X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheShocktocles
    replied
    Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I’ve been more consistently correct about Mo this year than you or his other two main detractors. He proved himself throughout the year so that by the end of the season most people had either accepted that he was better than they thought or just kept to themselves because it looked obtuse to criticize a guy who was obviously playing well.

I am willing to bet that he will improve his rebounding and defense for a couple reasons.

1) Big men always take more time to develop. Usually their Junior and senior seasons are their most productive with senior year being their best.

2) Look at how much he improved his offensive game and free throw shooting this past off season. If he puts the same amount of effort into his rebounding, defense, passing and shot blocking I have no doubt he can and will improve in all those areas. He’s 6’8 with a 7’0 wingspan. He moves well. He can get better at all those things.

I’ve said all along the “solution” is we need more depth. Mo was good but we suffered when he had to come off the court.

They aren’t looking for a 3 headed monster as a result of Mo’s play this year. They’re looking because that’s how we’ve always staffed the position in the Marshall era.
    I think Big MO will improve over the summer. Looking forward to next season.

Leave a comment:

• another shocker
    replied
    udeze was clearly the team mvp later in the season/postseason. he was well more than just serviceable.

etienne faded out somehow by then. strange because for so much of the season he was spectacular. like, first team all midwest region, division 5 (mvc, aac, big 10, big 12, mac.. that division rating they used to do). i really hope he comes back consistent next year, because he has a way-high ceiling.

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    replied

I’ve been more consistently correct about Mo this year than you or his other two main detractors. He proved himself throughout the year so that by the end of the season most people had either accepted that he was better than they thought or just kept to themselves because it looked obtuse to criticize a guy who was obviously playing well.

I am willing to bet that he will improve his rebounding and defense for a couple reasons.

1) Big men always take more time to develop. Usually their Junior and senior seasons are their most productive with senior year being their best.

2) Look at how much he improved his offensive game and free throw shooting this past off season. If he puts the same amount of effort into his rebounding, defense, passing and shot blocking I have no doubt he can and will improve in all those areas. He’s 6’8 with a 7’0 wingspan. He moves well. He can get better at all those things.

I’ve said all along the “solution” is we need more depth. Mo was good but we suffered when he had to come off the court.

They aren’t looking for a 3 headed monster as a result of Mo’s play this year. They’re looking because that’s how we’ve always staffed the position in the Marshall era.
    We will agree to disagree. He can’t jump and he can’t rim protect. He does draw charges. The Coaching staff also obviously disagrees with you too.

Leave a comment:

• pie n eye
    replied
    Originally posted by Shockm View Post

20 minutes is 1/2 of the minutes at that position. How is that replacing him? If we have 3 Centers (a 3 headed Monster is what IB referred to), you make no sense.

Also, Mo didn’t improve his rebounding significantly during the year, this year, (while he averaged 25-30 minutes per game the last half of the year, he only brought his reb. average up maybe 1 rebound ), and his rim protecting was almost nonexistent, so what evidence tells you he will improve next year. Our coaches realize that Mo is a poor rebounding Center (perhaps 5 rebounds per game at best), and a poor rim protector, so they are looking for a 3 headed Monster to find a solution. Sorry, pie, but you’ve buried your head in the sand and given up looking for a solution to it.

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    replied

Mo needs reinforcement, not replacement.

His rebounding and shot blocking stats will improve next year.
    20 minutes is 1/2 of the minutes at that position. How is that replacing him? If we have 3 Centers (a 3 headed Monster is what IB referred to), you make no sense.

Also, Mo didn’t improve his rebounding significantly during the year, this year, (while he averaged 25-30 minutes per game the last half of the year, he only brought his reb. average up maybe 1 rebound ), and his rim protecting was almost nonexistent, so what evidence tells you he will improve next year. Our coaches realize that Mo is a poor rebounding Center (perhaps 5 rebounds per game at best), and a poor rim protector, so they are looking for a 3 headed Monster to find a solution. Sorry, pie, but you’ve buried your head in the sand and given up looking for a solution to it.
    Last edited by Shockm; April 24, 2021, 03:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pie n eye
    replied
    Originally posted by Shockm View Post
    But we can all put our heads in the sand, and ignore the facts. I think our coaches haven't put their heads in the sand, and have seen those deficiencies, thus their push to recruit players who have better rebounding and rim protecting skills.
    Mo needs reinforcement, not replacement.

