X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShockingButTrue
    replied
    Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Which is why we have to get better. If he's the best we have, it puts so much more pressure on our perimeter players. Tyson needs help, and hopefully help is on the way with McFarlane and Pleasant and ideally one more on top of that.

If Udeze is an all conference player this year, the AAC has a lack of good bigs.
    AAC champions wasn't enough for you? NCAA tournament wasn't enough for you?

Can you give the rest of us a break with the "it's Mo's fault" bull**it and look at the big picture, like, let's get some help in here for MO, because he's a pretty good piece to build around on the front-line? Dan Dakich thinks your full of s**t Sub... : D

Maybe if Mo was better we'd have gone to the F4 huh? Never mind the guard play in March...

What next, if WSU was in the Valley this past year they would have owned it?

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

he was by far and away the best post WSU had this year,.
    Which is why we have to get better. If he's the best we have, it puts so much more pressure on our perimeter players. Tyson needs help, and hopefully help is on the way with McFarlane and Pleasant and ideally one more on top of that.

If Udeze is an all conference player this year, the AAC has a lack of good bigs.

Leave a comment:

• ShockingButTrue
    replied
    Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

You're pinning your case on taking charges. He is a shitty defender, but yea he has taken some chargers. Let's party!!! There have been worse post men than Udeze for sure, but I will take Stutz, Durley, Hall and a few others over Udeze all day long.
    You were rooting for Bilau this year weren't you? Took a few charges? How can I take your argument seriously? You probably thought Loyola and Drake weren't that good either.

Maybe if Mo would have averaged 8 boards, which hasn't been done in a long time on a Round House court, the Shocks could have been a Sweet 16 participant. It's Mo's fault man... Never mind some atrocious shooting for most of the season and especially the month of March. Bring Back GGG!

Last edited by ShockingButTrue; April 21, 2021, 02:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ShockingButTrue
    replied
    Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
    Udeze is potentially on the all-conference lists next year as a Jr. For most of the season Udeze was lined up to have the highest FG% in the history of WSU basketball.

Udeze scores against a lot of doubles. 60% against a double is the equivalent of passing out to a 3-shooter hitting at 40%. Going to the hoop gets fouls. Passing to a perimeter shooter doesn't get fouls. Last year, Udeze going to the bucket against a double seems to have been more effective than passing to a 3-shooter.

Udeze doesn't box out well consistently and he isn't "bouncy" or quick off the floor. He's unlikely to ever be a great rebounder. He can put out the same energy and effort as someone with quicker and better ups, and he's still not going to have great rebounding numbers.

Durley, Morris, and Stutz all had their best years as Sr's. Udeze will be a Jr (for eligibility) next year.

Last year, defenses ignored Wade. That gave Wade some stats, but allowed doubles on Udeze. Transfers and recruiting seem to have been an effort to not allow defenses to ignore our PF, which will make it easier for Udeze to be more effective.
    This pretty much sums it up, except for the he doesn't block out "well." Some people on this board would try to have the rest of us believe he doesn't block out at all.

Udeze is, at worst, equal to any of those players you mentioned. The only real exception is those players had help down low, whereas Mo had none really to speak of. It's curious people single him out when he was by far and away the best post WSU had this year, which was a championship season.

Leave a comment:

• WuTheOne
    replied
    Udeze is potentially on the all-conference lists next year as a Jr. For most of the season Udeze was lined up to have the highest FG% in the history of WSU basketball.

Udeze scores against a lot of doubles. 60% against a double is the equivalent of passing out to a 3-shooter hitting at 40%. Going to the hoop gets fouls. Passing to a perimeter shooter doesn't get fouls. Last year, Udeze going to the bucket against a double seems to have been more effective than passing to a 3-shooter.

Udeze doesn't box out well consistently and he isn't "bouncy" or quick off the floor. He's unlikely to ever be a great rebounder. He can put out the same energy and effort as someone with quicker and better ups, and he's still not going to have great rebounding numbers.

Durley, Morris, and Stutz all had their best years as Sr's. Udeze will be a Jr (for eligibility) next year.

Last year, defenses ignored Wade. That gave Wade some stats, but allowed doubles on Udeze. Transfers and recruiting seem to have been an effort to not allow defenses to ignore our PF, which will make it easier for Udeze to be more effective.

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    replied

You're pinning your case on taking charges. He is a shitty defender, but yea he has taken some chargers. Let's party!!! There have been worse post men than Udeze for sure, but I will take Stutz, Durley, Hall and a few others over Udeze all day long.
    I totally agree. He had 15 blocks in 22 games. That is with 5 blocks (Houston 2nd game), and 3 blocks (Emporia State). Without those two games, he had 7 in 20 games. Most games he blocked zero. How many blocks p/game is that? I hope he can take a charge because he has shown he can’t block shots. Rim protection is important.

With his rebounding ending at a 4.7 average, I wouldn’t Pin my hopes on Mo playing 24 minutes per game again and that was only because he was constantly in foul trouble early in the year. Otherwise, he would have had 30 minutes per game.
    Last edited by Shockm; April 20, 2021, 10:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SHOXAAC
    replied

Nothing about his taking charges huh?

Anyway, thank you for making my point. Udeze was f-a-r from the weak link on this AAC championship team that many posters endlessly, fractiously, claimed he is, including you. How did the rest of our front-line troops rate? Who would you have wanted in for Mo? Bilau? Exactly. Mo couldn't do it all by himself could he? Why did you expect him to?

