No announcement yet.

All-Time Favorite Shocker Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Cheese isn’t named specifically it’s a bogus poll!

Comment

Some really great guys there. It came down to X and Tekele for me. I went with Tekele. It was like splitting hairs though. I feel like I could go up and shake hands with Tekele, X would still scare me!
      Go Shocks!

Comment

The human highlight reel Tekele Cotton!

Including The Process in the poll made me literally LOL. I don't who you are, that's funny.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

For me, its the Sultan of Bounce. He embodied everything that WSU basketball culture is.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Robert Elmore!

Comment

Antoine Carr is my favorite of all time Shocker players!

Comment

I voted for Tekele, but it was close between several. I tried to base it purely on watching on the court. As far as off the court, Ron and Fred were both wonderful to my daughter at the basketball camps, and Cheese Johnson and Terry Atwater are great ambassadors for the Shockers and great guys to sit and talk to, but I never had the pleasure of seeing them play.
                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

"Other"...Jamie Thompson. Stats over 3 years per game from 1964-1967 [ no varsity eligibility for freshmen at that time ] : FG% .490, FT% .853, TRB 6.7, AST 2.9, PTS 17.7. Also no 3 point shot at that time. Not bad stats for a 6-3 or 6-4 East High grad who was an Academic All American while at WSU.

Comment

This is like asking which of your children is your favorite.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      This is like asking which of your children is your favorite.
                      Soooo .. you are saying you have one picked out?

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Soooo .. you are saying you have one picked out?
                        We used to tell the kids we would never get a divorce because neither of us wanted custody. We had one we disliked less than than the others but didn't have a favorite.

Comment

For me it was between X and Carr. I went with Carr and the reason he was my favorite, was because he grew up here, so I started following his career a little earlier. I remember being pumped that a high school All-American from.Wichita was going to be a Shocker. I would say choosing between the two, he was my sentimental favorite for that reason. Of course you had Drieling and Sherrod, ( All-American's from Wichita). who did the same, but Antoine was the best of the group.

Comment

Went with the Big Dawg again. He still is my favorite and his autographed basketball still sits on a shelf in my office to this day.
                            FINAL FOURS:
                            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                            Number of Times Ranked: 157
                            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                            #3 - Dec. 2017
                            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                            #2 ~ March 2014
                            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

I voted X-Man. Anyone that was around in that era is pretty much stuck on voting for him. First NCAA player to lead the nation in scoring AND rebounding at 30 points 15 boards a game (basically). He could teach a lot of young people about playing hard every possession.

Averaged a double-double for three years at the D1 level. He was intimidating to another level. I mean, Tekele Cotton was intimidating, but X was in an entirely different league - his own.

If I could vote for a second player, it might actually be Jason Perez. He was a confident, silent marksman. He took over the team as a freshman in a road game at Kansas State and never looked back. He brought the "long ball" game to Wichita State. He would take the game winning shot with 1 second on the clock and be halfway into the tunnel to the locker room before the ball hit the bottom of the net.

Comment

Quote from JVShocker :: I mean, Tekele Cotton was intimidating, but X was in an entirely different league - his own.

Most definitely. X man was probably the most intimidating player in Shocker history. He had that look of intensity, to go along with a build that was imposing in and if itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X