Clear All

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
    At least some out there are excited.

https://twitter.com/JaredUTSA/status...2lLL2UhOg&s=19
    and about 1,000 people will show up to see these games played

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Couldn't agree more.

Yes, DFW is easier and cheaper for most fans, but NYC and MSG are the Mecca for a reason.

I've long been saying SLU and WSU would be great adds for the BE. If Xavier didn't block Dayton, they'd be perfect as well. Get's the conference to 14 teams.

They could have 7 team divisions:

WSU, CU, SLU, Butler, Marquette, DePaul, Xavier. The West division.

The rest in the East division.

It would be a dream come true.
      "CU, SLU, Butler, Marquette, DePaul, Xavier. The West division."

The idea of that being our basketball schedule every year makes me vomit in my mouth. When I compare it to Cincy, Tulsa, Memphis, SMU, and Houston, I cry.

I just don't like those schools. They're weird and Podunk. Midmajors + a couple dregs from the Big East days...

Xavier?

We really need K|Uck City and OSU to find new homes ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post

Yes, I could see that for the first year but I and many others in Shocker Nation go the conference tournament every year. I just don’t see many going to NYC every year. Just my preference.
        Since you go every year, what did you think of Ft. Worth last year? My opinion, first class venue in a horrible, desolate location. Not sure how you build excitement pregame and post game with the placement of that arena. probably less than 100 WSU fans on hand last year btw.

Been to the Times Square area and would enjoy an excuse for an annual pilgrimage.

Comment

Originally posted by shocktown View Post

Since you go every year, what did you think of Ft. Worth last year? My opinion, first class venue in a horrible, desolate location. Not sure how you build excitement pregame and post game with the placement of that arena. probably less than 100 WSU fans on hand last year btw.

Been to the Times Square area and would enjoy an excuse for an annual pilgrimage.
          Kind of hard to judge it based on last year given pandemic and all.. And it is a great place. Plenty to do around Fort Worth. If you can't find anything then you ain't trying.

And I feel there were more than 100 fans. Regardless we outnumbered everyone as usual.
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

"CU, SLU, Butler, Marquette, DePaul, Xavier. The West division."

The idea of that being our basketball schedule every year makes me vomit in my mouth. When I compare it to Cincy, Tulsa, Memphis, SMU, and Houston, I cry.

I just don't like those schools. They're weird and Podunk. Midmajors + a couple dregs from the Big East days...

Xavier?

We really need K|Uck City and OSU to find new homes ASAP.
            Except, the other option is to stick it out in a weakened American, which without Memphis, looks worse than the Valley. The fact of the matter is this, every school and every conference is currently considering their futures. There will be a day when the wheat and chaff are separated. Basketball only schools will align with basketball schools and football schools will align with football schools. The Shockers got a lifeline into the American because of Navy. That probably won't work again. Where do you think you can be admitted, and where is your ideal? Are you gonna be the wheat or the chaff? If your ideal is a football centric conference, you can forget about it. If you want to hold out for a basketball centric conference better than the Big East or watered down AAC, good luck. I guess you could go A-10.... Or MVC. This is bordering on banal.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

It was a nice venue, but the location was 1-2 hours of driving each way from where I stayed last year. The atmosphere stunk compared to Memphis or St. Louis. I assume Covid was partly to blame, but I doubt it will be much better this year.

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
                It was a nice venue, but the location was 1-2 hours of driving each way from where I stayed last year. The atmosphere stunk compared to Memphis or St. Louis. I assume Covid was partly to blame, but I doubt it will be much better this year.
                Holy crap. Did you stay on the other side of DFW??? Lol

I live in Wylie, which is about as far east as you can get, and I can get there in 1 hour 15 mins easy.....outside of rush hour which I didn't have to worry about during the games....
                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

Except, the other option is to stick it out in a weakened American, which without Memphis, looks worse than the Valley. The fact of the matter is this, every school and every conference is currently considering their futures. There will be a day when the wheat and chaff are separated. Basketball only schools will align with basketball schools and football schools will align with football schools. The Shockers got a lifeline into the American because of Navy. That probably won't work again. Where do you think you can be admitted, and where is your ideal? Are you gonna be the wheat or the chaff? If your ideal is a football centric conference, you can forget about it. If you want to hold out for a basketball centric conference better than the Big East or watered down AAC, good luck. I guess you could go A-10.... Or MVC. This is bordering on banal.
                  That's not an option, that's a program death sentence. We will be very happy to be in the BP. I will be gagging and trolling my ass off.