It appears Brown is righting the ship to get Mo some badly needed help on the block. Maybe then we'll be subjected to less of the endless "Mo don't hit the boards" nonsense, because I really don't feel like pulling up old individual rebounding stats from over the last 10-15 years ok? A lot of our posters minds have rather -ahem- dimmed with nostalgia when talking about the good ol' days, when WSU used to dine on backboards (even though GGG rarely, if ever, could gets his troupes to out-board Houston).

So, yeah, I agree, let's please give up the gamesmanship about who did what, when.

Leave a comment:

• ShockingButTrue
    replied

The post position isn't a strength of ours with Udeze in the game. It also isn't a major weakness. It just is what it is.
    Nothing about his taking charges huh?

Anyway, thank you for making my point. Udeze was f-a-r from the weak link on this AAC championship team that many posters endlessly, fractiously, claimed he is, including you. How did the rest of our front-line troops rate? Who would you have wanted in for Mo? Bilau? Exactly. Mo couldn't do it all by himself could he? Why did you expect him to?

It appears Brown is righting the ship to get Mo some badly needed help on the block. Maybe then we'll be subjected to less of the endless "Mo don't hit the boards" nonsense, because I really don't feel like pulling up old individual rebounding stats from over the last 10-15 years ok? A lot of our posters minds have rather -ahem- dimmed with nostalgia when talking about the good ol' days, when WSU used to dine on backboards (even though GGG rarely, if ever, could gets his troupes to out-board Houston).

So, yeah, I agree, let's please give up the gamesmanship about who did what, when.

Leave a comment:

• SHOXAAC
    replied

If it wasn't for Mo's 6 blocked shots and 6 rebounds (tying for the game lead) against the mighty glass-eaters of houston WSU would have lost their biggest game of the year. You, know the one that basically won the conference for WSU, and for all intent and purposes got them invited to the dance? Are we talking about the same Udeze who kept us in the game against Drake and their 6'10" 275 lb. pivot, while Tyson was going 0-fer from the field, with 1 point and 1 assist? You must be talking about a different Udeze. You seem to do that a lot.

Do you consider taking charges a tough display of on-the-block defense, because you proudly give the impression you don't?

Marshal's gone dude, and the Shocks are gonna' be alright under Brown, ok? He will continue to bring in some BIG men to help Mo on the boards. Really.
    It was 5 blocked shots, not 6 but still a great game. You know he laid an egg in the first Houston game and only had 3 rebounds. We lost by only 7. In our losses to Missouri and OSU he combined for 14 points and 5 rebounds. We can play this game all night. Udeze is serviceable...nothing else. I am glad he is a Shocker and I root hard for him and all other players each game. The post position isn't a strength of ours with Udeze in the game. It also isn't a major weakness. It just is what it is.

Leave a comment:

• ShockingButTrue
    replied
    Originally posted by Shockm View Post

You think he should continue to play 30 minutes a game. Imo, he should play maybe 20 minutes give or take. We have no interior defense or rebounding. Pohto would help in this area and on offense. McFarlane and Pohto could divide time and with extreme competition, our best players at the 4 and 5 could divide minutes. Let’s be better.
    If it wasn't for Mo's 6 blocked shots and 6 rebounds (tying for the game lead) against the mighty glass-eaters of houston WSU would have lost their biggest game of the year. You, know the one that basically won the conference for WSU, and for all intent and purposes got them invited to the dance? Are we talking about the same Udeze who kept us in the game against Drake and their 6'10" 275 lb. pivot, while Tyson was going 0-fer from the field, with 1 point and 1 assist? You must be talking about a different Udeze. You seem to do that a lot.

Do you consider taking charges a tough display of on-the-block defense, because you proudly give the impression you don't?

Marshal's gone dude, and the Shocks are gonna' be alright under Brown, ok? He will continue to bring in some BIG men to help Mo on the boards. Really.

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    replied
    Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Compare Mo’s stats to any of our previous centers in their Junior year and he stacks up well. Then remember that those guys all played in the Valley their Junior year.

Does he have limitations? Sure, what player on the team doesn’t? He needs to improve his rebounding most of all and also his defense. If he could develop a reliable 15 foot jumper to use on occasion it would be great.

I know exactly what Mo is as a player which is why I appreciate him so much. You seem to want him to be some NBA level center which he isn’t and we’ve never had at WSU* in the Marshall era. We get big men who are undersized, lazy, good at some things, not so good at others, etc then coach them up to accentuate their skills and develop their weaknesses. I look at it as the center by committee approach. We didn’t have that last year, at all. Mo wasn’t the thing holding us back at center last year it was the lack of depth and options behind him.

Darnell Brodie - 6’10, 275 - Mo had 22, 4 boards.
    Michael Durr - Mo had 12 and 7.
    Cisse - Mo had 10 points.

He had good games and bad games when we faced teams with a larger front line.
    You think he should continue to play 30 minutes a game. Imo, he should play maybe 20 minutes give or take. We have no interior defense or rebounding. Pohto would help in this area and on offense. McFarlane and Pohto could divide time and with extreme competition, our best players at the 4 and 5 could divide minutes. Let’s be better.

Maybe you think we should should just go with 10 players on our roster or fill the spots with players who aren’t capable of contributing or creating competition for spots. The best players should play and this year, I hope we win another AAC Championship, with a full schedule this time.

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Stats say he played 8 minutes per game.
    Right, but did not play in every game. He was a very minor player that year.

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan View Post
    And by the way, Lufile barely played as a junior.
    Stats say he played 8 minutes per game.

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    And by the way, Lufile barely played as a junior.

Leave a comment:

• molly jabali
    replied
    and to think...he almost didn't come back.....

Turn that record the other direction....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X