Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IndianaShocker View Post

Don't think B1G wants Kansas. Definitely not Iowa St. If they did, both would be there already.
    If the XII does fall apart, I could definitely see the B1G going after KU. Yes, football is king, but a national basketball product is still of value. Who else would go where is anyone's guess. Would whoever remained add to the XII or would they be scraps for other conferences? Either way, it would have an impact on the American. Would be much more preferable if we were fighting over the scraps as opposed to end up being picked at. Though we'd most likely get left with the least desirable schools in that best case scenario.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

This scenario was/is inevitable. In the world of college athletics and money, and (I believe) the inevitable destruction of the NCAA, this is where we are heading.

We can only hope to somehow hold together a basketball tournament for "the rest of us". We're completely at the mercy of these programs.

Comment

OSU, Baylor, Tech, and KState seem like the schools who will be left in limbo. West Virginia will fight like hell to get into the ACC (again). I’ve read that Iowa State and KU are the only AAU members which is one of the prerequisites for B10 memberships. With the emergence of Matt Campbell and ISU football surely the B10 would be all over them.

Comment

I'm guessing the b12 (sans OU/UT) is already discussing reaching out to two or more of SMU, Houston, Cinci, Memphis, UCF, BYU and Boise.

The real key here is whether the remaining b12 teams commit to sticking together. If so, they are in a better position to poach from the AAC than the other way around, unfortunately. But I could also see a few schools reaching out to other conferences, or vice versa - WVU to ACC, ISU/KU to B10, OSU/TT/BU to Pac. If only one more were to leave, they are probably still strong enough to poach. If two leave, then it's hard to say how the remaining dominoes would fall.

And TV contracts will certainly play a role.

This could get interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by SkoShox View Post
            It will be interesting to follow the legitimacy of OU/Texas to the SEC. Obviously this would set off a substantial amount of realignment. KU/Iowa State would be likely tied to the B10. What would happen to KState, Baylor, OSU, and Tech? SMU and Houston would be salivating about joining that group. Memphis would probably be interested as well.
            If the B12 loses members and for some reason implodes, then K-State and Iowa State are both MWC/AAC-level schools. Arguably they always have been.

Comment

In the end, there will be 64 teams in the top division of College Football. Expect 8 divisions, with each Division winner 4 2nd place teams to make playoffs.

Comment

Summit League...
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

If UT and OU go to the SEC and the rest of the B12 remains intact, Houston to the B12 is almost automatic. Then one more, possibly Memphis, Cinci, BYU, or Boise seems likely. The question for the B12 without UT and OU is whether their revenues would be higher by adding two schools or by joining another conference.

Iowa State would want into the BiG badly. If that happens it could start the dominoes falling.

Comment

Another aspect. How much do you think players in the SEC can get in NIL $$ compared to the B12? If SEC teams can outbid UT and OU for players, UT and OU fall off the FB map.

Comment

SEC goes to 16 teams (UT/OU). B1G goes to 16 teams (ISU/KU). ACC goes to 16 teams (WVU/???). Things are going to get weird. Hopefully, WSU can find a decent landing spot if the AAC teams (SMU, Houston, Memphis, Cincy, Tulsa?) get poached.

Comment

I read that A&M has already made it known they don't want TU and OU and will fight it. Not really sure why OU wants in the SEC. Unless the playoff continues to expand, they will have a much more difficult road to get in, IMO. Unless there will just be 4 SEC teams every year, (which could happen). But the Big 12 will most definitely pick off Houston, Cincy, SMU and Memphis.

I would like to think otherwise, but this looks like it will end bad for the AAC if OU and Texas bolt.
                        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I really think it comes down to KU in a lot of ways. If OU/UT leave, what do they do? If they stay, the XII definitely still has a position to poach. Houston would be an obvious choice for them. The FL twins would be on the radar. Memphis and Cinci would be possible.

If KU and ISU go to the B1G, then you'd see the schools that can get out, get out and the other conferences would be all over it to eliminate one of their competitors. If the XII falls apart, I'm not sure the AAC loses anyone. The other conferences that would like a FL presence are already there. Same with Texas outside of the PAC, but they would probably grab Tech and Baylor (though Houston could have a chance). OSU would also most likely be taken by the PAC. TCU and KSU would probably get left out. Unless someone finds TCU more attractive than Baylor. Or I guess the PAC could take all three Texas schools with OSU. I don't see KSU trading up. The AAC or MWC would be likely. WVU would most likely get into the ACC, though if they didn't, it wouldn't be the worst thing for the American.

As I told some friends earlier today, it'll be interesting to see when the first domino drops. Then it'll be interesting to see if the B1G and PAC are open to 16 as well. If they are, goodbye XII.

So best case for us and the American is the dissolution of the XII.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

On the TBT thread I am all for the ELAM ending because it addresses the worst part of basketball and adds uncertainty to games which combine to increase my interest.

When it comes to conference alignment - I am a traditionalist. I believe good regional competition and geographic story lines improve fan interest more than “better competition wherever it may be.” This is more pronounced as you move towards non-revenue generating sports.

I hope football conference alignment becomes completely disconnected from all other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              This scenario was/is inevitable. In the world of college athletics and money, and (I believe) the inevitable destruction of the NCAA, this is where we are heading.
                              I'm a little surprised the NCAA is still around. The 64 team super league of four conferences is where this has been headed for a while now. With the facade of amateurism out the window these 64 will throw off the yoke of the NCAA and play by their own rules.
                              A 32 team basketball tournament, or playoffs? Yes, have some.
                              A football playoff? You know it.
                              College World Series played at the site of the highest bidder? Fo sho.
                              Marketing departments helping players monetize their media? Get in.

None of this is bad, really. Luckily WSU doesn't have a football team to support.
                              Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                                I really think it comes down to KU in a lot of ways. If OU/UT leave, what do they do? If they stay, the XII definitely still has a position to poach. Houston would be an obvious choice for them. The FL twins would be on the radar. Memphis and Cinci would be possible.

If KU and ISU go to the B1G, then you'd see the schools that can get out, get out and the other conferences would be all over it to eliminate one of their competitors. If the XII falls apart, I'm not sure the AAC loses anyone. The other conferences that would like a FL presence are already there. Same with Texas outside of the PAC, but they would probably grab Tech and Baylor (though Houston could have a chance). OSU would also most likely be taken by the PAC. TCU and KSU would probably get left out. Unless someone finds TCU more attractive than Baylor. Or I guess the PAC could take all three Texas schools with OSU. I don't see KSU trading up. The AAC or MWC would be likely. WVU would most likely get into the ACC, though if they didn't, it wouldn't be the worst thing for the American.

As I told some friends earlier today, it'll be interesting to see when the first domino drops. Then it'll be interesting to see if the B1G and PAC are open to 16 as well. If they are, goodbye XII.

So best case for us and the American is the dissolution of the XII.
                                This makes sense. KU has a good case for the B1G. And really, you are probably right that they will look to go to 16 as well.

The route to 16 is easy for all but the Big 12. Adding 2-4 teams is not nearly as hard as doubling your league (If TU and OU bolt). I could see Baylor in the Pac 12 easily. The green unis, etc. They will fit right in (except the baptist thing).

I agree, the best case for the AAC is complete implosion of the Big 12 and maybe picking up the leftovers of that conference.
                                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Working...
                                X