2021-22 Expectations for Shocker Basketball – “Summertime Edition”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
    I have a feeling that juco center was going to be the #3 option at center. There were some comments about his being on the raw side.
    Quite possible but I still would like to have that 3rd big guy. The freshman is probably a better 4 than a five from the things I have read.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post

Quite possible but I still would like to have that 3rd big guy. The freshman is probably a better 4 than a five from the things I have read.
      I think that was also the case for the JC kid.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Quotables: Media Day

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/10/...media-day.aspx

Lot of talk about defense and rebounding. Now how that will play out once the fun begins remains to be seen.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 23, 2021, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Roundhouse podcast with Mike Kennedy on basketball, volleyball and the AAC

The first 8:30 is Shocker volleyball talk, 8:30 to 16:50 is men's basketball talk and the final 2 minutes is about the AAC realignment moves.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 27, 2021, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I think that was also the case for the JC kid.
            Except that he was older and supposedly 6-10. New kid is 6-8 and a freshman.

Comment

Kenny Photo is 6-11 and 240. Issac Abide is 6-8, 6-9

Comment

Pohto.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                  Pohto.
                  aka Pohto Bomb

Comment

Yeap. K Pohto can flat out shoot. But can he post up inside the paint and score? I have not seen that in shocker videos of him. Maybe I missed it. It would be nice if he could score closer to the basket too. Go Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
                      Yeap. K Pohto can flat out shoot. But can he post up inside the paint and score? I have not seen that in shocker videos of him. Maybe I missed it. It would be nice if he could score closer to the basket too. Go Shocks.
                      Yeah, but can he hit a D1 curveball?
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

It's a lot easier for a 6'11" guy to learn some post-up moves than to learn to hit from deep.

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
                          It's a lot easier for a 6'11" guy to learn some post-up moves than to learn to hit from deep.
                          I agree. That's why I am hoping he is also working on an inside game. He would be more versatile if he had an inside game to go with his ability to stroke it from the three point line. And I really like his basketball IQ. Basketball IQ is underrated. Go Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

I agree. That's why I am hoping he is also working on an inside game. He would be more versatile if he had an inside game to go with his ability to stroke it from the three point line. And I really like his basketball IQ. Basketball IQ is underrated. Go Shocks.
                            If I could give Kenny one guaranteed skill to go along with his shooting it would be defense and rebounding. Ok, that’s technically two but my point is I think he will help the team the most if he can spell Mo with solid defense and board work.

He won’t be the focal point of the offense so his post moves or lack thereof should be relatively easy to scheme around. I hope we don’t try to fit a square peg in a round hole. If his strengths are in the pick and pop/roll game then let’s play to that when he’s in the game instead of sticking him on the block because he’s tall.

If and when his post game develops (he might already have one, I have no clue) all the better for him and the team like you said.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

If I could give Kenny one guaranteed skill to go along with his shooting it would be defense and rebounding. Ok, that’s technically two but my point is I think he will help the team the most if he can spell Mo with solid defense and board work.

He won’t be the focal point of the offense so his post moves or lack thereof should be relatively easy to scheme around. I hope we don’t try to fit a square peg in a round hole. If his strengths are in the pick and pop/roll game then let’s play to that when he’s in the game instead of sticking him on the block because he’s tall.

If and when his post game develops (he might already have one, I have no clue) all the better for him and the team like you said.
                              Accounts so far indicate that he's a better-than-expected defender, with good hands and the foot speed to recover on hedges, which is crucial, and the ability to take charges. I would expect him to be a solid post defender. He's not going to get up and block a lot of shots, but he also won't get beat very often. He'll stay on the ground and force his man to shoot over him, and I think he'll be a good defensive rebounder for that reason. With his foot speed, I'm also hoping he can master the wall up defense on players in transition that Rauno did so effectively. Those things don't show up in the stats, but they're important.
                              “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Kenny Pohto is going to show he has the skillset/level of former AZ Wildcat & current NBAer Lauri Markkanen (sp?).
                                But with Mo gobbling minutes, & playing for Wichita State vs. Being a hyped signee for Mr. Faucet Pits, he will be here 3 seasons before jumping early for a professional career.
                                This season: 6.8 ppg 4.8 rpg .7 bpg (42% from 3)
                                Year 2 stats: 12.1 ppg 6.4 rpg 1.7 bpg(37.9% from 3)
                                Year 3 stats: 14.6 ppg 6.8 rpg 2.3 bpg(44.6% from 3)

The Shocknroll33 crystal ball has spoken

Comment

Working...
                                X