No announcement yet.

Waaaay too early 2021-2022 AAC predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penny has been the poster child of squandered talent.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I guess I’ll be the guy who continues to stick up for Memphis for whatever reason but I think it’s important to remember that this is only Anfernee Hardaway’s fourth year.

Year 1 - NIT bid with mostly Tubbys guys
      Year 2 - Wiseman declared ineligible after like two games, COVID. I don’t remember if they were on the bubble or not.
      Year 3 - COVID, NIT championship

Yes, this is the year they need to be around the top 25, winning big non con games and solidly in the tournament at the end of the year. I fully expect that based on what they are returning (Williams, Lomax, Nolly, Cisse, etc) and what I assume is another loaded recruiting class.

I don’t like Memphis and I’m tired of seeing the Shockers lose to them. The league needs Memphis to be good.
      Totally Agree !!!!!

Comment

As far as what Penny says, would it be better if he said “well, you know, we got this highly rated recruiting class and I think that will give us a good chance to compete for third in the league.” Come on. Of course he’s going to set the expectations high. That’s not a bad thing.
        There is a massive middle ground between "We will finish third in the league" and "We expect to win a national championship".

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Hate on them all you want but it looks ridiculous to act like Hardaway is some lost clown considering we’re 1-4 against him.
        We are 1-4 against him yet have finished ahead of them 2 out of 3 years and made the tourney more often (likely 2 out of 3 years vs 0 out of 3 years).

You laid out an excuse for him as COVID for missing this year. WSU had COVID issues ... lost half its roster ... lost its HOF level coach one week before the season ... STILL finished ahead of him and made the tourney when he didn't.

Comment

• Memphis is a tough matchup for us with their long guards and style of play. It is not unreasonable to say they could be better than us head to head and still finish behind us in the standings. As a team, we are typically more consistent than they are.
          Last edited by Dan; April 15, 2021, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
            Memphis is a touch matchup for us with their long guards and style of play. It is not unreasonable to say they could be better than us head to head and still finish behind us in the standings. As a team, we are typically more consistent than they are.
            LOL You better stop being truthful and logical. Some fans on this board do not like the truth. But I can hang. Keep grinding.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

There is a massive middle ground between "We will finish third in the league" and "We expect to win a national championship".

We are 1-4 against him yet have finished ahead of them 2 out of 3 years and made the tourney more often (likely 2 out of 3 years vs 0 out of 3 years).

You laid out an excuse for him as COVID for missing this year. WSU had COVID issues ... lost half its roster ... lost its HOF level coach one week before the season ... STILL finished ahead of him and made the tourney when he didn't.

Penny can go around claiming they could beat the Monstars for all I care. Why should it matter to me as a WSU fan what Penny says regarding his expectations for his team? I’m not a Memphis fan. I’m only interested in them insofar as they’re in our league.

This was not a normal year. It’s not an excuse, it just is what it is. The margin between us getting in and Memphis being left out was razor thin. It pretty much came down to us beating Ole Miss and Houston, giving us two Q2 wins to their zero. Who knows what would have happened differently if this year was normal.

As it turns out, we got the conference championship and the NCAA bid. We earned and deserved both. I can believe that and at the same time believe that Memphis was probably an NCAA tourney caliber team this year even if they didn’t get in.

Comment

Penny can go around claiming they could beat the Monstars for all I care. Why should it matter to me as a WSU fan what Penny says regarding his expectations for his team? I’m not a Memphis fan. I’m only interested in them insofar as they’re in our league.

This was not a normal year. It’s not an excuse, it just is what it is. The margin between us getting in and Memphis being left out was razor thin. It pretty much came down to us beating Ole Miss and Houston, giving us two Q2 wins to their zero. Who knows what would have happened differently if this year was normal.

As it turns out, we got the conference championship and the NCAA bid. We earned and deserved both. I can believe that and at the same time believe that Memphis was probably an NCAA tourney caliber team this year even if they didn’t get in.
                LMAO You guys need to stop telling the truth. You keep grinding too.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

LMAO You guys need to stop telling the truth. You keep grinding too.

You mean like Houston is a really good 2nd place team?

Comment

There are always a couple of NIT teams that should have made the big dance. Penny screwed up when he didn’t play us in Wichita. The probably would have made it if that game was played and they won. I’m glad Memphis is on the rise. Helps the conference with tournament shares and conference prestige.

Comment

• Memphis was swept by Tulsa and dodged having to play WSU @ CKA

Thats why they left crying about not making it in on Selection Sunday.

Yes, the “look” like a tournament team and probably a good one, but they crapped the bed in the regular season.

With their talent, they were a disappointment. Period.
                      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

You mean like Houston is a really good 2nd place team?
                        ROFL. Yeap.

Comment

• I'm really liking the 3 new guys we got coming in next year but I still think we need some more height and muscle to combat both Houston and especially Memphis. Memphis has sooo many 9 foot guys that make it pretty miserable for us. Even though we got the young man from Abilene...I still think we need a bigger guy at the 4 spot. That Kuluel Mading guy or the Flip Rebraca guy would be primo. IDK...maybe we're good for next year but man...one more PF please. I wanna win the AAC again next year and really wanna get back to that 10-man rotation where there's no let off. Go Shocks!!!!
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                          Number of Times Ranked: 157
                          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                          #3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                          #2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• I think we could add a grad transfer amd freshman. Best available position on both. Preferrably a bullseye shooter.
                            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                              I feel like every year there is an excuse for Penny's under performance.
                              Its been 13 months since Memphis had their fate sent to the IARP for the J. Wiseman payment. At some point they HAVE to render a judgement. It might give HCPH a new excuse for lack of tourney trips. Probation and/or show cause is still on the table for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                                I'm really liking the 3 new guys we got coming in next year but I still think we need some more height and muscle to combat both Houston and especially Memphis. Memphis has sooo many 9 foot guys that make it pretty miserable for us. Even though we got the young man from Abilene...I still think we need a bigger guy at the 4 spot. That Kuluel Mading guy or the Flip Rebraca guy would be primo. IDK...maybe we're good for next year but man...one more PF please. I wanna win the AAC again next year and really wanna get back to that 10-man rotation where there's no let off. Go Shocks!!!!
                                Per Taylor we’re out on Mading.

WSU is also not mentioned in any of the Rebraca articles either so I would guess we are out on him as well. It seems like it was a Pleasant or Rebraca or Groce situation and we obviously ended up with Pleasant. Of course that’s just my impression, I could be wrong.

There wasn’t a single player taller than 6’8 on Houston’s roster this year. They did add 6’11 Josh Carlton from UCONN.

Monzy, Pleasant, and Mo are all 6’7 or taller. Of course we added McFarlane who is 6’10 and I bet we get one more big in that range. So, I think we’ve already gotten bigger compared to Wade and IBPC last year. Never hurts to have more size, though, you’re right about that!

Comment

Working...
                                X