Coaching Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching Changes

Figured I'd start a thread to discuss various coaching changes.

Steve Wojciechowski out at Marquette.

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
    Figured I'd start a thread to discuss various coaching changes.

Steve Wojciechowski out at Marquette.
    Coaching Carousel will be pretty crazy this year. Think a lot of teams held off on moves last year are going to do it this year. Will be a lot of competition for any good coaches in the market.

Comment

Texas might be done with Smart. Marshall to Austin!
      Phi Alpha

Comment

Porter Mosier just made himself a trainload of money.

Comment

I bet we are all glad we changed conferences to land one of those great established coaches post HCGM...then again I heard an interview with coaches at the time we were changing conferences and they all thought the WSU job got much harder with a conference change. In their opinion - The recruiting competition increased while the WSU closing pitch actually got harder to make (We win a lot and go to the tournament every year).

Comment

ESPN has a good running log of the changes, simple and efficient format.

Earl Grant to BC.
            An up-to-date list of every coaching change in college basketball ahead of the 2021-22 season.

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
              I bet we are all glad we changed conferences to land one of those great established coaches post HCGM...then again I heard an interview with coaches at the time we were changing conferences and they all thought the WSU job got much harder with a conference change. In their opinion - The recruiting competition increased while the WSU closing pitch actually got harder to make (We win a lot and go to the tournament every year).
              Yeah if there is one thing I know about successful coaches, they all shy away from challenges and doubt that they can win anywhere they go.

I can’t imagine why recruits would want to come play in 10k seat arena that sells out every game. And winning? Forget about it now that we’re in the American. Three top four finishes our first four years including a championship and runner up.

Want to make the NCAA tournament? Better look elsewhere. WSU has only made it in two of three years since joining the American.

Surely you aren’t seriously trying to compare what happened with our coaching situation this year to what would have happened if he had coached another 5-10 years?

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Yeah if there is one thing I know about successful coaches, they all shy away from challenges and doubt that they can win anywhere they go.

I can’t imagine why recruits would want to come play in 10k seat arena that sells out every game. And winning? Forget about it now that we’re in the American. Three top four finishes our first four years including a championship and runner up.

Want to make the NCAA tournament? Better look elsewhere. WSU has only made it in two of three years since joining the American.

Surely you aren’t seriously trying to compare what happened with our coaching situation this year to what would have happened if he had coached another 5-10 years?
                I was messing around... definitely not serious and was happy to see HCIB earn the gig.

Comment

You're one weird hombre.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Yep. I am sure Johnny 4* from Charlotte or Florida or Georgia would love to come play in the MVC and get to travel to such metropolis' as Terra Haute, Cedar Falls, Normal, Peoria, Springpatch, and Carbondale. Oh yeah baby...

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                      Yep. I am sure Johnny 4* from Charlotte or Florida or Georgia would love to come play in the MVC and get to travel to such metropolis' as Terra Haute, Cedar Falls, Normal, Peoria, Springpatch, and Carbondale. Oh yeah baby...
                      No doubt - I doubt HCGM focused on those lovely locations. His focus would have been Winning, National Profile, Tournament Success... or all those reasons guys like Landry stated that they chose WSU over BCS offers.

Comment

No doubt - I doubt HCGM focused on those lovely locations. His focus would have been Winning, National Profile, Tournament Success... or all those reasons guys like Landry stated that they chose WSU over BCS offers.
                        And he had a lot of recruits blow him off or not let him in the door because they weren't going to play for anyone in the MVC. Even Marshall admitted more doors opened simply by being in the American and I forget which recruit we landed that stated they wouldn't have considered an MVC Wichita State.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

You're one weird hombre.
                          I don't understand your perspective at all. Your out there like 76 was imo.

When I re-read my statement, I want to clarify that Proshox's perspective is way out there on the issue of wanting to rewind history and go back to the Valley. That makes zero sense.
                          Last edited by Shockm; March 22, 2021, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

And he had a lot of recruits blow him off or not let him in the door because they weren't going to play for anyone in the MVC. Even Marshall admitted more doors opened simply by being in the American and I forget which recruit we landed that stated they wouldn't have considered an MVC Wichita State.
                            A lot of players today will also pick schools where they think they have the best chance to develop into a pro. The bigger the audience and more people that watch them over a course of a season, the better. Several of our players getting pro contracts the last couple of years were due in large part to getting seen more on a national stage-Rashard Kelly for one.
                            Last edited by shoxlax; March 22, 2021, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Some interesting thoughts here.

Moving to the American undoubtedly opened doors that would not have been open otherwise for recruiting. By the same token, our margin for error in getting the recruits we need has decreased drastically. We would not be able to take a flier on as many players as we have in the Valley (some of which worked out and some of which did not). This makes it more difficult because the ROI for looking for diamonds in the rough also decreases. But the current ability of players we need to recruit in the AAC needs to check more boxes than it did in the Vallley. So I wouldn't say it becomes more difficult from a brand recognition standpoint, but it has more to do with the field of players who fit the criteria we need narrowing.
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                              X