His rebounding and shot blocking stats will improve next year.

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    replied
    The starting Center at Houston, Goreham at 6'8" averaged 8.5 rebounds per game. Our guy averaged 4.7. The new Center we recruited, will obviously double (sarcasm intended) Mo's rebounding average to equal Goreham's, and raise Mo's blocks per game to much more than 0.3 blocks per game (if you take out the 2 games in which Mo blocked 8)

I like Mo, and Mo deserves to play good minutes (imo 20 minutes or so, but coaches will know best), but he has some deficiencies that won't be cured. But we can all put our heads in the sand, and ignore the facts. I think our coaches haven't put their heads in the sand, and have seen those deficiencies, thus their push to recruit players who have better rebounding and rim protecting skills.

I do agree though that Mo works his ass off. That isn't one of his deficiencies.
    Last edited by Shockm; April 24, 2021, 09:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ShockingButTrue
    replied
    Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post

This is complete bs. Mo was catching it with his back to the basket all season, backing defenders down, and either pivoting and scoring or hooking it over the top for score or whipping around putting it on the floor and scoring. Back to the basket is the primary way he played and received the ball all year. Go back and watch. Sure he got some assists while being in position facing the bucket but many more on post up moves. Mo was solid this year.
    Yep.

Mo is all we had down on the block to keep the other team's D occupied (no cheating) in the paint. How could anyone not notice that? Seriously. I was glad to see Dakich admire what Mo brought to the team.

Leave a comment:

• ShockingButTrue
    replied
    Originally posted by WstateU View Post

It's easy, he simply works his a$$ off...
    Hell yeah. It's baffling how educated b-ball fans couldn't notice that.

But, I'm really excited to see the Shocks next year with, at a minimum, Houston type size on the front line. That's not quite Kentucky size (or Memphis) but it's better than what we had this past season.

Leave a comment:

• Ashockalypse
    replied
    Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

He seemed to do a lot better when we started driving more and he would find a spot under the basket. When the help defense left him alone he would get easy buckets. He seemed to thrive in that more than trying to be a pure post player with his back to the basket.
    This is complete bs. Mo was catching it with his back to the basket all season, backing defenders down, and either pivoting and scoring or hooking it over the top for score or whipping around putting it on the floor and scoring. Back to the basket is the primary way he played and received the ball all year. Go back and watch. Sure he got some assists while being in position facing the bucket but many more on post up moves. Mo was solid this year.

Leave a comment:

• molly jabali
    replied
    Originally posted by Topshock View Post

So you think humans can't be qualified to judge talent, if said talent is better than they ever were.

Ridiculous statement.
    On a VERY shallow FAN'S EYE level ....yes. But on a really know the game level, not so much, and not by most people...myself included.

I was fortunate to play ball at a college level for a bit, but my last couple of years in college, I sat in the stands and critiqued the coach mercilessly......'he's an idiot!" Then I wandered into a small time, relatively shortlived coaching hoops 'career'...and I quickly found out how stupid I was about the inner workers....

So...yeah...I think we are often way harsh when we don't know and couldn't do ourselves.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

He seemed to do a lot better when we started driving more and he would find a spot under the basket. When the help defense left him alone he would get easy buckets. He seemed to thrive in that more than trying to be a pure post player with his back to the basket.
    This is exactly his best offense and where he did most of his damage

Leave a comment:

• shock
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Shaq - Lazy, fouls too much
    Durley - lazy
    Stutz - Fifi, gets stuffed by 6 footers
    Echenique - weak east hands in the league
    Orukpe - hands of stone, no offense
    Miller - the original fifi

These are the descriptions of the best centers we’ve had under Marshall before their senior years
    Miller played for Turg

Leave a comment:

• ABC
    replied
    I think his footwork down low is pretty good. He is able to score over and around bigger centers.

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    replied
    Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
    I'm getting the impression that Mo is undersized, doesn't get off the floor well, and has a limited skillset. But when I look at his stats, he made over 60% of his FG attempts. That's some amazing efficiency for a guy with all those weaknesses. How does he overcome all those weaknesses and still put the ball in the basket that efficiently?
    It's easy, he simply works his a$$ off...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X