21-22 Wishlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Oh give me a freaking break. If the roles were reversed, you'd be arguing against it just to be a homer.

We also could've games to ECU, Temple, etc. but we have know way of knowing because we didn't play the games. We won the league this year by a technicality. I'll take the No.1 seed and it shoul'dve given us a clear path to the title game and an avoidance of the NCAA play-in game, but of course that didn't work out. There definitely is an asterisk on the championship this year.
    Personally Fev, I think there is an asterisk on the whole NCAA basketball season, not on any of the teams. A team could somewhat control the COVID thing for themselves, but not for other teams. Maybe an asterisk should be put on OSU's victory at WSU. They won against a short-handed team by only 3. Maybe we hurt ourselves by not properly preparing our COVID response to make sure we could have played in Dakota. Yet, we beat ORU who, as a 15 seed, just beat a 2 seed from the top conference in NCAA basketball in Ohio St. If putting an asterisk by the conference championship it should also state that WSU was not at all responsible for the number of missed games or teams/coaches/league that would make sure as many as possible of those games were made up. Just what did WSU do NOT to deserve the championship??

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
      Honestly think giving him a multi year contract extension was stupid... And can't give any reason to why it was done. Beating Houston at home in a Covid year is not the reason. Boatwright made a quick rash decision and i hope it doesn't come back to bite is in the @$$. Hope I'm severely wrong.
      Coming from the person who, on March 18, 2021, didn’t know that this year doesn’t count against players eligibility.
      Last edited by pie n eye; March 19, 2021, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Coming from the person who, on April 18, 2021, didn’t know that this year doesn’t count against players eligibility.
        Can I have the lottery numbers for the 17th, please? In PM if you don’t mind. Don’t want to share.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Not hiring the AAC Coach of the year and coach of the team that won the AAC wouldn't have played out well. It might end up being the wrong decision in the long run, but it was the only decision in the short term. We literally went from being the dark story of the season to the feel good story of the season. That matters ... no matter how much people like to scream on here that it doesn't .. how the program is perceived in the national spotlight matters. The opinion of fans on message boards does not matter. That's just the reality of it. We repaired our program image in 3 months.
          The “story” doesn’t matter anymore than what Shockernet thinks. That’s called being a prisoner of the moment. Making a decision because you’re worried some media member(s) are going to write a nasty article is not smart.

If we hired him or if we hired someone else people are going to have opinions. And then 10 minutes later something else will happen and they’ll move on.

Hiring Isaac Brown when we did could end up looking just as dumb long term as waiting until the end of the season and hiring someone else. It’s called life. You take the available information, make a decision, then live with the results.

If he was hired because he was our best option based on all available information then great. If he was hired because of a feel good story...not so great.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

This is a very fair statement. I just think the overreaction, considering how much we exceeded expectations this year, is a little embarrassing for the fanbase. We won the Fing league (Marshall never did that). We went to the tourney from the AAC (something Marshall only did 1 out of the 2 years (last year was a toss up if we would have made it). Yet we have people on here saying that a couple bad games saying we have tanked our program forever and the entire athletic department needs to be fired. Seriously. The amount of people that only remember the good times from Marshall is amazing. We lost to 13 seed Marshall with a freaking first round draft pick on the team.
            You are really hung up on the Marshall thing, you have been all season. I think it’s clouding your judgment.

You act like the good times with Marshall were the blip on the radar when it’s actually the other way around. We remember the good times because they were bountiful.

Sure, keep mentioning the loss to Marshall because no other team has ever been upset by a lower seed in the NCAA tourney.

I have as much respect for what the team did this year in winning the American but you’re acting like Marshall never sniffed the title when in fact we were a bounce away from winning it in a year where the conference was very good at the top.

It just seems like you’re twisting yourself into a pretzel trying to defend Brown when, in my opinion, he really doesn’t even need defending. Some people are bringing up some questions that, while reasonable, no one will know the answer to for years. Other people either just don’t know what they’re talking about or had some pretty weird expectations for a guy who was forced into the HC job a week before the season started.