My ideal is the AAC that we entered. I was VERY happy in there as mentioned. Some cupcakes, some really strong medium programs, and a couple highlights every year (Memphis/Cincy). Then we had the prestige of being in a "power" conference w/ top 25 football teams. I was as happy as a clam. Pinched myself daily.

Now it's all ****.

If we found ourselves trapped in a depleted AAC or worse... we could be facing the hibernation of our basketball program - similar to the 90's. I assure you nobody on earth thought in the 80's, when we were an NBA farm club, that we would EVER see anything like the 90's. Well, we are sitting at the precipice right now.

So yeah, throwing up in my mouth while we play a bunch of pantywaist, trust fund, Suburban Horse professionals will have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by shocktown View Post

Ill just agree with the others who have already said this but it was a pandemic year, there were more than 100 fans and there was plenty to do within 5 minutes of the arena. I really enjoyed the tourney and location and look forward to going again this year.

Plus, in n out.

Comment

My fingers are still crossed that the ChicKUns and Cowboys will find a door out. If that happens the B12 will become the AAC. The other hope is we somehow slide into the MWC w/ Tulsa, SMU, and Memphis - THEN Gonzaga joins.

These are my hopes. These are scenarios where Wichita State not only maintains, but potentially improves its situation. All the other potential outcomes, and they greatly outnumber mine, are dire to not good.

Then there's the Big Pee. We are not a good fit with those schools. Our baseball would die, travel would be horrendous, we wouldn't be on ESPN any longer, much of the $4M would get absorbed in travel costs,... and good GOD does that conference love soccer.... EVERY school plays.

Jesus. Not a good fit.

We never should have cancelled football.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Ill just agree with the others who have already said this but it was a pandemic year, there were more than 100 fans and there was plenty to do within 5 minutes of the arena. I really enjoyed the tourney and location and look forward to going again this year.

Plus, in n out.
                        I get that pandemic thing was a factor and how it affected attendance. It will continue to tamp down on WSU attendance since we have a large base of blue hairs and the fear factor it generates.

The location reminds me of Kemper in KC.

My point was to a consolidated fan gathering location for pre and post game activities. I never even addressed the plethora of activities in DFW area, wasn't the point. But, at the risk of offending our brothers in Texas, give me some Big Apple for a change of pace.

Comment

Don’t pay Clod no mind. Nobody from here, takes him seriously. He just bloviates his self importance, and tries to get attention from anyone possible.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

We never should have cancelled football.
                            IF You or Someone would have wrote a check then, you wouldn't need to write the check now. Get with your boy ADDB and make it happen.

All the chirpin' is just that! Blah blah blah blah blah...Just make it happen!

Comment

I wish we had football too, but let's assume we never dropped football and had an average to above average football program over the last 30 years. Would we be in a different spot? I doubt it. KU and K-State would never let us in the Big 12, and at the end of the day that whole conference is doomed anyway. We'd either be in the AAC or MWC. You could go to the Big East, but that would be the end of football for the most part. We'd be in the same position as Tulsa with better basketball and better fan support. We'd probably be right where we are now. You have to hope a couple of these new teams elevate their game like Loyola did when it entered the MVC. We all laughed at that add, but on the basketball side they would be a better add to the AAC than most of these new teams. Or, the Big East takes us, but I just don't see it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Comment

out of the frying pan, into the fire. what a load of utter shite. b.s. this will be better than the valley.

Comment

Working...
                                X