All-Time Favorite Shocker Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockadaisical View Post
    For me it was between X and Carr. I went with Carr and the reason he was my favorite, was because he grew up here, so I started following his career a little earlier. I remember being pumped that a high school All-American from.Wichita was going to be a Shocker. I would say choosing between the two, he was my sentimental favorite for that reason. Of course you had Drieling and Sherrod, ( All-American's from Wichita). who did the same, but Antoine was the best of the group.
    To add to all that you mentioned, the biggest thing that sticks with me is that "he stuck with us" at a time that was so very important to the program. He was a better player than Cliff, but stayed (of course, Cliff knew X was breathing down on him). I also feel that him staying was a big help to Xavier.

Comment

Now someone do a least favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
        Now someone do a least favorite.
        He’s in this one
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
          He’s in this one
          Shock, I had to break down laughing at your splendid catch.

Comment

I strongly feel that In my opinion, you left off one of our all time great BB players, Cleo Littleton, (whom many, perhaps most, were not even born when he played, but whose presence on the court at a time when we had no where near the depth we have today, was most crucial. Never since have we had to rely on the talent on one player as we did during Cleo's four years. Anthony Early, , is another who should at least be considered.

Comment

The Best Shocker Ever. I don’t care about favorite players but the only consensus All American in WSU history was Dave The Rave. He was named on every major AA team. Never before and never since has this happened at Wichita State.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964..._All-Americans

If not for his ❤️ Attack in his prime with the New York Knicks, he would have been one of the best NBA players of All Time too.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                The Best Shocker Ever. I don’t care about favorite players but the only consensus All American in WSU history was Dave The Rave. He was named on every major AA team. Never before and never since has this happened at Wichita State.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964..._All-Americans

If not for his ❤️ Attack in his prime with the New York Knicks, he would have been one of the best NBA players of All Time too.
                Consensus All-Americans for WSU are Stallworth, McDaniel, and Early. McBurney also qualified in the 1920s as consensus AA.

Comment

By the way, this thread was started as "Your Favorite" Shocker. Nothing to do with "Best". That is a different thread (or could be).

Add: Anyone can select "Other". If there is enough Other votes, perhaps posters can post who the "Other" player they voted for is.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                    By the way, this thread was started as "Your Favorite" Shocker. Nothing to do with "Best". That is a different thread (or could be).

Add: Anyone can select "Other". If there is enough Other votes, perhaps posters can post who the "Other" player they voted for is.
                    I explained that in my first sentence. You care I suppose. I don’t.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Consensus All-Americans for WSU are Stallworth, McDaniel, and Early. McBurney also qualified in the 1920s as consensus AA.
                      I listed the AA lists. Dave was on every one’s 1st 5. Can you list the players you advocate as being as good as Dave? Were they on all of the Top 5 lists?

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                        I strongly feel that In my opinion, you left off one of our all time great BB players, Cleo Littleton, (whom many, perhaps most, were not even born when he played, but whose presence on the court at a time when we had no where near the depth we have today, was most crucial. Never since have we had to rely on the talent on one player as we did during Cleo's four years. Anthony Early, , is another who should at least be considered.
                        You are right.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Comment

I explained that in my first sentence. You care I suppose. I don’t.

Did I quote you on that post? No. There are others also posting about someone being a best player or so and so should be considered because how good he was. That was not the intent of the thread.

I listed the AA lists. Dave was on every one’s 1st 5. Can you list the players you advocate as being as good as Dave? Were they on all of the Top 5 lists?
                            Verbatim from your first post: "I don’t care about favorite players but the only consensus All American in WSU history was Dave The Rave." You had a period at the end. The rest is additional information.

All I'm saying is that you can look it up in the MBB Fact Book. It will list all four as Consensus All-Americans. Has nothing to do with 1st team, 2nd team, or how many major AA polls a player was listed on. AA uses only 4 sources and it is based on a point system.

Also, no where did I say that Dave was NOT the best or other Shocker players as being as good.

Comment

Who is on the list is debatable. Very few here know about Dave and Warren because very few were alive 55-60 years ago. I’m just the first and maybe only person who mentioned the most data driven fact regarding who is the best. Hands down, Dave was 1st Team on all of the top AA lists os his day.

Most of the recent fans will choose players from their era as their favorite and that is understandable. I’m not sure I can pick a favorite because I like many Shockers. I like Fred, Antoine, X, etc. However, from a purely Scientific viewpoint, I’ll choose Dave. Probably X was our most decorated professional player, but to one of my arguments regarding Dave Stallworth s bad Luck with his heart attack, where he had to sit out a couple of years during his prime, he was a great enough player, that he would have been a highly decorated pro, had he not had heart sickness.

I have only a fuzzy memory of him (probably I remember his comeback from his heart problems most because of my age), but I remember my father talking about how great a pro player he would have been. Finally, Dave came back to Wichita to live and raise his family following his pro career in the Big Apple. No other Shocker AA Great has done that. That leaves a soft spot in my heart for him. His loyalty to our city is a great gesture toward our university, and that is the reason he would be my favorite.

Comment

Who is on the list is debatable. Very few here know about Dave and Warren because very few were alive 55-60 years ago. I’m just the first and maybe only person who mentioned the most data driven fact regarding who is the best. Hands down, Dave was 1st Team on all of the top AA lists os his day.

Most of the recent fans will choose players from their era as their favorite and that is understandable. I’m not sure I can pick a favorite because I like many Shockers. I like Fred, Antoine, X, etc. However, from a purely Scientific viewpoint, I’ll choose Dave. Probably X was our most decorated professional player, but to one of my arguments regarding Dave Stallworth s bad Luck with his heart attack, where he had to sit out a couple of years during his prime, he was a great enough player, that he would have been a highly decorated pro, had he not had heart sickness.

I have only a fuzzy memory of him (probably I remember his comeback from his heart problems most because of my age), but I remember my father talking about how great a pro player he would have been. Finally, Dave came back to Wichita to live and raise his family following his pro career in the Big Apple. No other Shocker AA Great has done that. That leaves a soft spot in my heart for him. His loyalty to our city is a great gesture toward our university, and that is the reason he would be my favorite.
                                Pull the stick out of your butt. This is a fun conversation starter. It’s not serious yet you are in here picking fights.

damn, people need to lighten up.

Comment

Working...
                                X