Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post
    I think SLU is primed for a Big E move. They have very good facilities and have a ok BB history. Good catholic university that fits the Big E profile.
    They don’t draw. They are a media afterthought in their own town. They have little history which is all ancient. If they’re just looking for a catholic school in a big town, then they check that box. Otherwise, garbage. Aka Rutgers in the B10.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Since the Big East "may" be looking for basketball only schools to stock up on all this new realignment...is it possible that they could just take Wichita St. in basketball ONLY....and the Shocks to play ALL other sports in the AAC?????

I mean if there only after basketball centric universities...why not??? Could be a win-win for both parties.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
        Since the Big East "may" be looking for basketball only schools to stock up on all this new realignment...is it possible that they could just take Wichita St. in basketball ONLY....and the Shocks to play ALL other sports in the AAC?????

I mean if there only after basketball centric universities...why not??? Could be a win-win for both parties.
        We were invited to the AAC for basketball profile. I don’t see them allowing us to keep our other teams without BB.

Comment

• I’m not convinced that the Big E will get that much money in their next media deal. Fox sports overpaid last time.

Comment

Since the Big East "may" be looking for basketball only schools to stock up on all this new realignment...is it possible that they could just take Wichita St. in basketball ONLY....and the Shocks to play ALL other sports in the AAC?????

That's a great idea! We'll play that conference in basketball only and then send The Kansas Newman University Jets in our place for the Wuuuuurld CUP SoCCeR festivals.

Newman University - for the BJ lurkers - is Wichita's version of Creighton. Podunk and wet-pantied over the Communistic past-time of keep away.

Comment

No. Where you park your basketball, you park all sports. The only exceptions are for sports not sponsored by the conference. Wrestling, track, bowling, any sport that a conference doesn't sponsor, schools can be affiliate members of another conference. D-2 schools can also compete in no more than one D-1 sport other than basketball or football. If you are D-1 in basketball or football, you are D-1 in all.

Football is the one sport that allows teams to be independent, not tying all sports to a conference affiliation, see ND and BYU.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post
                I’m not convinced that the Big E will get that much money in their next media deal. Fox sports overpaid last time.
                Their TV viewership is horrendous.

Comment

• Cold- you kill me. Keep it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

No. Where you park your basketball, you park all sports. The only exceptions are for sports not sponsored by the conference.
                    Damn. Well I wonder if an exception can be made. Maybe depends on how desperate the BE is willing to bend to get a couple-few basketball schools. Seems like the timing and pressure of conferences to get more value is at an all-time high right now. Wishful thinking I know.
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      What about Dayton?
                      Xavier would protest vehemently and the rest of the league would back up Xavier so as not to dilute the Cincinnati media market.

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                      If the Pee would pick VCU, a mid-major, flash-in-the-pan public university in a crime-ridden neighborhood, over a national brand like Wichita State well... I don't know what to say, but... maybe it WOULD be a better fit with the mid-major profile of many of the members.
                      "The Pee" absolutely would pick VCU... as to why, you'd have to ask the president of Georgetown (DeGioia), the single most powerful BE administrator.

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                      Damn. Well I wonder if an exception can be made. Maybe depends on how desperate the BE is willing to bend to get a couple-few basketball schools. Seems like the timing and pressure of conferences to get more value is at an all-time high right now. Wishful thinking I know.
                      The BE is one of the LEAST desperate conferences in America. Probably more stable than anyone not named SEC.

Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post
                      I’m not convinced that the Big E will get that much money in their next media deal. Fox sports overpaid last time.
                      You're half right. Fox overpaid in 2013 because they were starting up FS1 and FS2 and needed content; they paid ~$4M per school when the "new" BE was unproven.

You're also half wrong. The conference's value has increased exponentially since 2013. Nova has won 2 titles. Xavier got a 1-seed and made the E8 in different years. The biggest media market teams, St. John's and Georgetown, have returned to the NCAAT after droughts. Butler made several S16's. Creighton finally made a S16. Marquette hired Shaka. UConn joined the conference. DePaul built an arena. Providence made multiple NCAAT's, as did Seton Hall. The BE has repeatedly finished in the top 4 of RPI and NET. Its conference tournament is the highest attended of any and is at "The World's Most Famous Arena." I could go on.

Comment

• Originally posted by JayPak View Post
                        Xavier would protest vehemently and the rest of the league would back up Xavier so as not to dilute the Cincinnati media market.

"The Pee" absolutely would pick VCU... as to why, you'd have to ask the president of Georgetown (DeGioia), the single most powerful BE administrator.

The BE is one of the LEAST desperate conferences in America. Probably more stable than anyone not named SEC.

You're half right. Fox overpaid in 2013 because they were starting up FS1 and FS2 and needed content; they paid ~$4M per school when the "new" BE was unproven.

You're also half wrong. The conference's value has increased exponentially since 2013. Nova has won 2 titles. Xavier got a 1-seed and made the E8 in different years. The biggest media market teams, St. John's and Georgetown, have returned to the NCAAT after droughts. Butler made several S16's. Creighton finally made a S16. Marquette hired Shaka. UConn joined the conference. DePaul built an arena. Providence made multiple NCAAT's, as did Seton Hall. The BE has repeatedly finished in the top 4 of RPI and NET. Its conference tournament is the highest attended of any and is at "The World's Most Famous Arena." I could go on.
                        No doubt that the Big E is a great BB conference. Can they get the same or better money? Maybe. We will see in a few years. Great that your fan base sends 3k to the conference tournament.

Comment

• By some of your logic ORU and UMKC deliver Tulsa and KC Metro eyeballs. Nobody GAF in those towns. No more UNO, UTSA, et al. We are well and proper ****ed. If the administration can turn this into anything other than an unmitigated disaster I will be mighty impressed.

As it looks from my view we are likely to go back to being a dwarf among midgets or as Anthony Michael Hall said in "Sixteen Candles" 'King of the Dorks.' Embrace it and brush up on your Dungeons and Dragons skills because we are not getting invited to the cool kids' table.
                          Last edited by BOBB; October 20, 2021, 06:05 PM. Reason: Dwarves are taller than Midgets?
                          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

The BE is one of the LEAST desperate conferences in America. Probably more stable than anyone not named SEC
                            Oh I don't doubt that at all. But with all the recent shake up in these conferences and a person or two associated with the Big East tweeting on Twitter about possibly grabbing a couple more basketball schools...you never know. They may wanna grab a couple more "name brands" to stay competitive for March bids and tv revenue.

FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

DePaul built an arena.
                              I like how every other school in the BE has NCAAT accomplishments and this is what DePaul hangs their hat on

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I like how every other school in the BE has NCAAT accomplishments and this is what DePaul hangs their hat on
                                Actually, DePaul does, too. It's just old history. Last NCAA appearance was 2004, but the school has been to the tourney 24 times, including two Final 4s.

Comment

Working...
                                X