No announcement yet.

MVC HONORS FOR THIS SEASON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering how GE couldn't stop Hall from scoring at will and the fact that Hall isn't a big offensive threat makes me laugh at the choice for DPOY. I've voiced my thoughts on how it should play out elsewhere and GE wasn't even on my Defensive Team. Murry, Smith and Rice would all have been much better options. I'd even give Carmichael the nod before GE.

Not much can be said about the Murry snub. That just goes beyond belief. I'm not sure in what world the voters are living, but it's not this one.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
      I'm sure that there were more total votes cast for Shocker players than for any other team. Rightfully so. The problem with individual honors and balanced teams, the votes get balanced out as well. The guy that got the worst of this scenario was TM. He should have received no less than 2nd team. I fully expect DK to be on the All-Bench and DW to be on the Most Improved. If they do, that would put seven different Shocker players on some sort of All Valley team. Throw in the COY, pretty amazing. I love this team.
      Well, DK did not receive All-Bench, nor did DW receive Most Improved. Rags and Garrett are both on the Most Improved, but the Shox were shut out on the All-Bench.

Comment

• Originally posted by 150946shox View Post
        Well, DK did not receive All-Bench, nor did DW receive Most Improved. Rags and Garrett are both on the Most Improved, but the Shox were shut out on the All-Bench.
        I don't believe Kyles or DW where elgable for All-Bench as they started too many games.

Comment

• Originally posted by 150946shox View Post
          DWill's statistics did not properly show his improvement. I totally understand why he was off the list.

You can only start 1/4th of your teams games to be "All-Bench." Dwill and Hall both started about 1/2. No snubbing on these team's IMO unless you feel that EO or Cotton should have been all the all bench team?
          Livin the dream

Comment

• An interesting take from Paul Suellentrop,s Shocker Newsletter suggesting that the best Shocker defender is not even on the all-defensive team:

Wichita State won the Missouri Valley Conference’s Defensive Team of the Year honor and placed Toure Murry and Ben Smith on the All-Defensive Team.

That sounds like a fair representation for a team that led the MVC in scoring margin (plus-15.5), shooting defense (39.7 percent) and three-point defense (31.2 percent). However, that vote neglects the fact junior guard Demetric Williams just may be WSU’s best individual defender.

Ask Shocker coaches and his teammates how much they respect his defensive abilities. Williams doesn’t rank among the MVC leaders in steals or blocks, but what he does do is stop dribble drives and harass scorers as well as any Shocker. His quickness allows him to fight through screens and keep dribblers out of the lane.

Defense is the hardest category to evaluate. It is easy to overlook Williams, who didn’t start until early in the MVC season. Murry, making his second appearance on the team, is equally worthy. Smith earned his way on the team with two high-profile lockdowns of Creighton’s Doug McDermott and Missouri State’s Kyle Weems.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 29, 2012, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
              Hall as NCOY was even more suprising to me than Toure not on first team. Two guards from Mo St, freshman Tuttle and Tyler Brown at ISU red totally out-statted him. It's almost like the committee stopped and said, "wait a minute, we just gave the offensive and defensive POY to the second best team with the second best offense and 7th best defense. The team with the best bench didn't win 6th man of the year and we left Toure Murry off the second team. Maybe we can give them NCOY...oh and call the Army. See if they have any awards they'd like to sponsor."
              I think that is a valid observation. I was a little surprised that Carl received the NCOY award considering his production trailed off quite bit later in the season. I do think he deserves to be on the All-Newcomer team.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 29, 2012, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• agree about DW being our best defender

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  :) I certainly hope not, @WuDrWu:

I kid Toure because I care.

I dunno who you replace on that list to get TM bumped up to 2nd team. I do see that the Valley probably wanted to spread things out, which is lame, but par for the course.

I certainly hope TM doesn't coming out trying to prove anything. Those are the times when he can be very erratic. He just needs to do what he's been doing.. dishing off the ball, and hitting his mid-range jumpers. He knows it's a team game and with that, there will be greater team rewards going forward.
                  TM did his part but it's clowns like this that you let hammer away at TM without anyone checking him.TM did alot of work for WSU and in the end shockernet let him down.TM deserved more from yall and here again dumass is doing it again.WSU is 26-4,conf champions, are you guys going to check this guy on behalf of TM?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigshotmaker View Post
                    TM did his part but it's clowns like this that you let hammer away at TM without anyone checking him.TM did alot of work for WSU and in the end shockernet let him down.TM deserved more from yall and here again dumass is doing it again.WSU is 26-4,conf champions, are you guys going to check this guy on behalf of TM?
                    I've disagreed with SF on Shockernet before but I don't post on Valleytalk. This is where the damage occurred with all of his negative posts against Shockers. I have a fan next to me at games at Koch Arena who is anti Murry that I disagree with too. Although sometimes Murry makes mistakes, all Shockers do and some people focus their attention on the one player.

Comment

Wtf are you talking about? You need to check your emotions at the login screen. This is a message board with varying opinions. Where the hell did I slam TM? I'm being objective or at least trying to be. You're getting emotionally butthurt with your bias.

I'm getting sick of every perceived slight being tossed around as "anti-Murry" smack. That **** is not true and is causing more problems than solutions. If you don't want to read varying opinions of college basketball and treating everything as a damn insult, then don't plan on signing on here anymore.

Stop creating drama out of nothing.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                        I've disagreed with SF on Shockernet before but I don't post on Valleytalk. This is where the damage occurred with all of his negative posts against Shockers. I have a fan next to me at games at Koch Arena who is anti Murry that I disagree with too. Although sometimes Murry makes mistakes, all Shockers do and some people focus their attention on the one player.
                        Negative towards WSU at Valleytalk? LOL. Yep, you're delusional.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

You have to be related to Toure' to be this emotionally attached everytime he is criticized on here. Much of it was fair, some of it not. But to go off like this says a lot about you. Not that it's a bad thing, but maybe you shouldn't spend too much time on here if you can't handle any of it.

And ShockerNet has been a HUGE supporter of Murry. So check yourself...
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            You have to be related to Toure' to be this emotionally attached everytime he is criticized on here. Much of it was fair, some of it not. But to go off like this says a lot about you. Not that it's a bad thing, but maybe you shouldn't spend too much time on here if you can't handle any of it.

And ShockerNet has been a HUGE supporter of Murry. So check yourself...
                            Thank you Sub. Exactly what I'm thinking. I'm still trying to figure out where I "slammed" TM in my post and was worth being called a "dumass".
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• The best players get the most criticism. It's not because they aren't liked, it's becausethe fans expect more out of them. Look how much flack was given to guys like Stutz, Paul Miller, Randy Burns, JT Durley, etc. etc. etc. It's only after they're gone that we talk about what great players they were.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                                I dunno who you replace on that list to get TM bumped up to 2nd team. I do see that the Valley probably wanted to spread things out, which is lame, but par for the course.
                                I can name four and 1.5 on the first team. The .5 is because I am on the fence on one of them.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X