Shockers and NIL deals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RH: NIL Made for Entrepreneurial Spirits Such as VanVleet

He served as a mature leader and spokesman for the Shockers, explaining the game, crediting teammates, and taking blame in losses. Fans trusted his words, laughing when he threw a zinger at Kansas after an NCAA Tournament win in 2015 or crying when he spoke after a career-ending defeat to Miami in the NCAA Tournament in 2016.

Comment

"In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
        This actually makes me want to patronize these restaurants more than I currently do and when I do I will let then know their willingness to help our our Shocker athletes is the reason why I am there.

Comment

Carlos OKellys has been very good for the Wichita area. They have a very large community impact that most cannot see.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
            Carlos OKellys has been very good for the Wichita area. They have a very large community impact that most cannot see.
            They have expanded a lot since their early Pizza Hut days in Wichita but the Rolph's remain committed to the area. Jon Rolph has expanded their brand now to include many restaurants and he is a big Wichita State supporter on the BOR, etc. They also have started "Homegrown" and purchased "Applebee's." in addition to Carlos O'Kellys.

ABOUT US

We are 5,000+ people, running 100+ restaurants, in 12 states, who are committed to making a difference in the lives of the people we serve and the communities in which we live.

HISTORY

We have been serving people and food for over 45 years. Founded by Darrel and David Rolph, we have our roots in the earliest Pizza Hut days, and our values centered on serving and treating people with respect.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

This actually makes me want to patronize these restaurants more than I currently do and when I do I will let then know their willingness to help our our Shocker athletes is the reason why I am there.
              That, and they have my favorite queso of all-time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

That, and they have my favorite queso of all-time.
                Just make sure Baker doesn’t double dip.
                78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Just make sure Baker doesn’t double dip.

Comment

While our guys are getting free nachos, the Alabama quarterback already has $1 million in deals and hasn’t played a game. https://sports.yahoo.com/alabama-sab...181224608.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      While our guys are getting free nachos, the Alabama quarterback already has $1 million in deals and hasn’t played a game. https://sports.yahoo.com/alabama-sab...181224608.html
                      I expect that KU got a get out jail free card - they can now claim that they were on the right side of history and were just early adopters of NIL.

Comment

Zero doubt.

For a program with absolutely no institutional control.

Comment

As we’ve heard, Mo and Monzy are doing a Carlos O’Kelly’s commercial...with a special guest.

Absolutely clever and well done!
                          78-65

Comment

Comment

While I agree to a certain point, the NCAA and the universities have no one but themselves to blame.

1. The NCAA and universities are making money hand over fist. They are the ones who started monetizing their athletics decades ago. And here we are after compounding interest. The student athlete got an education, but that reward pales in comparison to what they generate for their school and the benevolent NCAA.

2. They're already getting paid. Now it's more likely to be above the table.

3. Boo freaking hoo. With your million + salary. God forbid the students wet their beak a little.
                              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

It's hard to think in terms of a salary cap for "student-athletes", but that's going to have to happen.

This would never fly, but past a certain point, NIL comes out of the coaches salary. That's where a lot of the money from athletics has gone.

I don't know what Bama's coach makes, but if there was a $1 mill NIL cap, he could recruit past that, but that would reduce his salary. That would totally violate existing contracts, but renegotiating those contracts might come into play.

Never happen, but if a coach wants to win, the cost of that coming out of his salary isn't a bad idea. Coaches are only getting those salaries because the players are free.

Comment

Working...
                                X