s just an unfortunate part of his game that he has to continuously work to minimize.

Last night and in the scrimmage I got the impression that he had a bad case of the Look-What-I-Can-Do’s.

What I mean by that is he obviously works very hard on improving his game in the off season and wants to go out and show of all of his shiny new skills all at once. I thought he did the same thing early last year.

Most of his mistakes were well intended. He’s always trying to do the right thing. People wanted to see him pass more last year. He’s trying to do that this year with not great results so far. He just needs to realize (and honestly this applies to the entire team too) passing doesn’t need to be flashy. Just get the ball to the open person on time and in a spot that allows them to make a play.

Once he settles down and picks and chooses his spots to highlight the things he’s worked on he will have better games.
                                Last edited by pie n eye; November 10, 2021, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X