Comment

You are really hung up on the Marshall thing, you have been all season. I think it’s clouding your judgment.

You act like the good times with Marshall were the blip on the radar when it’s actually the other way around. We remember the good times because they were bountiful.

Sure, keep mentioning the loss to Marshall because no other team has ever been upset by a lower seed in the NCAA tourney.

I have as much respect for what the team did this year in winning the American but you’re acting like Marshall never sniffed the title when in fact we were a bounce away from winning it in a year where the conference was very good at the top.

It just seems like you’re twisting yourself into a pretzel trying to defend Brown when, in my opinion, he really doesn’t even need defending. Some people are bringing up some questions that, while reasonable, no one will know the answer to for years. Other people either just don’t know what they’re talking about or had some pretty weird expectations for a guy who was forced into the HC job a week before the season started.
              The only thing off with your assessment is the last sentence. If he hadn’t been hired, that would be valid. The consternation is about the future being tainted by the horrible showing in the post season.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

The only thing off with your assessment is the last sentence. If he hadn’t been hired, that would be valid. The consternation is about the future being tainted by the horrible showing in the post season.
                I just don’t agree it was that horrible. It looked a lot like the regular season except we lost two close games instead of winning.

There were times in all three games where we played really well and looked like a team ready to put the other team away. Then predictably, because it happened in almost every single game, we took dumb shots, played great defense only to have two guys knock the easy rebound off each other or have it bounce off their hands or some other bizarre thing. Not to mention our best player missing free throws while the other team gets every big bucket and break right when they needed to get back in the game almost immediately.

Could we have gone out and hired someone who had a long track record of success as a head coach? Probably? I don’t see why not. It still wouldn’t guarantee anything.

At the same time, I don’t think it’s fair to think that Brown can’t or won’t learn and grow from this season or that things we all complained about this year won’t improve next year when he and the new players are settled in with a year under their belts.

I don’t know about you guys but my first go around at a new job or task is never as good as my next. This was a pretty good start, I’m excited and interested to see what happens next.

Comment

I actually think you and I are much closer in agreement than what you are saying here. I bring up the failures of Marshall because many of the people who scream and hollar after every time the team has a bad game and start calling IB a mistake before he's had a chance to really do anything were the same ones screaming from Day 1 that we tanked the program by letting Marshall resign. I only think it's fair if those posters are going to start making claims like "this is the high point of IBs career", that they be reminded that **** was all rosy all the time even under a hall of fame level coach. Crappy games happen. That's all I'm saying.

Comment

Man, everyone acting like WSU got blown out. Literally covered the spread.

Comment

Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
                      Great! We are good enough to be the #3 team in the MVC this year.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Great! We are good enough to be the #3 team in the MVC this year.
                        Ok, let’s wait and see how far Houston goes in the tournament and play the other side of that stupid game.

Comment

Ok, let’s wait and see how far Houston goes in the tournament and play the other side of that stupid game.
                          Are we hanging a “covered the spread in the play-in game” banner?

Comment

Are we hanging a “covered the spread in the play-in game” banner?
                            No, and I agree that waving “covered the spread” around like it’s some kind of accomplishment is absolutely ridiculous.

We will hang an NCAA banner though.

Comment

Horrible showing in the post season is what Ohio St, Tennessee, Purdue, and UNC have done so far. 1 point loss to a team seeded the same as you that was 26-4 for the season and was basically a toss-up by Vegas isn't a horrible loss. Unfortunate and probably should have won, yes. That would had have happened had our leading scorer made just one bucket or 2-3 from the line, your PG hit 1 of 5 3s; our bench score 3 points, not 1 and goes just 1-9 (that includes RC and CJ); other than AG, getting 4, not 3 assists from the rest of the team.

Actually, it was how we had played for most of the year, except 1 of the above just didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
                                Jesus, are you serious? Going with Stick Logic? WGAF that we covered a spread against DRAKE? Is that what this program is about now? Good God.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X